Brompton Speed Limits

OldSkoolKona
OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I broke the 35mph barrier on my Brompton at the weekend. It was downhill, on the road into Marlborough in Wilts which is a nice, well surfaced, wide road so not making any boasts on my ability to pedal the Bromton up to speed :lol: - wouldn't rate my chances coming back up the other way :shock:

Anyway, it got me thinking, for the Brompton owners out there, what's the fastest you've got your Brommie up to? At what point are the wheels spinning so fast that the bearings over cook and you do a Back to the Future style trail of flames down the road? :twisted:

Comments

• 88mph. :D
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1

WTF :shock:

Now tell me that's the speed it got up to folded away on the train to work, or I'll be seriously worried!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited August 2010
    At what point are the wheels spinning so fast that the bearings over cook and you do a Back to the Future style trail of flames down the road? :twisted:
    88mph. :D

Now tell me that's the speed it got up to folded away on the train to work, or I'll be seriously worried!

Back to the Future... 88mph...
    You started it :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo

Whoosh.

doc-and-marty.jpg
  • Ah, I see, slow today. Ah the 80's, the time of great films. :-)

No, the OP was (probably poorly) worded as to what the fastest people got their Brommie up to, they're quite fun the ride at that speed :-)
  • Well over 100mph. No real effort. In fact, very relaxing, with a bottle of wine, packet of nuts, iPod, a good book and views over the French countryside.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Well over 100mph. No real effort. In fact, very relaxing, with a bottle of wine, packet of nuts, iPod, a good book and views over the French countryside.

...and you don't need to book a Brompton on a Eurostar train!
  • rml380z wrote:
    Well over 100mph. No real effort. In fact, very relaxing, with a bottle of wine, packet of nuts, iPod, a good book and views over the French countryside.

...and you don't need to book a Brompton on a Eurostar train!

Indeed. The main reason I have one ....
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Don't have a speedo on mine... pretty sure I've done at least 30mph on it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • 38.6 mph, if my gps can be trusted, with touring bag but big hill and legs in spin drier mode :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    38.6 mph, if my gps can be trusted, with touring bag but big hill and legs in spin drier mode :D

I can belive it. I bet you can crack 35 going down from the cross roads towards perry park, nutter. :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 38.6 mph, if my gps can be trusted, with touring bag but big hill and legs in spin drier mode :D
    Ah, the old Brompton Spin Drier action, much better than going to a Spinning Class :-)

I suppose in a related query, how far have people cycle their Brommie? I'm half seriously considering using mine for a charity event at the end of the month, which would be 90 miles..
  • Bang on right prawny, there's no way i'd be near that speed without that hill :) i dread to think what speed you get upto down there?!

OldSkoolKona - The longest I've been on mine is a 60 mile round trip with an average speed of 18mph, which at the time I was a bit disappointed in. As long as you take it easy you could do 90, I find very little difference between my brompton and mtb. I'm sure people do much long distances than that, in fact I'm pretty sure someone did the London Edinburgh London audax on a brompton! Go for it I say :)
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    edited October 2010
    'tis decided - shall be doing Lap the Lough on the Brompton after a few promises after a pint or three. 8)

So in preparation, I've fitted it out with clipless pedals and I've cycled the full way to work the last two days. To be honest its not that much slower than the slicked up mtb commute (admittedly about 5 min slower than on the road bike) and its fun flicking it about, particularly clipped in. The really low centre of gravity makes trackstanding while sitting very easy! :twisted:

Just have to get it packed into the suitcase for the flight to Northern Ireland :-)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I suppose in a related query, how far have people cycle their Brommie? I'm half seriously considering using mine for a charity event at the end of the month, which would be 90 miles..
    There were plenty at the start of the Dunwich Dynamo the other week, ~120 miles. Not sure how many made it to the finish but I'd be amazed if it wasn't pretty much all of them.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    CiB wrote:
    There were plenty at the start of the Dunwich Dynamo the other week, ~120 miles. Not sure how many made it to the finish but I'd be amazed if it wasn't pretty much all of them.

I've done DD on mine - biggest challenge (S-Type) is lack of hand positions - had a few problems with numbness.

LEL (London-Edinburgh-London) has been done on a Brompton in 2009 (1400km)!
  • I've a few minor adjustments to make, but looks like it will fit in the case without a problem