Exercise to strengthen upper body

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I went to Glentress yesterday, probably an easy ride for most here as I only did the skills loop and the lower half of the blue. But I'm feeling it this morning, my arms and lower back are stiff.

What exercises can I do off the bike to strengthen these muscles.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just keep riding. Depending on what you're doing, you can work almost any muscle in your body whilst riding.
    You COULD hit the freeweights and do squats etc, but if you just keep riding what you're riding, you'll get there.
    And besides, why do something else, instead of riding?
  • suzyb
    I don't always have the time to get to Glentress (or Carron Valley) though. And I don't seem to get that same upper body workout on any local rides as I have at both those places.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I know the feeling suzy...

we did uplift at innerleithen yesterday and boy are my arms feeling it today.....

have a look here: http://www.bikejames.com/

for some bike specific gym excercises....this guy coaches Aaron Gwin and a few other high profile riders....its gym work, but his philosophy is that it should all be aimed at improving a movement or strength required for riding....

Cheers,

C
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Well, in that case, push ups, bench presses, crunches, and plenty of powerball to keep the "hand being smashed by a lump hammer" arm pump feeling at bay.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Powerballs are great for forearm and a little for upper arms. Also, as they can be used pretty much anywhere anytime you are a bit more likely to use it.

Climbing is great for upper body strength and it's something else to do that is as much fun as riding but a bit different. (Start indoors and you can even do it over the winter and on the dark nights.)
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Anonymous
    I love climbing. I'm really REALLY bad at it though :lol:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Great bit of kit is "Total Gym", got the cheaper one. Look on Ebay
    If it's good enuff for Chuck Norris, its good enuff for me, matey!

Or a Swiss Ball or Bosu, which is 1/2 a Swiss Ball.
    Most give a basic guidelines brochure to help upper/mid and - GASP! - lower body too.

Cheapo kit is Bungees set from Argos, made by Nike. Again, instructions provided.
    Latest "fashion" bit of kit are Kettle Balls, but don't drop it your foot!

Finally, there's a "Iron Gym" which you can do Bicep Chin Ups, Tricep Dips, Sit Ups etc.
    About 20 quid or so.
  • suzyb
    Dr_Death wrote:
    Climbing is great for upper body strength and it's something else to do that is as much fun as riding but a bit different. (Start indoors and you can even do it over the winter and on the dark nights.)
    Maybe something for way off in the future. It would take me a verrry long time to get enough strength in my body to haul my fat @rse up a climbing wall :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Most of your weight is taken on your legs in climbing, actually. Obviously you need upper body strength too, but legs do far more of the work than most people think.
  • Splottboy
    I tried climbing, up some easier Snowdon stuff.
    Great sense of achievement when I got up something the others couldn't but shat meself too.

But, a young 'un I know was a very good climber, and he was just messing about in an indoor wall, just bouldering about 10ft up.

Slipped, or jumped - mixed strories - and landed badly. Spiral fracture for the lower leg.
    Had to have a cahe to hold it all together.

We got an indoor centre near me - The Beacon - but my kids ain't interested at all.
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    edited August 2010
    Hi Suzy.

Best way for building up your bike fitness is definitely just to keep riding. .

I was going to recommend that you come along to the glasgow mtb meetup group, but i notice you have already joined today. Monday is the easier night with people of all abilities coming along, or tuesday night for a bit more of a challenge. There are loads of cracking trails at mugdock park with something for everyone.
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Anonymous
    I've been to the Beacon loads of times, it's a great place.
  • Splottboy
    Used to take Coleg Menai Sports Science students there, belaying.

Bloody freezing in the winter tho!

Great centre to learn and shame not more in the area.
    Small one at Plas Menai/Plas y Brenin, and think theres something in Ynys Mon.

If you want a laugh, watch a caribina being tested to destruction at DMM.

Wow!!! Metal goes BEFORE the stitched attachments.
  • Anonymous
    Used to know some of the guys from DMM's local competitors.
    They had nothing to do with Hope (as in brakes) :wink:
  • suzyb
    Razer_MTB wrote:
    Hi Suzy.

Best way for building up your bike fitness is definitely just to keep riding. .

I was going to recommend that you come along to the glasgow mtb meetup group, but i notice you have already joined today. Monday is the easier night with people of all abilities coming along, or tuesday night for a bit more of a challenge. There are loads of cracking trails at mugdock park with something for everyone.
    I ride regularly with the Lanarkshire group already but like I mentioned it doesn't really give a upper body workout.

If you have any weekend beginner runs I may pop through but tbh I think it may be a bit far for a week night.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    one of the best upper body exercises you can do for cycling is the plank. Very easy and quick to do and can really help improve core muscles.
  • Splottboy
    If you buy a "Mens Fitness" mag -wear a false beard - there are Dozens of easy to do exercises to follow, with full programmes too.

This and "Mens Health" - wear a flase moustache - nearly ALWAYS give a away a 2nd mag, with fitness programmes.

Weight free workout,/Turning Fat into Muscle and Boxing Workout are two books I've gotten free.
    I've also got about 2 - 3 glossy exercise brochures which they gave away some time back.

For about 4 - 5 quid, cheap way to pick up some tips/free fitness advice!!!!
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    best bet would be to keep an eye on the site for rides that are coming up on weekends. To be honest, if you are already riding regularly with lanarkshire mtb, you will be able to slot into any ride with meetup as the ride is always tailored to suit those who turn up. If you're confident on technical stuff, then the ride will reflect that, and there are always chicken runs if you want to avoid the bigger stuff

in fact, just checked and if you are reasonably fit, there's a ride on in stirling for 22 aug (sunday). some toughish climbs, but good on the way back down. about red level.
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • aahjnnot
    aahjnnot Posts: 41
    A common fallacy is the belief that the best way of preparing for a sport is to practice it to the exclusion of other exercises. You need to build up a programme that mixes core exercises - planks, side-stars, aeroplane holds, deadlifts, fitball squats, etc - with targeted resistance training that focuses on the pecs, lats, biceps and triceps.
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:
    Weight free workout,/Turning Fat into Muscle
    A commonly quoted fallacy. You cannot turn fat into muscle, they're two completely different things.