LEJOG in 2011, anyone?

danowat
danowat Posts: 2,877
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
Mulling it over, and its something I'd like to do, first thought was do it solo, but I thought I'd see if anyone else was planning to do it, and wanted a buddy for the ride?.

Not sure of the month yet, maybe June/July/August sometime, was planning to do it at a steady pace and take up to 14 days.

Comments

• what the big difference in the lejog Vs jogle
    other than than the direction :D
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    what the big difference in the lejog Vs jogle

Prevailing winds in UK in summer tend to be from south west, so more chance of a tailwind on lejog than jogle.
  • danowat
    Indeed, not that it will probably make much of a difference!! :D
  • lejog is uphill and jogle is downhill
  • Planned to do it this year but holiday plans got in the way. My son starts in 2 weeks lucky boy. I am going to do it 2011 but my wife won't let me do it alone. Need a buddy.
  • danowat
    I've sent you a pm kpnuts
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Me and two friends finsished LEJOG on Thursday, we set ourselves 14days but finished in 12 and pushed out 111miles on the last day from Dingwall to John O'Groats - unfortunately we got to John O'Groats 10mins after the photographer left ! There was only one day that we had a head wind and the rest of the time it was behind us or a cross wind. 14days is more than enough time tho to do it in. As for the being up hill bit if you do LEJOG well, i dont know about that - there are certainly some long climbs especially between Helmsdale and Wick and in Devon and Cornwall but if im honest i was surprised at just how flat our route actually was. It was no where near as difficult as i thought it was either.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • danowat
    Did you use a route someone else had made?, or did you make one yourself?
  • teulk
    danowat wrote:
    Did you use a route someone else had made?, or did you make one yourself?

We originally planned to do the ride in 14 days so we basically looked for a route that had been done over that time frame. It wasnt until we got on the ride that we started to bring the days down by pushing more miles each day.
    We originally planend to take the A30 from Lands End to Bodmin but after driving down it we quickly decided we wouldnt. Again we decided not to take the A30 to Tiverton and over the the first two days we added about 25miles onto our expeted mileage, then again we managed to knock 14miles off our rexpected mileage between Penrith and Moffat. We basically just got up in the morning and picked a route between where and going to.
    Here is our route if your interested. The total mileage was 920miles

Lands end - Bodmin
    Bodmin - Tiverton
    Tiverton - Bristol
    Bristol - Tewkesbury
    Tewkesbury - Stoke on Trent
    Stoke on Trent - Clitheroe
    Clitheroe - Penrith
    Penrith - Moffat
    Moffat - Loch Lomond
    Loch Lomind - Fort William
    Fort William - Dingwall
    Dingwall - John O'Groats
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • danowat
    Thanks for that, gives me some idea of route, cheers
  • teulk
    We did the ride supported with a driver and a van so it didnt matter if the accomodation wasnt right on our route, however the places we stayed were no more than 6miles off our planned route and we cycled to each place we were stopping.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Planning JOGLE in May next year, purely because Cornwall as a finish is closer for me to drive home afterwards!
    Already recruited a couple of mates, hoping to get 6 or 8, eventually, each taking a day or morning/afternoon off to drive the support van.
    Hoping to complete it in 9 days!
    Spreading the word in work (Corus Port Talbot) and hoping to get some sponsorship for a worthwhile cause .....

http://www.tyhafan.org/

http://www.justgiving.com/Peter-Bowen-JOGLE
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    Hi guys, i'd like to hear more about the trip as it's something i'd like to do.

I'm in Norwich as well.
  • teulk
    dnrc wrote:
    Hi guys, i'd like to hear more about the trip as it's something i'd like to do.

I'm in Norwich as well.

What would you like to know ?
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    What colour dresses you're going to be wearing so I can make sure it doesn't clash with mine :-)

Or rather who why where and when it may be happening.
  • danowat
    Well, currently, its me and kpnuts, sometime around June / July, before the kids break up for hols, taking 14 days.

More the merrier IMO, but we aren't intending to break any records, its going to be an "enjoy the scenery" ride, rather than a balls out "lets see how fast we can do it" ride.
  • robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651
    .... there's loads of stuff at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

Rob
    (the site's webmaster and a double end-to-ender))
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    lejog is uphill and jogle is downhill

Keep getting told its uphill but surely sea-level to sea-level means its down as much as up?
  • robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651
    JZed wrote:
    lejog is uphill and jogle is downhill

Keep getting told its uphill but surely sea-level to sea-level means its down as much as up?

Nope - on a precise net basis LEJOG is downhill ... the clifftops at LE where you start are waaay higher above the sea than the finish at JOG

Rob
  • danowat

Hi

seen your post for April, are you still doing lejog next year, i was thinking of doing it too
  • I am thinking about this ride but it would have to be inside 14 days to completion as i could only get two weeks off work. i am from Suffolk.
  • Hi - just a thought to throw in the mix.

In the next year - Lejog is something I've set myself a challenge to do.

I'll probably do it on my Cannondale MTB with slicks.

As I was going to do it unsupported, what are your thoughts panniers vs a single wheel trailer (100kg load !)?
  • Me and a friend want to do it in Summer 2011 too, wanna join up?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    4 of us planning it for September, with a support drive in a camper van! planning on 8 days, if not 7.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • That's mental! You dudes must be seriously fit that's averaging about 120-125 miles a day.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    09phillt wrote:
    That's mental! You dudes must be seriously fit that's averaging about 120-125 miles a day.
    One of the group did it in 7 days previously so we are gonna see how it goes. Certainly aint gonna be taking 2 weeks off work to do it!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I'm going with a good frend at Easter. Easter falls at the end of April next year and for me is the best time to go.

We're planning on 7 days with the last day being a massive 170 miles. We're staying in a very famous branch of hotels due to connections so we've got to pick our route carefully.

What's people's thoughts on carrying stuff in particular tools? I had to get my team car (aka wife's car) to pick me up today (only third time in three years mind) as my rear mech bent into the wheel. What's the advice if you have a mechanical that is too bad to be road side fixed. Anyone have any experiences with this?

I was going to go with small length of chain, quick links, multi tool, a few spare inner tubes,puncture kit and a spare folding tyre. But now I'm thinking maybe I need more, spare inner cable, cable cutters, cassette remover. Any thoughts or am I being a bit paranoid?
  • hi there, i'm planning to do lejog next year and i would be more than glad to tag along with you. can you let me know the date your thinking of. Also, are you planning youth hostals and camping or something else.

cheers pato
  • Hi, we are doing LeJog in June/July( 11 riders 1 x masseur & 2 x support drivers itsfully booked sorry!)& for what its worth our route is LE- Okehampton- Bristol- Ludlow- Chorley- Carlisle- Edinburgh- Newtonmore- Tain- JoG ( and then climbing the 3 Peaks). This has been planned for 9 days of riding & 2 for climbing & if you are on a tight budget you are able to book at Travelodge for 6 of these stopovers which are quite cheap(£19.50 for most of them). Good luck to all of you attempting the ride, Tony
  • gazrolo
    gazrolo Posts: 28
    what the big difference in the lejog Vs jogle

I posed this exact question on our blog last week - we're doing our LEJOG in April. Initial thoughts were that we wanted to finish in Land's End as the options for last day celebratory beer or two were more attractive. However, after riding in some awful head winds recently, decided to do it the other way round and make life easier for ourselves, even if it does mean the celebrations may be tamer.

That said, they do still have pubs in JOG....right!?
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
    Twitter: G_Rolo