Carrera subway 2 knackered chainset

rhysdad
rhysdad Posts: 5
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Hi all! Newbie to the forum so please be gentle!

I have a Carrera Subway 2, approx 4/5 years old in very good condition. I commute 18 miles a day and i'm now having problems with the chainset. It's had my joggy bottoms wound round the deraileur, as well as the chain, and it's really seen better days. It has a couple of broken teeth and it is buckled so i'm thinking of replaing it for a shiny new one. I can't seem to find the correct replacement for it though. I know it's a suntour and i can make out an 'F' on it but as it's a 16 speed model i need just the twin sprocket on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement please and a rough idea of cost......

Ta very much!

Comments

• sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Speak to your nearest store to identify which parts and then shop around for the best deal.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You might need a new bottom bracket (bearing) as well, as chainsets have different standards.

Do you know how many teeth are on the chainrings?

Also consider replacing cassette too ie all the lot at once.
  • rhysdad
    supersonic wrote:
    You might need a new bottom bracket (bearing) as well, as chainsets have different standards.

Do you know how many teeth are on the chainrings?

Also consider replacing cassette too ie all the lot at once.

In a perfect (ie not skint) world this would be the thing i'd do but, alas, funds (and the missus) do not permit extravagant spending of money on the old girl.......I'll see what nearest bike shop says i think....
  • supersonic
    Depends how worn it is - new chain may cause it to skip.
  • rhysdad
    supersonic wrote:
    Depends how worn it is - new chain may cause it to skip.

Okay, outer srocket has 44 teeth, inner 32. The cassette has started to 'tick' lately when freewheeling. Is this just a lubing issue though?
  • rhysdad
    Think i'll go for just replacing the chainrings.....might be the cheapest option for me.
  • supersonic
    Might be cheaper to buy a new chainset and remove the inner ring.

But for now look at 8 speed chainrings.

The tick could be one of many things, ie hub bearings.
  • I swapped the double with a cheap shimano triple on my old Subway 1 when it wore out I think it cost about 18 quid. The left hand grip shifter has plenty of spare range to cope with it.

For some reason when I did the same thing on my newer one, it wouldn't shift to the inner cog and I ended up having to fit a bigger bottom bracket with 2 spacers.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    rhysdad wrote:
    Hi all! Newbie to the forum so please be gentle!

I have a Carrera Subway 2, approx 4/5 years old in very good condition. I commute 18 miles a day and i'm now having problems with the chainset. It's had my joggy bottoms wound round the deraileur, as well as the chain, and it's really seen better days. It has a couple of broken teeth and it is buckled so i'm thinking of replaing it for a shiny new one. I can't seem to find the correct replacement for it though. I know it's a suntour and i can make out an 'F' on it but as it's a 16 speed model i need just the twin sprocket on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement please and a rough idea of cost......

Ta very much!

I have a spare crankset knocking around if you can pay postage (or collect from SW2). It's the original from a Subway 1, which has had a 46T chainring put on in place of the original big ring.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits