Magic Shine waterproof

bentes
bentes Posts: 286
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hi guys!

I'm a happy owner of a MagicShine bike light. I'm quite happy with it except for the battery. It just looks like 4 batteries stuck together with tape, wich is fine if you're riding in the dry summer, but what happens when the weather starts to turn? It doesn't look very water / mud proof.

How do you isolate it?

Thanks!
Bentes

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I also have one...

I wrap mine in a plastic baggie, before putting it in the little pouch....and strapping it under my top tube...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bentes
    Hi Cee!
    Thanks for the reply.
    That's a good idea, I was thinking about buying the helmet adaptor so I would carry the battery on my backpack. I usually overcomplicate things... :oops:

Thanks! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What voltage are the batteries? I used to race RC cars years ago, and the 7.2V battery packs never had a problem even with massive waterlogging. The voltage just wasn't high enough to cause any major shorts.

See, Water isn't actually a conductor, it's just a bad insulator, if you see what I mean.
  • bentes
    I don't really know...
    I googled it a bit and this is what the battery pack looks like:

140.jpg

Wich I guess internally is something like this:

wetbat.JPG

Wich I guess again it's 4 of these:
    18650.jpg

http://www.batteryjunction.com/2600pcb-18650.html
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Sounds like a job for an old goretex jacket + some needle and thread.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    Silicone sealant, look on MTBR forum theres plenty of threads with pics showing what other people have done! and even shows the battery in a glass of water with the light on and a timer showing it lasted half hour! Cheapest and least labourous way of doing it!
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    what do you use to recharge ithe unit ?
  • bentes
    Looks like I'll have to get into craftsmanship... or just bag it and tape it. :)
    Thanks for your answers! 8)
    merlie wrote:
    what do you use to recharge ithe unit ?
    The supplied charger:
    250-3_750.jpg
  • merlie
    ok .....

any users in the UK ?

its got some 2 pin thingy
  • Anonymous
    merlie wrote:
    ok .....

any users in the UK ?

Adapter for a few bob from argos?
  • bentes
    merlie wrote:
    ok .....

any users in the UK ?

Adapter for a few bob from argos?

Actually I got mine from http://magicshineuk.co.uk and it's got the uk plug. I have to use an adapter so I can charge it with decent wall sockets. :P
  • I've been out it some very torrential rain with no additional water proofing and never had a problem.

I shove the two pin plug into a shaver socket at 240v to charge it, I first tried it at 110v but the LED didn't change colour to show that it was charging.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Anonymous
    Hang on, Hang on.
    So it still takes 240V, but just has a funny plug?
    Why the flinking blip don't you just cut the plug off, and stick a normal one on it then?
  • Because it's not just a plug, it has an indicator LED on it to show when it's charging and when it's finished.
  • Anonymous
    Ah, gotcha. I thought it was like the one I got for charging the P7 batteries, where there's a mains lead, with the wrong plug.
  • merlie
    I've been out it some very torrential rain with no additional water proofing and never had a problem.

I shove the two pin plug into a shaver socket at 240v to charge it, I first tried it at 110v but the LED didn't change colour to show that it was charging.

.. so did it charge successfully using the shaver plug ?
  • Yeah, used it all last winter. There were a lot of reports of chargers going pop but I've had no such problem.
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    I had 3 chargers blow up before I got one that worked.

I cling filmed my battery pack during the snow and that seemed to work ok as a quick fix short term answer.
    Shot by both sides...
  • Anonymous
    Has anybody tried using the batteries in the rain and snow WITHOUT wrapping them in something?
  • Has anybody tried using the batteries in the rain and snow WITHOUT wrapping them in something?
    Yes.
    I've been out it some very torrential rain with no additional water proofing and never had a problem.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have also run the light with no waterproofing.....the case was sodden when i got home, so i decided to put it in a baggie....but that is probably paranioa....

it was fine on the night.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Has anybody tried using the batteries in the rain and snow WITHOUT wrapping them in something?
    Yes.
    Ah, right, I missed that, sorry Boris.
    That's just what I suspect though, the voltage shouldn't really cause any problems with water.
  • bentes
    Cool.

If it's good enough for the wet weathered brits, it's surelly good enough for me.
    (but I'll still wrap it on a bag or something.. ;) )

Thanks guys.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I've asked on the road forum but will ask here as I think at least as many off-roaders use these as on-roaders !
    My Magicshine light (as pictured in this thread, id 25149) has a duff charger - well pretty sure it's the charger anyway.
    CRC had a Nuke Proof charger that I'm lead to believe works on these batteries and is 'smart' so protects the batteries and I reckoned would be worth the cost. In stock on their website so I ordered it n Sunday. Tues am I get an email saying they DON'T have one - great !
    I can probably source it somewhere else but so far haven't found one actually in stock. Question : is there another 'smart' type charger that I can source for the Magicshine batteries, the LUU one that P-X sell has been suggested and it's a bit cheaper.
  • This?:
    http://magicshineuk.co.uk

Go to bike lights accessories and look at the replacement charger, it's uk specific.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Cheers - their charger for MJ-808, MJ-816 and MJ-818 would suit but don't think it's particularly 'smart'
  • the mj816 comes with a waterproof aly canister which the battery sits in. Check out ebay someone is selling to be put simply a water bottle which works as a waterproof battery casing.
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What about one of these.
    http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/5.html
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I put my battery pack in a condom (I figure they are pretty waterproof and deal with heat a bit better than a plastic bag). I twisted it round the wire and wrapped it back on itself. 1 waterproof battery! I then put it back in the fabric bag and no-one has noticed yet! Except my secret's now out :-)

Cue jokes about always being prepared on the trail and using a ribbed one for better cooling/grip!

:D :shock: :lol:
  • Andyrr - I've got the Nukeproof charger and it does what it says on the tin. Just be aware it doesn't come with the plug - you need a plug from an old radio or something. You'll probably have one somewhere but just in case...