Excellent book

tjwood
tjwood Posts: 328
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
"How to be a better cyclist: Advanced Cycling, the essential guide" written by John Franklin and published by the Institute of Advanced Motorists (buy it here or from Amazon (currently out of stock)).

I've just received a copy and skimmed through it - lots of very sensible, common sense advice. It takes the "system of advanced car control" from the Police advanced driving book, Roadcraft, as taught to drivers and motorcyclists by the IAM and other advanced driving schools, and adapts it to apply to cycling. It is all entirely "common sense" once you know it, but contains a lot of well-reasoned advice that you may not have considered.

If you have never taken advanced driving or cycling training this will definitely make you think more about your cycling (and driving) and probably make you more confident and safer; if you're already experienced it should remind you of a few important things you've let slip over the years. Also offers best practice and very down-to-earth advice about many things that are often discussed here - filtering, road positioning, etc...

NB. I know this sounds like a mad plug, I have no connection with the book other than the fact that I'm a member of the IAM (and now a cycling member too...).

Comments