What you can be fined for

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Great article at London Cyclist http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/features/cyclist-fined/
The law and cycling have always had a tough relationship. On one hand cyclists are road users and therefore should follow the rules of the road like everyone else. On the other if a cyclist doesn’t follow the rules the consequences are likely to be less severe simply considering the size of a bike versus that of a car. The rules are there to make using the UK’s roads a more safe and enjoyable experience yet in recent times a lack of clear definitions and revisions to provide for the increase in cycling have left people frustrated.

Just look at the difficulty James Randerson from the Guardian recently had in discovering whether cars in advanced stop boxes were breaking the law. He had to go through 3 different government departments before getting the answer. In the end he discovered it is illegal and carries 3 points on your licence and a £60 fine....

It then goes on to list the various fines for common cycle indiscretions.

This is an interesting one; "Taking part in an unauthorised race and carrying passengers". Could it be that SCR is breaking the law? :P

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I would say that SCR is exempt as there is no organised competition, no official competitors, no start or end point, no indepentent officials and no prizes.

Doesn't mean it doesn't feel good to win though!

As for passengers, I don't think I've given anyone a backie for at least 20 years, but where do rickshaws come under the law? They are cycles, but are designed to take passengers?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    SCR: It's not a race... :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    the first rule of SCR, etc
    FCN 12
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Fines and punishments for cyclists are self-evidently too low because so many cyclists commit offences.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    A British Transport Police anchor tried to fine me thirty quid the other day for cycling on the pavement outside Newport Station. By cycling on the pavement read "stationary on the bike waiting for the green man to appear so that I can cross the road and cycle ON the road in the opposite direction after cycling ON the road to get to the crossing" Jumped up little prat. :twisted:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Oh dear, you do know that it is illegal to ride on a pedestrian crossing don't you ?

That is what you implied you were going to do.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    plowmar wrote:
    Oh dear, you do know that it is illegal to ride on a pedestrian crossing don't you ?

That is what you implied you were going to do.
    unless it is a toucan crossing, but then there is a little green bicycle light.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:
    Fines and punishments for cyclists are self-evidently too low because so many cyclists commit offences.

same can be said for any crime being commited though... people still do it even though there are consequences
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    Yeah, but if 1% of people commit burglary and 50% of cyclists run red lights, so the disincentives for burglary are obviously much more effective.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:
    Yeah, but if 1% of people commit burglary and 50% of cyclists run red lights, so the disincentives for burglary are obviously much more effective.

Or... running a red light isn't deemed as serious and doesn't have a victim (in the eyes of the rlj'er)... so people think no harm no foul?

I assume those numbers have zero merit...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    Clever Pun wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Or... running a red light isn't deemed as serious and doesn't have a victim (in the eyes of the rlj'er)... so people think no harm no foul?

I assume those numbers have zero merit...

Exactly. If people deem no harm and they're not punished, then they're going to do it. If they are punished then they may think it's unfair but they're less likely to do it, see what I mean?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Clever Pun wrote:
    biondino wrote:

same can be said for any crime being commited though... people still do it even though there are consequences

And people still commit murder around the world despite the various death penalties. :?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It tends to be the chance of getting caught, not the severity of the punishment that affects people's decision making.

How many people deliberately speed past a sped camera, where (assuming it's on, they're the registered keeper etc) there's a 100% chance of a small punishment.

But then how many people commit murder or other crimes that could lead to life in prison/death penalty in some places. Much more serious penalty, but people still do it because they think they'll get away with it.

I guess it's the same with RLJing. If the 'bike police' were at the lights, very few regular RLJers would jump the red light, assuming they saw the police and knew what they were up to, whether it was a telling off, a £30 fine or a week in jail as punishment.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fixed penalty for RLJ is £60, and yes a £30 for riding on the pavement.

While I agree with discretion by the Police, I do think we need a lot of clamping down on a lot of errant cyclists, I see some dreadful examples, including a 60 something YO women I watched jump to RL's yesterday!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • biondino wrote:
    Yeah, but if 1% of APPLES commit burglary and 50% of ORANGES run red lights, so the disincentives for burglary are obviously much more effective.

Wow worst stat of the day! You can't compare apples and oranges. as for disincentives i wonder what the number of people killed in the commision of a burglary was this year as compared.........
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • i presume at some point shortly we'll have the leather clad police officers telling everyone on the boris bike scheme to "walk your bike" and metering out petty fines since 95% of the stations are actually on pavements.
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:
    Yeah, but if 1% of APPLES commit burglary and 50% of ORANGES run red lights, so the disincentives for burglary are obviously much more effective.

Wow worst stat of the day! You can't compare apples and oranges. as for disincentives i wonder what the number of people killed in the commision of a burglary was this year as compared.........

You didn't understand. The only relevant point is that there are obviously not enough deterrents for cyclists, whereas there are enough (or nearly enough) deterrents for burglars. That's why way more people RLJ, say, than nick stuff, even though getting free stuff is pretty much a universal desire.
  • Nerrep
    Nerrep Posts: 112
    biondino wrote:
    biondino wrote:

You didn't understand. The only relevant point is that there are obviously not enough deterrents for cyclists, whereas there are enough (or nearly enough) deterrents for burglars. That's why way more people RLJ, say, than nick stuff, even though getting free stuff is pretty much a universal desire.
    I'm pretty certain it's not. I don't nick stuff because there are compelling ethical reasons not too. I occasionally cycle through red lights because it doesn't harm anyone.
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    biondino wrote:

stats can be made to claim anything....

what if 50% of thieves commit burglary & 1% of people rlj, the disincentives for rlj are obviously much more effective :wink:
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I went to Barcelona recently.

There is a 180-to-900 Euro fine for urinating in the street.

There is a 30 Euro fine for a cyclist hitting a ped on a pavement. As far as I could tell, there is no fine for simply cycling on the pavement, which loads of cyclists were doing.