Whats your transport?

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Steve_F wrote:
    Volvo estate. Thought about a van but the Volv is massive while still a comfy car. Two racks on the roof but usually use the boot

Ditto.

Nice big Volvo estate, fits both bikes easily so we just bung them in the boot. Sadly this means that the car always smells of mud (or worse :shock: ) :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Roof rack, Thule 591, lots of care...

car.jpg

Like it, always makes me smile when I see something like that with a bike rack on the roof! In Glasgow they're usually filled with load of property schedules, empty starbucks cups and an overflowing ashtray...

My wheels are a honda prelude 2.2 with the optional saris bones 3 spoiler at the back 8)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    Old Shogun Sport with a 3 bike Thule on the tow hitch. Loads of room for people, gear and my dogs, (Great Dane and Collie Cross).
  • handon94
    handon94 Posts: 137
    currnetly using A peugeot boxer could fit about 20 bikes in it but only room for 3 in the front :(

but soon to be using a mini clubman saloon 1979 :)
    diamondback LS02
    giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ive got a Astra coupe turbo running 300bhp which is my show car.
    and the other halfs motor is a nissan micra cc
    so i use pedal power or mates van pending on distance lol. :wink:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Front wheel off, thrown in the back of my Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi - perfect for mile munching! :)
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Old BMW estate. Wheels off, bikes upside down, forks facing backwards. Wheels arranged to the side behind the third passenger.

Used to use an old BMW saloon. Blankets on the back seat, one frame facing left, more blankets, other frame facing right. Wheels in boot. I had a bike rack, but hated it.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    focus 2.0 TDCi, used to be front wheels out in the back, but i've just had a towbar fitted so currently looking for a rack for the back :D
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • Do people wash their bikes off before putting them in the car or ride somewhere other than the uk?

I think I have only once come home from a ride with no mud on the bike and the wife practicaly accused me of being elsewhere up to no good.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Tartanyak
    Lots of blankets and plastic down. Plus, giving them a once over is good before you fling them in.

Oh, and old cars.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Do people wash their bikes off before putting them in the car or ride somewhere other than the uk?

In the summer its fine, but in the winter I carry my dirtworker with me - enough water in there to give me and my mates bike a good clean before going back in the car. Its a lot less hassle in the winter to do it there any then when you are already wet and muddy rather than dragging yourself out after a shower and a lovely roast dinner once your home :)
  • Tartanyak
    I reckon I'm too short and my bike's too heavy to contemplate a roof rack for long :D
  • '02 Corolla. It's my car so the back seats are permanently down with an old sheet laid out. Mrs HH has her own car.

Two bikes with the front wheels out laying on their sides one on top of the other and separated by an old duvet.

Muddy bike/s get washed as soon as I get home so the car's got muddy wheel marks all over the inside :D
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • '04 MG ZT, and for a fairly big car, it's got a fookin TINY boot. Been meaning to buy a rack, but will hopefully be trading it in soon. Quite fancy a pickup.
    To be honest, most of my riding is local, so I just ride to and from the trails. It's much easier anyway.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206

car.jpg
    See now thats one area where I'll admit a Porsche is worth the money over my lesser NIssan 370z, you can get a bike rack for it! I so wish Nissan made a bike rack for it, could combine great roads and riding in North Wales.

As I cant get a decent rack for the Zed, it has to be the missus Ibiza with 2x Thule 591s on it.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Nutlog
    Nutlog Posts: 13
    Mitsubishi l200 warrior with a hardtop on the back, plenty room for bikes and crap in it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Front wheel off, back of the Civic, with sheets to protect from dust and mud. Car still gets dusty and muddy though inside.

Can't fit a rear rack on the Civic hatch, don't really want a roof rack. I'd like a tow bar rack but I don't want a tow bar on when I'm not carrying the rack and looking at the detachable set ups it still leaves an ugly bar socket on the rear.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont have a car these days so its either borrow one or use the train. Merseyrail, NorthernRail, Transpennine Express, Virgin and Arriva Trains Wales get used a lot. As long as you book ahead they are all fine apart from Transpennine who seem to have especially recruited a bunch of ex traffic warden kokheads as guards, they are all cnuts.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Wifes Fiesta with a Thule 3bike tow bar mounted rack, she got feed up with the marks left on the car from the boot strap style racks one of the best investments I made. I Also put a cable lock on the thing so when im out riding no bugger steals it :roll:

Did use a van for a few years before moving, that is best way to transport your bike mates beer etc for a weekend
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Do people wash their bikes off before putting them in the car or ride somewhere other than the uk?

Depends, but I've lined the load bay of mine with some old carpet and underlay foam I nabbed off Freecycle, and there's a big blue tarp in there for really manky days. (it does make it look like I'm planning a murder though).

Still prefer to wash it first when it's really bad, I fancy getting a dirtworker when money allows.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Honda Accord hatchback. Don't have to take bike apart, just put seats down and in it goes.

Velour upholstry and mud are a poor mix though.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • WelshLoon
    WelshLoon Posts: 102
    Photo007-1.jpg

Fitted with roofbars now and 2 x thule 591's, bliss.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Used to have a Land Rover Discovery, so put seats down and 2 bikes in the back.
    Sadly the rust monsters ate it.

So recently picked up an elderly Shogun, 2 bikes and all our gear go in easily, and its a comfortable drive! When the bikes are not on board, the dogs can have the boot!

Going to give it a real test in September, off to Scotland for a weeks biking- roughly 1500 miles in 10 days!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • WelshLoon wrote:
    Photo007-1.jpg

Fitted with roofbars now and 2 x thule 591's, bliss.

No way, I think that's my mates old Octy lol Did you buy it off a guy in Stoke?

Back to the story....I had a Bora TDI with VW roof bars and a Thule bike rack. I found security the biggest worry especially when going for a ride after work and leaving the car with an expensive bike on the roof for all to see all day.

Anyway just put a deposit down on a VW Transporter :) That should do it lol
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • WelshLoon
    WelshLoon Posts: 102
    Bought a while ago from a chap called Gary, works for mx5 dealer in congleton, think he lived in biddulph. is this who your on about?

Changed the wheels for some 18" Anthracite numbers now which has toned it down a little :D
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    peugeot 206 gti. Was using a rear bike rack until my shed burnt down and it got slightly melty so now I just put the back seats down and pop it in the boot.
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Peugeot 106 oi, stop laughing!

Both wheels off and my bike and riding kit goes in the back, with the parcel shelf out and the back seats folded down....just about anyway.

Probably going to get a Focus soon for a bit more space, without the hassle and expense of driving a hearse/estate round all week, for the odd weekend biking journey.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203

car.jpg
    Love it!

I currently have a Boxster so if it's nice I stick the wheels in the front boot, put the roof down and the remainder of the bike sits on the passenger seat, forks just sit on the door though so I can't put window up...

Have been thinking about going down the 997 / roof rack route next.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    Ford Transit. :D
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg