Is it worth stretching my budget?

zoglug
zoglug Posts: 212
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Im currently looking to pick up a mountain bike to broaden my cycling horizons! Im primarily a road cyclist but a few of my mates do some off road stuff and i want to join them.

Originally, i set my budget at £500 to pick up a nice entry level bike, with my heart set on the Scott Aspect 45, but not before a lot of reading and thinking. Now however, i am considering stretching my budget. I sat on a friends Rockhopper SL and loved it, it felt ace but at £700 it comes in quite a bit over what i can afford at the minute! Am i getting a much better bike for the additional £200? I know budget and bike are very personal things, but does the Rockhopper warrant the addition £200, is the fork and components much better than the scott?

Cheers

Zog
iamwhatiam.gif

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    not sure tbh, the drive train is definitely better on the Specialized not sure on the fork as in the blurb it says it has a rock shoz recon but on the specs an SR

have yopu checked other stuff like KHS and Voodoo?

The Voodoo Bokor at £750 got a really good markup in a recent WMB or MBUK test (can't remember which) and the Genesis and Boardmans also come up really well in back to bcak tests

I think it's about getting the best fork you can lay your hands on as the rest can be upgraded as and when but tbh I'd search for a review because I don't know which is better out of the SR Suntour, the Recon or the Dart
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I would say about £500 would get you you a decent bike; that you could abuse for a year or two without bits falling off be able to keep up with mates on much more expensive bikes.

The KHS bikes are sold out of this years models, but the Genesis Core range start at around £599. Also consider the Cube Attention and Carrera Fury

http://www.khsbikes.co.uk/WMB-alite2000-rview.pdf

I'd stick to a budget as you'll probably buy a new helmet/shoes/pedals/gloves etc
    I like white bikes
  • zoglug
    That KHS bike looks really nice!

Thanks for the advice chaps, ill stick to my original budeget of £500, it will get me the Scott, GT or a Hardrock which i believe will serve me well. I suppose once i start looking to increase my budget i could end up paying stupid prices i cant really afford :D

Thanks for the advice!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I got myself a really bargain basement trek as I started on road as well and when I started getting into it properly went for a nice Giant Anthem X4
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Or you could try and pick up a used rockhopper :D

I know someone who started with a £500 budget and went on to spend £2000! :lol:

Stick with your budget and for £500, you'll still have a decent bike!
  • tails
    tails Posts: 30
    I went for KHS but they'd sold out, however the brothers I'd talked to on the phone where very helpful.

Due to being on a cyclescheme and having to use a LBS (which I agree with) I opted for a cube attention. I tried the hardrock, trek etc but only the cube felt right to me. I'd read that the fork is a weak point but the whole bike is a massive step up from anything before and I love riding it.

I'd say buy the bike that feels right but keep an eye on whether its easy to upgrade e.g i made sure it had hydraulic discs.

btw look for bikes going on sale now as 2011 models come in
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A friend picked up a 2009 Rockhopper Pro recently for £475. There can be some real bargains if you are prepared to search the internet & don't mind having last years paint job.
    I think it is worth paying the extra to get a Rockhopper rather than a Hardrock,, while I think my Hardrock is a great bike now that I have upgraded it the Rockhopper is much better straight out of the box. It's lighter, has better forks & better drive componants.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I'd personally look for a good upgradable frame firstly eg, i'd take the low end rockhopper over the high end hardrock. When you want better kit it's worth upgrading on a better frame, rather than just buying another new bike.
    I'd then look for disc compatible hubs if it doesn't comoe with disc brakes, then look at getting the best fork i can for the price.

drivetrain/shifters/brakes/forks etc you'll probably start looking around thinking there's something better out there eventually, so get a good frame that you find comfortable.
  • zoglug
    The reason ive not looked second hand is because i really dont know what to look out for! I wouldnt be able to tell if something is in good nick or has been abused and not looked after, for this reason ill more than likely buy new, so i am safe in the knowledge that it is set up properly and after 6 weeks i have the chance of a free service!

As for upgrading, ill be honest for the first 12-18 months the only thing i am likely to change is the tyres! My Allez (is it blasphemous to mention my Road bike here :wink: ) i have had now for 18 months and all i have done is change the standard tyres on it, I like to thin that money i spend, with the right care and attention will serve me well. And in all honesty, if i like it and enjoy it ill probably want a full susser rather than upgrading my hard tail. Now if only i had £1,800 spare!!!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • zoglug
    Sorry to double post but ive bitten the bullet and purchased this http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... b38s2p1886

Some good things said about it on the web and the spec seems reasonable for the price point! Thankfully, i dont need to pick up things such as shorts/helmet/lights as i can use the ones from my road bike! Cant wait for it to turn up and get out on it now!!!
    iamwhatiam.gif