Specialized Sirrus

cheaperholidays
cheaperholidays Posts: 151
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
HI all

To keep fit i bought a 2010 specialized sirrus, which coming from a giant OCR has a superb range of gears, but the frame is very stiff.

I intend to ride around 26 plus miles every day and so far since having the bike just a few days i have completed over 150 miles...

For £399 plus £55 for shimano clip less pedals this is a superb machine, forget the rubbish in halfords they cannot compete with the quality..

This is basically a road bike with higher gearing and flat bars..
My question is when should i get it serviced? The first one is free but i think i should have it done sooner rather than later , the dealer said a month
All the best
Mike
We are an online travel agency.

Specialized Sirrus (converting to road bars) - Honda Fireblade.

Comments

• I've got a Sirrus (bought last October) and didn't bother with the first service. If something is wrong you can take it back anyway. I believe all a first service does is check it over, and make small adjustments if necessary.
    I bought myself some tools and with the help of the guides on this site and the helpful people on the forum, have serviced it (and my MTB) and learnt a lot. Still know the square root of b***** all compared to most but get a lot of satisfaction from being able to do small jobs like service my hubs, tune the gears etc. Not done a BB yet or changed forks, but I'm going to give it a go when the time comes.
    Agree about the ride of the bike, mines got a suspension seatpost but being the entry model missed out on the carbon forks. Otherwise it's a good reliable commuter although I ditched the all conditions in favour of something a bit more resistant to p*******s
  • luther
    luther Posts: 28
    I bought one too last month.... absolutely love it. Stuck a review on Evans website too on my first impressions.

Coming from a Giant XTC mountain bike... this was a huge step up for me short of going for a full on dropped bar bike.... maybe next year though :D
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • The only problem i found after adjusting the brakes on the rear, (you know slacken of at the lever then pinch the pads together and tighten the cable.. Then re tighten at lever end.)

After spinning the rear to check for rubbing: I found that =

If you are grinding up hill the rear rim deforms slightly and starts rubbing the pads just what you dont want, so you have to slacken of the rear pads to stop this happening.. :?

It does not happen if you are spinning...

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    The only problem i found after adjusting the brakes on the rear, (you know slacken of at the lever then pinch the pads together and tighten the cable.. Then re tighten at lever end.)

After spinning the rear to check for rubbing: I found that =

If you are grinding up hill the rear rim deforms slightly and starts rubbing the pads just what you dont want, so you have to slacken of the rear pads to stop this happening.. :?

It does not happen if you are spinning...

I had the same problem and solution. The rubbing sound gets annoying, specially as you want everything running perfectly if possible. Good thing is most of the power comes from the front brakes so slackening the rear a little dosen't harm.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I am buying a Sirrus Sport 2010 on the 14th. Because to be brutally honest. The 2011 range is a joke. They have down graded the entire range. The 2011 Sirrus Sport no longer has carbon forks, or the bg bar ends. those have now all been shifted to the Sirrus Elite 2011 £549.

So if you can still get a 2010 sirrus sport from a retailer, why the hell would you pay an addition £50 for the same bike.

I cant wait until next week. trouble is it will be more likely 2 weeks before i actually receive the bike
  • Badass01
    Badass01 Posts: 13
    So if you can still get a 2010 sirrus sport from a retailer, why the hell would you pay an addition £50 for the same bike.
    The price has actually dropped and you are getting more for the bike. Reason being that Shimano gear prices have decreased to level out increases last year.

You will notice the Shimano gears on the Sirrus Elite (£550) are better that the 2010 Sport model (£500).

So, you're getting the same bike, but with better gears for £50 more, rather than £150 more.
  • HI with the rear brake rubbing problem

After talking to specialized they recommend getting the rear spokes checked for the correct tension

This i did and they were out slightly..

Now i have full front and rear brakes.. :D

• luther
    Whilst you guys are on here.... have any of you guys found a decent pannier rack that fits? Just bought one of these and it doesn't seem to fit :(

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... egoryID=84
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • Hi

Send or take it back for a full refund, its not fit for purpose, if you get the run around contact your credit or debit card provider for a charge back refund

Mike

• +1 on the rear brake problem, i just cant find the sweet spot with good braking and no rubbing.
  • luther
    I probably will send the rack back as it doesn't seem to fit any of my bikes and is supposed to be fully adjustible.... :(

Any recommendations for one that does fit? I bought the Altura 36 bags and really want to get it all fitted by next week.
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • The tortec expedition (£35 but if you can get price match there is somewhere online doing it for about £25) is currently on the back of my 2009 Sirrus
  • Update to brake rubbing problems

Complained to Specialized and they agreed to change the rims FOC - result,,, :D

Regarding Panniers Don Skene has them around £35 Google team Skene

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have a 2004 Sirrus Sport. It has been pretty good. After the wheels and drive chain wore out after a year I fitted Mavic Pro Open CD rims on Campag Record hubs and cassette with Shimano Ultegra chainset, BB and chain. A Cane Creek S8 headset as well. It now rides pretty well and when needs be carries a fair load with ease.

The stock factory Alesia V rims are pretty heavy and the spokes in the rear wheel when new kept breaking so Evans in Holborn re-built the whole wheel with DB SS spokes and plain spokes for max strength which solved the problem. It is now my winter wheel.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.