Tandem Tyre

ian_s
ian_s Posts: 183
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm looking for tyre recommendations for our tandem...

It is a Dawes Super Galaxy and used for day trips on typical UK roads - never heavily loaded.

So I need to decide on size (currently 700x32 on the front and 700x28 on the back), and model.

Is there any reason I cannot go for a regular road tyre (eg Vittoria Rubino ) or should I be looking for something with a bit more meat? I would be prepared to go heavier if it bought better puncture resistance.

Cheers
Ian

Comments

• El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Thorn always recommend Panaracer Hi-Roads which were fine but having replaced them with pretty much anything I could lay my hands on on tour I'd say there's nothing tandem specific about a tyre. The nicest rolling tyres I've had on it are some I picked up in Slovakia for £3 each.

The extra weight though means you should keep the pressure topped up to avoid pinch flats.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What's the weight of the team?

We're pretty light (140Kg all in (team and bike)), and run 30mm width - seems fine. We'd get away with something 28mm, but don't feel a great desire to change currently. We're new to tandemming, but our tandem is definitely more about comfort than speed!