Parts prices in the USA

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Are bike bits and accessories cheaper in the USA?

My brother lives in California and I could send him a list of what to bring over at Christmas :D
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Are bike bits and accessories cheaper in the USA?

My brother lives in California and I could send him a list of what to bring over at Christmas :D
    A lot of things are cheaper. Beware of import duty + vat when you bring the stuff across the pond...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cool
    Anyone know any places in the west coast US that are worth looking in to that have online stores?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    It depends. If its imported from Europe, not usually. Campag and Mavic stuff was more expensive, I seem to remember, but Shimano and (then) US and Canadian made stuff like Cervelo, Trek, Giro, Sugoi etc. quite a lot cheaper.

Here, the converse is true.

When the exchange rate to the dollar went over 2:1 a couple of years ago, some frames were cheaper here, when ordering from the US, even once you'd factored in import duty and so on. I can't imagine that is true now.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Cool
    Anyone know any places in the west coast US that are worth looking in to that have online stores?

Not sure why an online store needs to be on the west coast.
    In any case try www.nashbar.com. and see if you like their prices. It doesn't get any cheaper than Nashbar here in the States.
  • Depends where he can get to. REI is a pretty wide-ranging place with branches everywhere. I'll be off to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks and the Hotel I'm staying at is just round the corner to Off ramp bikes, which is apparently pretty large.

I do have a free Sunday over there too, and have noticed that you can hire carbon road bikes for about £30 a day from Blazing Saddles in San Francisco....

I feel a plan coming together. :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm dealing with www.speedgoat.com about getting a bike to the UK. The service I've received so far has been excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just remember the import taxes are different for parts and full bikes.

Parts 4.7% and then the Vat. a full bike is 15% and then the Vat. check link below.

just make sure you can cover the costs if needed or your goods will be stuck.

current Tax info HM Revenue & Customs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Also, if buying in California, there will be a 8.25% sales tax to add to any prices.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    if your brothers bringing it, he is allowed a certain amount as 'gifts' so providing you don't go nuts, no need to worry about duty.

Buy him dinner as a thank you and you're sorted.

As for what to get, boutique style parts would be best, chris king headset etc.

I find CRC to be cheaper for parts than over here.
    FCN 12
  • dennisn
    Depends where he can get to. REI is a pretty wide-ranging place with branches everywhere. I'll be off to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks and the Hotel I'm staying at is just round the corner to Off ramp bikes, which is apparently pretty large.

I do have a free Sunday over there too, and have noticed that you can hire carbon road bikes for about £30 a day from Blazing Saddles in San Francisco....

I doubt you'll find any "good' prices at REI. Their stuff is way expensive. You might try looking for a Performance outlet while you're there. There is one in San Franciso at 635 Braunnan Street (phone 415-856-0230). Performance has better prices than just about anyone. There may be other Performance Stores in the area. Check their website for locations.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Depends where he can get to. REI is a pretty wide-ranging place with branches everywhere. I'll be off to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks and the Hotel I'm staying at is just round the corner to Off ramp bikes, which is apparently pretty large.

I doubt you'll find any "good' prices at REI. Their stuff is way expensive. You might try looking for a Performance outlet while you're there. There is one in San Franciso at 635 Braunnan Street (phone 415-856-0230). Performance has better prices than just about anyone. There may be other Performance Stores in the area. Check their website for locations.

Hmmm, Google tells me that there's a Performance branch a whole 0.1 miles away from the hotel. Thanks for the tip. I'm not *planning* on buying anything, but looking at the website it may be hard to resist!
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

Hmmm, Google tells me that there's a Performance branch a whole 0.1 miles away from the hotel. Thanks for the tip. I'm not *planning* on buying anything, but looking at the website it may be hard to resist!

Well, you're a much better man than I am IF you can walk into a bike shop and not buy way too much stuff. I also have a real problem leaving book stores empty handed.
    If this Performance Store is 0.1 miles from the hotel it must be IN the hotel. Good luck in using some or any restraint in shopping there.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Hmm, heading out on Tuesday.

Wonder if there's anything I should be picking up...
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    At the moment you might find a better deal on some goods but as mentioned I think your CRC, Merlin, etc. will have better prices even with the VAT added. I've made several £200+ purchases from the UK due to the prices being much lower. Of course I don't get charged the VAT but shipping and import duties often almost equal what your taxes would cost a local. As far as finding the best online US sellers I find that a google for specific parts/bikes/clothing turns up the best prices which are usually from the larger, more popular stores. I've never come across any "Dave Hinde" types here yet but feel free to PM me if you're in doubt.