Alpes Open Tour

MarkRB
MarkRB Posts: 18
Hi,

I'll be doing the Alpes Open Tour (http://www.alpesopentour.com/en/presentation.html) from 15 to 20 August.

Anyone else doing this? - or has anyone done this before?

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    No but I wish to god i was doing it.
  • yep, but just two stages (i think it may be 3 &4). but i should qualify it as i will be attempting it, as i am not in alp-climbing shape, unfortunately.
  • yep, but just two stages (i think it may be 3 &4). but i should qualify it as i will be attempting it, as i am not in alp-climbing shape, unfortunately.
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    What a great event & EUR765 for a fully supported 5 day event inc all meals & transport (excl flights) seems a damned good deal to me!
    Definitely something I'll look at for next year.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    that looks rather good. how difficult would this sort of thing be to do by yourself? are the roads safe to cycle on when open? i ask because my experience of mountain roads and french drivers from skiing trips suggests it could be risky
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    gsk82 wrote:
    that looks rather good. how difficult would this sort of thing be to do by yourself? are the roads safe to cycle on when open? i ask because my experience of mountain roads and french drivers from skiing trips suggests it could be risky

I've cycled a bit in France (several weeks in Provence, a week in the Pyrenees & a week in the Alps) & found the French drivers to be really good although almost every pass you go on will be practically empty of cars IME so it won't be an issue in any case.
  • Yes my son Steve and I are doing it. Really looking forward to it!
    Although maybe a bit apprehensive about the climbs!
  • perhaps the four of us doing it should exchange details? any sense of how many people doing it?

yeah, don't think my pootling around surrey is going to cut it for this one.
  • MarkRB
    ..have reactivated an old blog (www.genevaexplore.blogspot.com) to try and capture the tour. I may live out here - but it is my first year of anything close to cycling ... it could be something of a challenge for me at least!
  • MarkRB
    The French may be keen to get to the ski slopes but as a general rule they know how to respect cyclists --- after all so many people in France do cycle there is something of an understanding.