public transport from Grenoble to St jean de maurienne

ram038
ram038 Posts: 187
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone help. i have scoured the web and cannot get any information on whether there is a bus or train from Grenoble to St Jean de Maurienne. i will be arriving at Grenoble 4:30 on saturday 28th august for a weeks col climbing whoohoo. My train is booked but not the hotel as yet so might choose to go to Bourg d'oisans instead if that is easier to get to. Any ssistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.asp ... tTotalLink
    this is a link on the rail europe site. Grenoble to st jean de maurienne requires a change.of train when i went (from Paris) I changed at Lyon. I think there is an early train from Paris which is direct to St jean de Maurienne. A goood choic of town: do a search as i have posted about its adveantages and i think it is the best placed in terms of cols nearby. Check out the "lacets de Montvernier" which is nearby. Galibier, madeleine glandon, mollard croix de fer all close by. Also if you take train to Modane (lovcal train so no need to book) you can do col de mont Cenis and the south side of the Iseran.
    hotel d'europe is a nice hotel (owner is a bike enthusiast) and i wsa comfortable at hotel st Bernard.
  • Like 'Inaperfectworld' says, catching the train is easiest.

Takes between 1.5 and 2 hours roughly, going via Chambery or Montmelian.
    Cost is quite reasonable too.
    May need to check re carrying your bike.

Alternatively, there's a bus to Bourg D'Oisans. Many fantastic climbs in the area.

Enjoy.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"