Inverkeithing.

wgwarburton
wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,
Anyone know how easy it is to put a bike (a real one, not a folder) on a train at Inverkeithing between 8 & 9 on a weekday? Scotrail's policy is uncharged, first come first served but some peak-time trains are too busy (either with people or with bikes) to make boarding practical. This is to go into Edinburgh, in case that's not obvious!

Cheers,
W.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have a friend who lives in inverkeithing and just cycles into edinburgh every day....its only about 13 miles....I guess it depends how far you have come to get to inverkeithing though!

that train line at those times will be rammed. passengers from kurkuldaldy etc......
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I've done the North Queensferry - Edinburgh journey (which goes via Inverkeithing) and it would be absolutely impossible to get a bike on any of those trains - I couldn't even get myself on the first train due to the huge numbers of people!

Inverkeithing does have trains that come via other locations and which may be less busy, however.

So that's a nice "don't know" sorta answer for you. Lucky it's Commuting Chat land so it shan't be held against me...
  • wgwarburton
    cee wrote:
    I have a friend who lives in inverkeithing and just cycles into edinburgh every day....its only about 13 miles....I guess it depends how far you have come to get to inverkeithing though!

Yeah- 35 miles. The idea was to hop on a train for the trafficky bit into the city.
    that train line at those times will be rammed. passengers from kurkuldaldy etc......

That's what I was concerned about. :-(

Cheers,
    W.
  • cee wrote:
    Yeah- 35 miles. The idea was to hop on a train for the trafficky bit into the city.

a few guys at my work leave the car the inverkeithing park and ride and cycle in.

if desired its mostly back road/cycle path into city centre (or onto queensferry road @ cramond brig)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Buns - this is a serious question and you have asked it on the wrong forum - explain please :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Buns - this is a serious question and you have asked it on the wrong forum - explain please :wink:

He wants a reply?
  • wgwarburton

Hah! Limited relevance, I guess... seemed more of a chatty thing...

Anyway... I know I could cycle in from Inverkeithing/North Queensferry ec, but I don't really want to ride the whole 45 miles or so into work.

The stretch to there would be quite pleasant riding- along the Forth coast and early in the morning, so little traffic. Seems like a nicer option than riding south of the Forth through Grangemouth etc. I could take the train to Polmont or Linlithgow & ride from there, but that would have me riding the busy bit into the city instead of the quiet bit in the country...

It'd be a pain to get there at 8:15 and find I couldn't get on a train, though...

I'll ask the conductors on my usual train- maybe they work the Fife Circle services, too.

Cheers,
    W.