2010 End2End roll call

John Moore
John Moore Posts: 580
edited September 2010 in XC and Enduro
Who's going over to the Isle of Man for the End2End in just 5 weeks time?

What's you best time/place before and what are your goals for this year?

Last year I came in at 3hrs 44secs and 76th place.

This year there are 1385 riders registered, so a top 50 place is out of the question for me in 2010 I guess

Comments

• Good luck. I'll not be there this year as I'm off Island at the time.

Did you ever get booked for Epic Blast by the way?
  • I am aiming for 4 to 5 hours for my first event. Not really sure what to expect in terms of the course. I am ok on climbing etc, it's the more technical stuff if any that would worry me.

What was it like last year? Are you doing it on a hard tail or full sussy?
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Not doing it this year unfortunately - thought it would clash with school start for little 'un, so did the Selkirk CRC instead, which was excellent btw. Also signed up for National XC Marathon Champs which are taking place in S.East that weekend.

So much depends on the weather for this kind of thing, and I don't think last year's will be bettered for quite some time - was absolutely perfect; sunny, about 20C, with a nice tailwind if I recall!

Magician, don't worry - course is not at all technical - steep, loose, climbs are the worst part really. If you want a good time, I'd say main thing is to start near the front, and get with a fast group on the road section, so you are not held up on the very steep initial climbs. Also, the climb up from St John's is horrid and neverending, so be prepared for it! I (and others!) suffered badly with cramp in the latter stages. Electrolyte tabs have helped with this, so may be worth looking into if its also potentially an issue for you.

Good luck to all!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • John Moore
    No I'm not doing the Blast, where's very little info about it and it's so bloody expensive to get the car over the sea no matter what the lying ferry adverts say.

Hardtail for speed, FS for comfort. I did it fully rigid last year and I'll do the same again this year :roll:
  • kinclad
    kinclad Posts: 63
    Hi John,

I'm doing it this year along with 2 pals for the first time.

I have been training mostly on road (but hilly). I know its nothing like off road but I'm doing 70K in around 3hrs on my Scott Scale 60. But like I say...I know off road is a different animal!

Have you got a checklist of gear you take on the day? I have to say this is all new to me!

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Mark.
  • John Moore
    Kinclad wrote:
    Have you got a checklist of gear you take on the day? I have to say this is all new to me!

It all depends on what time you're aiming for and if you are racing or not?

Be warned nothing on the road can prepare you for the first climb then although the last climb is on the road it's a real killer with a 200m uphill finish over a grassy field.

Personaly I'm aiming to beat my time from last year so I'll be traveling light.
    Saddle bag with tools, pump, CO2 pump, inner tube.
    On bike large drinking bottle
    Back pocket 2nd inner tube, 2 gels and a sports bottle (easy to drink from) full of water to drink on the tarmac before the first climb where I'll bin it.

What time are you aiming for?

3 > 4hrs = Gold
    4 > 5hrs = Silver
    5 > 6hrs = Bronze
  • kinclad
    Will be aiming for gold but haven't done a lot of x country so not over confident.

So how tough is that first climb? Is it like a 20 min slog in the bottom ring?
  • John Moore
    If you're in the very lowest gear for the first climb it will take you around 45 mins to get to the very top of it, if your not in the top 40 at the bottom of the first hill you'll be pushing up some of it with the rest of us mortals.
    If you're in the lowest of the lowest gear on the first climb, you'll be pushing up the very last climb in places.

Here's the profile of this years 5200ft fo climbing "race"
    routeprofile-16.jpg
    Good luck with your gold aim. Come back on here after the race and post up your time.
  • kinclad
    Hmm Yeh well like I say I'm more of a pessimist rather than a optimist...so I do see myself as one of the mear mortals.

So the likelihood of riding the whole of first climb is down to abilty/fitness not the fact that its just to crowded? Although I appreciate the benefit of riding or pushing up a muddy hill can be negligible.

Im never in the lowest front cog on any hill on my current 40 mile road route that does include some nasty hills but once again this is on the road and the hills last 10 to 15 mins at most so I know the climbs on the end 2 end are going to be a different story.

I'm sure this is going to be a wake up call experience.. :oops: :oops:
  • John Moore
    Are you heading over on the Liverpool ferry on Saturday morning?
  • kinclad
    No Friday..we are staying for 3 nights.. :lol:
  • boneyjoe
    If you haven't done it before, I'd suggest checking out the start of that 1st climb on the Saturday - its quite a reality check for sure! IMO, if you're a good climber, secret is really to get with a fast group on the road, so you aren't held up too much on that 1st climb. However, if you then struggle on the climb, you will find it very tough going as faster people come barging past - due to the gradient, loose surface, narrow trail, its incredibly difficult to overtake, and they won't thank you for holding them up!

Be sure to save some energy for the 2nd big climb up from St John's as well - while not quite as high, its even steeper in places - very slippery, narrow and impossible to overtake unless someone lets you through (which is unlikely!). After the undulating bit, that steep, short climb is also hell! Most outside the top 100 will push this one.

IMO, section between 2nd feed station (at St Johns) and 3rd feedstation (at top of that short climb) is definitely the toughest part of the whole race. If you can get a good start and keep decent pace through this middle section, you should be in for a fast time. :D Have fun!
  • boneyjoe
    Kinclad, tbh, from your posts above, I'd say you need to re-adjust your goals a bit, bearing in mind its your 1st attempt, you don't seem to have done an event like this (or much off-road racing before), or indeed much off-road training for it.

Note that only about 100 riders (ie top 7.5%) will get Gold (it was higher last year due to perfect conditions, but lower in the wet the year before). Seasoned pro's like John, make these things look easy, but they are really damn hard, until you've done a few!

In your situation, I'd really be quite ecstatic with Silver, and pretty damn pleased with Bronze.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I hope it helps!
  • kinclad
    No bubble burst mate...Like I have said in my previous posts..I'm not over confident as I haven't done a lot of off road stuff.

My only comparison is I know I can do 70K on road (on my MB with a few nasty hills) in just under 3 hrs, so I guess that's why I felt 4hrs could be achievable.

But like you say off road is a completely different animal, ultimately I'm there for the fun and the banter with my pals.
  • 16 of us doing it. we are "The Sad Lads"
    Majority early 40's and I'm the eldest at 54
    All bar 2 new to cycling this year
    We have been training, Llandegla, Cannock, Coed, Peak District & Cotswolds
    We are under no illusions and the plan is to get round within the alloted time
    Must admit having the time of my life, but that may change after the IOM
    Going over on Saturday and staying Sunday night
    Hopefully we'll still be alive to enjoy a pint or two afterwards
    :cry:
  • 10 of us from macclesfield going over on Saturday 11.30 ferry........ages range from mid twenties to early sixties!.....been training off and on road around Macc including Coalpit lane the 9 to 19% 3/4 mile drag! staying over Sunday night so hopefully bump into a few of you in the local pubs were staying in Douglas. :lol:
  • Whosthedaddy & NUWORLD - See you on the 11.30 ferry out of Liverpool?
  • Yep see you on the ferry m8................we are riding from Runcorn to Albert dock along the Trans Peninine Trail hoping to get to the ferry terminal at 10.30......so if its raining we will be the dirty bedragled group of 10! :D
  • How far out of Liverpool is the ferry terminal?I am driving up from Cardiff on Saturday (very early morning). Do we have to be there 45 mins before the ferry leaves or an hour?

Thanks guys
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The ferry terminal is right in the centre of Liverpool, just head for the Liver buildings and we ride on next to it.

I "guess" loading will shut at 11am so you really need to be there at 10.30 to make sure.