Anyone any experience of The Exmoor Beast?

Nasawing
Nasawing Posts: 14
Hello all - first post from me!

I've got a friend who's trying to convince me to join him on The Exmore Beast ( www.exmoorbeast.org ), so as a relative newb, I wanted to get some advice from anyone who's ridden this before - or is planning to go this year. I understand that its a toughie and one of the more demanding sportives... Whats the gen?

NaSa[/url]

Comments

• Nasawing
    PS - would have helped if I'd spelled it 'Exmoor' not Exmore, huh?! :? <whattatwonk>
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hiya,
    rode it last two years - here's my write up of 2009 if you're interested.
    If you can't be bothered reading all that - tough but eventually enjoyable is the ultra high level summary. Do it!

http://2010etape.blogspot.com/2009/11/r ... beast.html
    :)
  • what was demanding last year was the weather -- 50 mph gale force winds and sleet. there is a very long thread on here in the archives about the 2009 ride. the shorter route is def doable for a newbie; there is really only one steep bit and that is near the beginning.
  • Nasawing
    Thanks for the responses ladies - I'm now registered and gearing up (see what I did there?!) for my first taste of a sportive... And tbh, I'm now starting to brick it. I'm going to take your sensible advice and opt for the shorter route (I'll try for a little bit of glory rather than risk a side helping of exhaustion on my first outing!)

Any other advice / top tips for a nervous newb? Someone's already mentioned the climbs to me and the importance of considering some lower ratios!

I've read on some of the other threads about other events on not relying too heavily feed stops, so I'm gonna make sure I have well loaded pockets, though all the comments to date seem to indicate that The Beast is very well organised (as might be expected, as according to their site, the organisers are ex Royal Marines !)

:)
  • Nasawing - its a great event, made even better thanks to the weather on the day. First sportive hey.. well you have thrown yourself in at the deep end! Stick together, no point going alone, especially if the wind gets up there are some exposed sections that you work better if you stay together. Food stops, cant really comment as I only stopped at one to refuel drinks for 2 mins. Otherwise enjoy, take ALL your kit with you as you never know. Dont park the car anywhere dodgy, he hee.

Enjoy a drop of Beast at the end for me, I may not make it this year...
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Did Dartmoor Classic as my first in June, very seriously considering the beast as a similar type end of seasoner. Sounds very good to me!!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I'm in for the first time this year. Making it part of a family trip to Butlins!

I guess after the Marmotte it won't seem so bad, although I'm worried about keeping any sort of condition that late in the season. I'm a reluctant trainer at the best of times.

Exmoor is a beautiful part of the world, though, so my main aim is to take it steady and enjoy the views...weather permitting!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    As long as you lay of the Exmoor Gold beforehand, you should be all right. :D
  • greeny12 wrote:
    I'm in for the first time this year. Making it part of a family trip to Butlins!

I guess after the Marmotte it won't seem so bad, although I'm worried about keeping any sort of condition that late in the season. I'm a reluctant trainer at the best of times.

Exmoor is a beautiful part of the world, though, so my main aim is to take it steady and enjoy the views...weather permitting!

Im also doing it and taking the family as well ,what is Butlins at Minehead like as it will be my first time there.Looking foward to it very much.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759

Im also doing it and taking the family as well ,what is Butlins at Minehead like as it will be my first time there.Looking foward to it very much.

I've only been for the All Tomorrow's Parties music festival, when it takes on a very different character, but from what I've seen it's basically an old style holiday camp, so loads of stuff for the kiddies. Brilliant swimming pool complex, fairly basic accommodation. It's OK.

• Nasawing
    Ah, Butlins will bring back memories of the old days and summers with the grandparents - hehehe. Its really cool to know that there will be somewhere warm and dry for the missus and the ankle-biters to wait whilst their old man does battle with the tarmac! Same place as All Tomorrow's Parties? How cool is that (another festival/event I've been trying to go to!). MInehead looks like it might be turning into a cultural Mecca for me!

On the subject of Minehead and the Beast, it looks like Cycling Weekly got confused - a mate dropped me an email this morning saying that reading this week's edition, they had The Beast listed as starting off from Wimball Lake. That's 100% definitely wrong - I've been back to check and given the organisers a ring and its MINEHEAD this year!!!!
  • I've signed up for the 100 mile Beast, and did the 100 mile Dartmoor Classic earlier this year.

The question I have but can't seem to find a direct answer for is... which is harder (ignoring weather factors and taking just the routes as they are)? I know they are different times of year so conditions will be very different, but if you were riding them on the same day with the same conditions... So which is toughest - Dartmoor Classic or Exmoor Beast?

Thanks.
  • That's an interesting question - and one as a newb which I'm not equipped to answer really. I wonder who out there has ridden both?

I also guess it probably depends upon horses for courses. How do your define 'toughest'? I suppose it means different things to different people. Some hate climbs, some hate twisting roads etc etc. The you have to add in all of the random elements which you can't predict in advance. I based my decision on the recommendations I'd been given that The Beast was going to offer me a real tough challenge whilst still being doable. I was told that when I get round, I'll definitely know it afterwards (and have a hat-ful of memories to go with the lactic acid!). After reading some of the stories regarding other less well organised events, it also seemed like a good idea to go with an outfit who definitely knew what they're about.

Anyway, I'll hand you over to the experts!
  • Hello?
  • ... Guess no one did then!

Another quick question I'm hoping to get some advice on...

As I don't yet have a clue as to what time I'll get in, or what time it gets dark at that time of year (maths was never my strong point!) - ought I to take a set of lights with me?

