Santa Cruz Juliana vs Orange 5 Diva

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited August 2010 in Women
Hi everyone

Just wondered if any of you had ridden these two bikes and could give me an idea of how they compare, performance and weight. Just set up a demo for my partner for the Juliana as we're looking at buying a frameset and swapping over all the bits from her hardtail.

Thanks
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hiya :D

I ride a superlight (not a Julianna) and an orange 5 diva, so I can hopefully answer this one!

The frames weigh about the same, possibly slightly more on the orange but not much. I have 100mm travel on the superlight and 140mm on the orange, and the rest high spec XT kit etc, but they are very different bikes...

The superlight is a classic xc bike, great on techy climbs, flowy singletrack and can cope with trail centres etc. I've ridden mine in the Alps, Peak District, Scotland etc and it's never let me down. However on some really techy descents in the Peak District I was feeling distinctly 'rattled' :?

Enter the orange.

I am still getting to grips with climbing on the orange, it has more travel and requires a slightly different technique. I am confident that once i've got to grips with this, it will climb as well as the superlight. It really comes into its own on the downs - it just eats everything up! I can jump the orange and still feel totally in control. It feels very plush and techy descents are an absolute joy (and not rattley!). If the orange is heavier, I have not noticed any difference in my riding speed.

I am 5ft 4 and I ride a small superlight (15" frame) and a 14" female specific orange. I definitely feel less stretched on the orange, and it feels 'right'. However if I was told I could only have one, I would be very hard pushed to decide..... I would probably choose the orange though.

Hope that help! Let me know if you have any specific questions and i'll be happy to help!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • poppit
    Hi, miss notax

I noticed from one of your previous posts that you had both so hoped you would reply so thanks for the info.

She'll be demoing the Juliana on trails around Hope in the peak district so they should both get a good workout although she doesn't really thrash bikes downhill!

She's 5ft 5 and trying a small so it might be a better fit than you experienced with yours. SC now recomend that you fit a 120mm fork to the superlight as they've slightly changed some of the geometry so it might be better on the rocky downhills, not sure what the demo bike has got though, the frameset price has also come down to £899 which makes it a better deal. Makes it so that we can afford to upgrade some of the really important bits such as the fork and shock, we'll be swapping over XT stuff from her hardtail.

We've also got a SC Nickel frameset on order but not committed to the purchase yet. Not female specific but looks a nice frame, bit heavy though.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • miss notax
    I imagine with a 120mm fork the superlight would handle the rocky bits much better. I mean, mine has coped with an awful lot so the frames can obviously stand up to it!

If she gets the chance she should try the orange though - I know there are a lot of them around, but with good reason!

Good luck!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• poppit
    edited August 2010
    Looking at Orange's website there aren't any to demo, the closest you can get to it is a 14" or 16" Five Pro at Cannock.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi there,

Just another suggestion to throw in the mix... I haven't ridden the juliana but have an Orange 5 pro 16". It's so about what feels good for you personally. I tried loads of female specific bikes and they were all wrong geometry wise for me. I'm 5ft 4 and the Orange Diva was just too cramped for me and was seriously uncomfortable climbing hills. I was amazed as I consider myself to be very 'girly' shape-wise but found female specific bikes didn't fit at all.
    So, the message is try all sorts of bikes/frames/sizes on proper test rides (not just round car parks) before handing over your hard earned dosh!

Good luck

Kathg

ps I totally adore my Orange 5!
  • miss notax
    Kathg - it's weird the way it works isn't it, we're the same height but obviously suit different frames.... I guess that's why it's so flipping hard to second-guess what size bike will be perfect!

Not sure where i'm going with that, but interesting all the same! :?

• poppit
    She demoed a Juliana on sunday and liked it, apart from the uncomfortable saddle and stupidly wide bars. Don't understand why they fit bars like that to a small bike.

Anyway, we've ordered all the bits we need, should get it built up next week. With the reduction in price we've put on some really high spec' stuff like the fork, etc. Should last her a long, long time.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • miss notax
    Cool! Sounds fab :D

• I have a 14'' Orange Diva pro in Long version...i think its fab!!
    Im 5ft 3'' and it fits me perfectly, having previously been on a Giant Reign for the last couple of years, its a very different feel and a very different bike. Although my reign was fab, this climbs like spiderpig and feels great on the downhills.

Looking at the Juliana the other day i found that for the money the Orange has far better components for the cash and an option to customise it.....mine is!!!

i would try both and find out what your personal preference is..after all opinions are good but its your taste and cash that matters!
    happy biking xxxxxxxxx
    Im only happy when im dirty!
    My Orange 5 Diva is hotter than Megan Fox in the shower!!
  • poppit
    Picked up her new Juliana on Saturday, I've got to admit that's its the dogs xxxx and looks great, better kit on it than mine!

Went for a ride yesterday and she loves it, job done for the next few years I think.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • miss notax
    Brilliant :D

Glad she likes it and has many happy years biking!!!