Shoes

jawooga
jawooga Posts: 530
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
First post, commuting newbie, don't know much, but here goes </tries not to sound like a philistine>...

I've only ever had cheap hybrids, 1km to work, 1km back, didn't care it was heavy awkward etc. However I moved house a year ago and am now driving ~20km each way to work, costing a lot in fuel.

So I decided to bite the bullet and get a bike through my work cyclescheme this weekend, with which I rather naively think I can commute regularly!!!

I did a bit of research and decided that to meet all my needs, come in under the £1k budget and of course be cool, I would buy the 2010 Kona Jake the Snake. I never had a cool bike as a kid so this is scratching a long held itch.

Anywayz, in my ignorance I went to the local bike shop, tried it out (knowing I wanted it come what may) and was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful a ride it was...

... except that I found the pedals a little slippery! In the days since, I realise they are clipless Shimano M505 for which you need the right shoes. So my question/s is/are:

Can I buy any shoes suitable for clipless pedals or are there things to consider?
What would people recommend?
Are shoes generic to clipless pedals?

Many thanks all, in antic. of your help.
J

Comments

• http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... oryID=1551

Pretty much any of these, you need to make sure they're spd compatible (not spd-sl, those are for a different pedal) Were cleats supplied with the bike? If not you will need those as well because they come with the pedals, not the shoes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=167
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    as it's a new bike, if they didn't come with it then I'd be back to the store and insist that they provided them gratis.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    A few other things to consider: in what weather will you be riding? Many road shoes a very well-ventillated. This is great in summer but your feet freeze when cool and they leak like sieves. Will you want to walk far in them? Again, road shoes typically are almost completely flat and you'll be walking on the cleat - ok for short distance but you would want to walk very far like that. MTB shoes are much better for walking in but, IME, much harder to clip out (the shoes treads making twisting the foot harder - they are easier to clip in). Then there are overshoes to keep your feet warm and dry (with luck) or, as I've decided to do this winter, get some Goretex-lined boots.

Personally, I like road shoes for my ride and use Shimano R086s.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Thanks for the replies.

I pick the bike up in a couple of weeks as soon as my employers sort out authorising the cyclescheme vouchers. It's a pretty good bike shop, so I expect they won't 'forget' to include the cleats - I'll make sure I'm on to that.

I had read comments concerning road shoes vs MTB wrt comfort under sole but I hadn't really thought about warmth/ventilation, so thanks for that point.

Do people ever where ordinary trainers with these pedals or are you immediately picked out as a simpleton, and evidence for scrapping the cyclescheme?

J
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    The problem with ordinary trainers is they flex too much and waste energy. For 20km each way you want to waste as little energy as possible. Other cyclists wouldn't think you a simpleton unless they're arrogant t**ts and therefore have no opinions worth caring about.

Mountain bike style SPD pedals (such as the M505s) are easy to clip out of once you are used to them and have many advantages over road style pedals when commuting. If there is any likely hood of having to walk I'd recommend MTB shoes. Road shoes cleats (or those I've used - red plastic Look Delta cleats) wear out far too quickly when walked on and walking in them is an art form, especially on polished floors. Saying that if you're on the bike the whole time with minimal walking I'd recommend road shoes too, but if you purchase Look style pedals make sure you buy cleat covers too.

Overshoes will wear out very quickly as well if you walk in them, even the most expensive seem very flimsy. I gave up buying overshoes two years ago and I'm currently using sealskinz waterproof socks. If you are cycling in the winter you need something to keep your toes dry and warm.
    Steve C
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I bought some DHBs from Wiggle to use with my Kona Snake. After a week getting used to them, I really like them.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    i'd definitely recommend mtb shoes. If you've got a decathlon near you, take a look in there. I got some decent shimano shoes that were the last pair of the line for 16 quid. and don't believe the hype about clipping out being a nightmare. so long as you keep in mind that you're using spds, you won't forget and you will be able to get out. I've had mine on the tightest setting since i got them and have never had a problem. I don't bother with overshoes, just get wet feet - 10 miles each way and it only bothers me when i have to put them on damp. fine when i'm going along
  • Ok, these aren't clipless (I believe they are coning soon), but they are excellent commuting shoes for the city:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/manufactu ... c-pham-49/

They received a great reviews from Road.cc and the washing machine post.

I bought the brown versions last year, and for commuting off the train on the bike from St Pancras to Central London and wearing all day, they are great.[/img]
    What is this? A centre for Ants? It would have to be....at least 2 or 3 times this size!