Where would "my punani hurts" thread go?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Serious question about a serious question.

After cycling one of our valued members found that her punani, proper, was sore from taking an pummelling. At first many thought she couldn't handle the vibration and suggested the shock absorbing shaft of a carbon seatpost. This however was not the problem because after several days probing we found that sizing was the issue. Say no more.

The problem was however resolved in a timely fashion and now that member's punani can endure hours of riding without any pain and is further lubricated from friction with coconut milk to prevent chaffing.

During the course of that serious discussion there was, naturally, banter and a jovial tone, but we did not deter from the seriousness of the question, after all, a punani was in need of help.

So I ask, now that all serious questions have been asigned to "Dull", would the punani thread go here or there? The fact is, it was a case of a poorly fitted saddle, continued use would cause undue pain and the solution (and topic) no matter how fun was in fact serious.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• I would assume it would go in general as it's not silly chat ( though would have some) but a bike question
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    As this is a serious question about a serious question I think you've posted this question in the wrong forum. You'll probably only get unhelpful replies here.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I would assume it would go in general as it's not silly chat ( though would have some) but a bike question

I defo thing RM's answer would go in Dullnet

Punani - wasn't a film with Robin Williams or the taste of seaweed?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,182
    Why don't you just put the thread in whichever section you reckon is best and if the mods disagree, they can move it :?:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Dull definitely - a very serious cycling/medical question for which there can only be measured and serious answers - or not 8)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Did anyone actually mind the previous forum arrangement? I you had a serious question, it was answered and its not exactly rocket science to find your own thread, is it?

I think the mods are being rather foolish. Who actually likes looking at two forums now? Who can actually figure out where their thread has gone whena a stroppy moderator reclassifies it as:

"silly"
    "slightly silly"
    "silly but just enough cycling to be not silly"
    or "started out sensible but got very silly"

MODERATORS: You know the story of the goose that laid the golden egg? You cannot please all people all of the time, and like all good governments you have to my mind annoyed your core support to appease an indignant minority.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221

MODERATORS: You know the story of the goose that laid the golden egg? You cannot please all people all of the time, and like all good governments you have to my mind annoyed your core support to appease an indignant minority.

The indignant minority probably consider themselves the core support ;)

But I'll add my voice to the "this was a dumb change" chorus. Even the humourless people who wanted the change are going to lose out, because there'll be far fewer people bothering to read their posts over in the graveyard forum.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Do we have an indignant minority? I know we have ranters, ravers and some who are frankly nutters but always entertaining - I think the graveyard forum will probably quietly die
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Do we have an indignant minority? I know we have ranters, ravers and some who are frankly nutters but always entertaining - I think the graveyard forum will probably quietly die
    When you say "graveyard forum" do you mean "the Workshop", or "Commuting General"?

The workshop was created for the exact same dimwitted reasons, wasn't it? I think that there is more activity over at the "O-rings: Nitrile" sub forum of the "Propane and Propane Accessories" forum, but unsuspecting newbies still seem to occasionally post a tech question there and expect someone to read it.

All that does is put new people off, whereas people already active onthe forum post here because someone will give them a response within minutes.

If we don't have an indignant minority, do the moderators have voices in their heads telling them to tinker? MODERATORS - I'm having a pop at you, where are you? You should be moderating! You smell and your shorts have a hole in them in a funny place!! Wakey wakey!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I don't have a particular problem with 2 or 3 Commuting fora - it's really not that difficult to have a couple of tabs open in your browser of choice and flick between them - but I can't deny that I've occasionally posted a workshop-related thread in the old 'General' forum as I thought I would get faster and more responses. It would be nice if people visited each forum equally, but it just doesn't seem to work in practice, not least because only the first handful of 'serious' threads were transferred, leaving most of the 'serious' stuff in the wrong (Chat) forum. A few of us are valiantly trying to keep things moving over in Commuting General, but it's pretty slow-going. Maybe we all just need to not be so impatient.

As an alternative suggestion, if people could be a bit more rigorous in naming their threads (or the Mods editing the subjects afterwards if people forget), then it would be much easier for new visitors to navigate to what they are looking for. This was starting to happen a bit anyway, so I don't think it would take much for people to just add 'OT' where appropriate.

Don't know if this is all too serious, but we never used to have a problem with people making serious posts when appropriate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    I don't have a particular problem with 2 or 3 Commuting fora - it's really not that difficult to have a couple of tabs open in your browser of choice and flick between them - but I can't deny that I've occasionally posted a workshop-related thread in the old 'General' forum as I thought I would get faster and more responses. It would be nice if people visited each forum equally, but it just doesn't seem to work in practice, not least because only the first handful of 'serious' threads were transferred, leaving most of the 'serious' stuff in the wrong (Chat) forum. A few of us are valiantly trying to keep things moving over in Commuting General, but it's pretty slow-going. Maybe we all just need to not be so impatient.

As an alternative suggestion, if people could be a bit more rigorous in naming their threads (or the Mods editing the subjects afterwards if people forget), then it would be much easier for new visitors to navigate to what they are looking for. This was starting to happen a bit anyway, so I don't think it would take much for people to just add 'OT' where appropriate.

Don't know if this is all too serious, but we never used to have a problem with people making serious posts when appropriate.

^^^^
    I think we may have found one of your indignant minority Jay :?

And what is this use of the word 'fora' - since when did we start talking like we had a mouth full of marbles? :cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    rjsterry wrote:

^^^^
    I think we may have found one of your indignant minority Jay :?

And what is this use of the word 'fora' - since when did we start talking like we had a mouth full of marbles? :cry:

Who you calling indignant? I certainly wasn't one of those asking for a change - more important things to worry about. I did always quite like the way the forum was ruthlessly democratic, although I think it's fair to recognise that this had some negative effects. As I said, i don't have a problem with the split, but equally, I could cope if it stayed as one forum. I really don't see why some people are getting soooo upset about it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    the taste of seaweed?

Yeah, that's pretty close to accurate I'd say.