Terrible LBS Service at AMG Cycles... your thoughts

nomadicbry
nomadicbry Posts: 223
edited August 2010 in MTB general
just wondering what you guys reckon to the experience I had with AMG Cycles in Ayr Scotland

Bought my son a Commencal back end of Nov 2009. Bought it from them though I live in Glasgow as it was last year's model

After a few months the shock a Suntour XCR started playing up getting water into it. after advice from this forum I pumped the water out of the fork anyway ( it has happened repeatedly)... I left it until I had time and inclination to go back as they assuered me the bike was under guarantee for one year (fork included) took it down this week explaning that when it rained the fork stopped working which is a problem when you live in the west of Sctland.

called yesterday and he said it wasn't part of warranty but offered to grease and oil it which he wuld charge for... told them not to bother as I'd prefer to use BikeLove)who are excellent. Go to pick it up today wanting to get them to explain why it's not under warranty when it clearly doesn't work when it rains

Answer...
AMG it works and is fine ...
Me so why did you offer to fix it then for a fee? as i explined it lets in water it's faulty.... AMG it's acheap fork what do you expect?
Me I expect it to work in the rain and do that for at least a year?
AMG It does work....
Me no it doesn't it lets in water which stops it working...
After phone cals to the other shop in Irvine...
AMG We'll give you a discount on a new fork..
Me Why should I give you the business when you have refused to fix the one I've already bought from you
AMG well we're not going to fix it for you and if you want to take it further speak to our Supplier

To my mnd this is terrible service. Is it any wonder LBS are closing all over the country if this is the standard. Cowboys like this give the trade a bad name. Luckily I have experiened excllent service from other LBS in Glasgow and know this lot are just one bad example.

So am I right to be pissed of at this shop and their service? The way I see it if the fork doesn't work and can't be serviced (read cost them too much) it should be replaced. Am I mad in expecting a working fork that an be used in the rain... am I asking too much and is their answer it's a cheap fork any kind of excuse / reason

Bryan
Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is true that you can't expect a budget fork to performto level of a more expensive one, and will have to service it more often.

But this case sounds excessive ie loose seals. I think you do have a case, and would look at trading standards.
  • Muddy1182
    Muddy1182 Posts: 146
    Doesn't sound like the item's "fit for purpose". Give your local CAB office a call, ( Citizens advice bureau ) a call. I think you are legally entitled to a replacement part or refund. But give them a call and they will explain the details.

You are right to be pissed off. If it is faulty, they have to repair or replace free of charge according to the sale of goods act. Its not upto you to speak to there supplier, it's up to them. Also the CAB will threaten legal action if not resolved, but speak to them and they should help you. People shouldn't be able to get away with treating customers like that.

Hope this helps.

http://www.cas.org.uk/
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    cheers guys I think out of principle I'm going to follow this one up and see what Trading standads have to say about it

Thanlks again
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    This is why most lbs will disappear eventually, in this day and age of technology you can not afford to offer poor customer service! Decent friendly local after sales service are the only thing's which will beat the internet.
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    i had the same issue with a suntour fork. just rang our supplier and a new one was dispatched same day. had it fitted by lunch the day after. the customer was well happy!
    i cant see what the lbs's beef is. its not gonna cost them anything but their reputation.

we also had a bad batch of freewheels come with some lower end bikes. after 2 failed, we demanded full shimano freewheels be sent out to replace all the stock. the supplier was a bit miffed but was aware of the fault, so a big heavy box arrived next day. we just rang all the customers and gave them a free upgrade (before we got anyone killed)
    :wink:
  • Shoulda gone to Bob's Bikes!

He obviously understands the importance of the customer!

clap.gif
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10