Oh, and the other thing, read a few comments on side-winds. I usually ride along hedge lined roads, so this is likely to be an entirely new experience for me. Any tips, dos/dont's for me?
  • Nasawing wrote:
    ... Guess no one did then!

Another quick question I'm hoping to get some advice on...

As I don't yet have a clue as to what time I'll get in, or what time it gets dark at that time of year (maths was never my strong point!) - ought I to take a set of lights with me?

Oh, and the other thing, read a few comments on side-winds. I usually ride along hedge lined roads, so this is likely to be an entirely new experience for me. Any tips, dos/dont's for me?

Unless you're really really slow I can't believe you'll need lights, especially if you get away nice and early (first away is 7am).

My guess is sundown would be after 5pm by the end of October, so say you leave at 7.30 and do nine hours, you're still back by 4.30. Nine hours is pretty toppy too - I'm no Contador and I managed the 124-mile Magnificat in about 8 this year, and that's no picnic....

• Cheers Greeny12 - that'll be a welcome few grammes less!!! :P
  • i actually rode both last year ...

i didn't feel like the exmoor course itself is hard; it was the weather. i freaked out about the first climb ahead of time, and, in decent weather without a bottleneck of 500 cyclists trying to cross a slippery cattle grid, it would be hard but doable.

my vague memory of dartmoor was that it was more difficult of the two, but it was my first real sportive and i was in better shape by november than in mid june (ironically i missed gold by minutes at dartmoor so it couldn't have been that hard, as i am truly a slow cyclist and did 99% of the ride alone).

from an event perspective, dartmoor was the way better sportive ... breathtakingly beautiful route, awesome medals and homemade pasties at the end. and butlins was truly depressing -- def suggest you stay somewhere else; we stayed at a very nice pub about 5 minutes away.

i didn't feel like the exmoor course itself is hard; it was the weather. i freaked out about the first climb ahead of time, and, in decent weather without a bottleneck of 500 cyclists trying to cross a slippery cattle grid, it would be hard but doable.

my vague memory of dartmoor was that it was more difficult of the two, but it was my first real sportive and i was in better shape by november than in mid june (ironically i missed gold by minutes at dartmoor so it couldn't have been that hard, as i am truly a slow cyclist and did 99% of the ride alone).

from an event perspective, dartmoor was the way better sportive ... breathtakingly beautiful route, awesome medals and homemade pasties at the end. and butlins was truly depressing -- def suggest you stay somewhere else; we stayed at a very nice pub about 5 minutes away.

• Butlins will be fine for me - I want to save my pennies - plus have a base for the bairns.

Greeny - as newb, I donl;t want to gainsay your advice, but I've checked the FAQs and they do actually recommend taking a set of lights. Another rider has told be that its in case we get any mist/fog as much as anything, so I think I'll pack them after all - better safe than flat!

Getting excited now!!!
  • Nasawing wrote:
    Butlins will be fine for me - I want to save my pennies - plus have a base for the bairns.

Greeny - as newb, I donl;t want to gainsay your advice, but I've checked the FAQs and they do actually recommend taking a set of lights. Another rider has told be that its in case we get any mist/fog as much as anything, so I think I'll pack them after all - better safe than flat!

Getting excited now!!!

Fair do's - hadn't accounted for a pea souper!!!

Still reckon you'll get back in daylight though :wink:

• vs
    vs Posts: 468
    i didn't feel like the exmoor course itself is hard;

Last years' ride was restricted to 60 miles because of the terrible weather if you remember; 100 miles on Exmoor is always hard :)

Re lights - You'll be back before dark but it'll be pretty gloomy if you leave at 7am.
  • HuwS
    HuwS Posts: 12
    Deeply torn on this one. Really want the one final big ride before the winter, but....

Do I really want to spend £300 for the privelege of staying at Butlins (now if only they did stays for less than three nights)
  • vs
    Why do you need to stay at Butlins? There are plenty of lovely b&b's/pubs that would be more than happy to accommodate you for one night.
  • we stayed at a really nice weatherspoons pub for about £30 per night ... i can find the name for you if interested ...

i don't think you would need lights. i don't think you could have had weather worse than we did ... plus if it is going to take you 10+ hours to do the route, i suggest you move to the 60 miler. november is no time for an all day epic -- and i suspect the event organizers will broom people come nightfall.
  • Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    i don't think you would need lights. i don't think you could have had weather worse than we did ... plus if it is going to take you 10+ hours to do the route, i suggest you move to the 60 miler. november is no time for an all day epic -- and i suspect the event organizers will broom people come nightfall.

On the Tour Ride three weeks ago and there was plenty of mist around in the morning on the first Exmoor climb. I know it was windy last year, but if the wind drops mist and fog can move in pretty quickly.
  • I'll be going for an irritating blinking rear light.

I found someone's Dartmoor garmin output:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38374092

And the Exmoor equivalent (I assume done in a car just to map the ride!):
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14933116

So Dartmoor Classic is 8656ft of climbing and Exmoor Beast is 10176ft.
    Dartmoor is four miles longer which actually only increases the steepness of the Beast.
  • Weeeell, I guess I'll play safe and at least back a rear blinky, just in case... Maybe I've read 'The Fog' one too many times!

10,000ft of climb is quite a stat eh? (I'm whispering that in case my legs hear ;-) )
  • vs
    I find that which ever way I ride from my home across Exmoor I will always climb 1000 feet for every 10 miles covered.

Has built a good deal of strength in the hills after a 100,000 miles. :wink: