It's almost Killing Me!!!

Splottboy
Splottboy Posts: 3,695
edited August 2010 in MTB general
The bike is finished, lying on my kitchen floor, unside down.
Just need to get the Spec Tubeliss tyres sorted.

Green snot stuff didn't work, taking the tubeless strips out of the rims would damage them, so no good there. I'm gonna have to get some Stans sealant, I can see it.
But having spent £1,500 on a "noliday" ( Lee Evans sketch ) £250 frame, £320 bits and some more to come...even the £11.99 for the Stans seems a stretch too far.

But, Mrs gets paid this weekend, so WOO-HOO!!!!

I'll be on ebay this week, and getting the sealant.
But BOY, the wait for that VERY-FIRST-RIDE is bloody awful...

You, my Comrades, will be the 1st too see it, when it's finished...soon...I promise!

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If you had just gone for tubes like the rest of the sane world, you would be riding it by now! :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Still dont see the point of tubeless on a bike ??
    been out riding with lads that are tubeless and they have had puntures as well , and guess how they fix them on the trail ??
    yeah ... they fit a tube !! .... so whats the point ?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    Havent tried it myself but basically the main points seem to be:

Lighter - no tube means you carry less weight even if you carry a spare tube

Less change of punctures - despite the fact you can still get a hole in the tyre itself the fact you have no tube does mean you wont get any pinch flats from hitting any big bumps which cause the tube to get squashed against your rims :)

They could try to patch the tyre itself but inflating a tubeless tyre can be quite difficult from what I have read since you need the air to be pumped quick to get the seal and co2 inflators are the only way to do that out in the woods (from what I read :P )
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    ilovedirt wrote:
    If you had just gone for tubes like the rest of the sane world, you would be riding it by now! :roll:

+ Potato

Tubes may be classified as "heavy" by the weight weenies, but they work, they're easy to repair and even easier to change.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tubes are simple and effective.
    However, WHEN it works, tubeless is great with the right sealant, as you'll never get a puncture normally, and the chances of a pinch flat are massively reduced.
  • Tubes are simple and effective.
    However, WHEN it works, tubeless is great with the right sealant, as you'll never get a puncture normally, and the chances of a pinch flat are massively reduced.

Which is the best system Joe's or Stan's i'm gonna try nobby nic's in a few month's,
    there's a video on youtube where some lads are riding all over these nails with Joe's in. Thats what is selling me about tubeless
  • Anonymous
    Joe's and Stans are pretty much the same. I think Joe's is a knock-off of Stan's.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    the weight thing is crap, if a normal tube tyre weighs 600g the tubless version will be 800g+ then you need around 50-100g of sealant. where a good tube weighs around 175g.

you will be looking at around 200g heavier with a proper tubless set up but a lot of normal tyres will take to tubless wich can bring the weight down a bit.
  • Splottboy
    Bought some Mavic Crosslands, and I didn't touch 'em for about a year, as the tyres I'd bought would not hold air.
    Then, had about 6 flats on tubes in 6 rides...Not good.
    Got new tyres, Conti Mtn Kings, and Low-and-Behold, AIR TIGHT!!!

Rode great and no P******s since...not One!

So the new wheels and tyres are a bit more meaty for a Welsh Winter...
    Once they are on, I'm OFF!

Could stick the Crosslands on, but there is a "Colour Scheme" to consider.

Moi, vain?
  • Anonymous
    Well if it means you can ride it, who the hell gives a flip.
  • Splottboy
    I know, I KNOW!!!

But, it's like having a jigsaw, with a piece missing...

So, circuits in a minute and ( Sorry All ) 2 - 3 hr Road ride tomorrow, Sunday.

Stans sealant Monday, hopefully, and as I'm off work, perhaps a...

1st Ride, at last.
  • Anonymous
    Bollocks to that you big fairy. Just stick the other wheels on it and head up the quarries.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    not had a puncture in over a year with tubless. couldnt care less about weight. in spain it was a must due to thorns and rocks. even a lad running 50psi in rear tyre still got pinch punctures.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Can't you shove in some inner tubes for the bikes first outing while you wait for the stans?
  • Anonymous
    Kiblams wrote:
    Can't you shove in some inner tubes for the bikes first outing while you wait for the stans?
    He doesn't even need to do that, he's said he's got some spare wheels, with tyres already on them
    (epic facepalm! - not at you, at Splotwat) :lol:
  • Splottboy
    After watching Bruno last night, all I can say is...

"Jah Baby, you isht right, but I vant to be zee best looking guy, on zee trail, Baby!! "

Possibly gonna fit the Mavics.
    You've shamed me into it.

" Oh, jah, you isht such a Big Bully... I luvs eet, Baby."