Horrible crash, cleat advice needed from some1 that has too

Tazman46
Tazman46 Posts: 10
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi Everyone,
Had a huge stack on my Tricross a month ago. Apart from the usual gashes and bumps I massively strained my groin and only now have I even managed to clamber on and make a couple of rotations. I suspect it was caused by my foot not releasing, me going 1 way while bike went the other. I am now really scared about using clipless, I wasn't that confident in the 1st place and had only been using them 5 months anyway. I would like to try to continue with them once I'm fit but can't go through this again. Logic tells me I would have more chance of "automatically" releasing if I used the multi release but I've heard conflicting views on general use. The 1 that bothers me most is that an even more exagerated movement is required to release.
Hate to be picky but answers from people that have crashed in both would be hugely appreciated as I have already trawled through many pages of theories and am still just as uncertain.
Gagging to get back on the bike before the summer's gone :( , thank you all in advance for your help.....

Comments

• slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    To be honest I'd go to flats for a short while. I had a shoulder injury ages ago and the muscle was weakened temporarily. Problem was I couldn't feel it as the surrounding muscles overcompensated for it and I reinjured it a few times before I learnt my lesson. I'm assuming your injury was caused by a twisting motion and any fall could lead to a repeat... Stick it out on flats for a couple of months then go back. Your muscles will be fully healed and less chance of reinjuring yourself. Flats give you that little bit of additional safety in a crash as you can dab...

If you're determined to go out on spd's sooner people need to know what sort you use to advise - I'm assuming Shimano?

James
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Use Crank Bros, like flats but with added power and they will never hold you in during a crash.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Tazman46
    Tazman46 Posts: 10
    Ah ok, sorry didn't realise. Yes Shimano, the type that are used for off road. So these Crank Brothers, is there any type of foot holding system at all?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Firstly only buy CB's if you want to service them regularly, if you don't then buy Shimano. You can adjust the retention force on Shimano pedals (at least all the ones I've ever bought) so try slackening them off until you find a balance between few accidental unclips and not needing much effort to unclip when you want to. I really wouldn't blame SPDs for contributing to most crashes though, I have more dodgy moments riding flats although admittedly I don't use them enough to adjust back to them properly (you can get a bit lazy using SPDs).
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Tazman46 wrote:
    Ah ok, sorry didn't realise. Yes Shimano, the type that are used for off road. So these Crank Brothers, is there any type of foot holding system at all?

yeah but it's more forgiving than the SPD system,

http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_eggbeater.php

I used SPD for years then tried Crank Bros and didn't look back, the whole system is better, the pedals are better and ultimately serviceable too, I have the a set of Mallets from 03 and they are still going strong with only light servicing been done a couple of times. (re grease only)

http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_mallet.php

and they can be used as flats too for light riding / trips to the pub etc. :D
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    U used CB for years but the servicing has become too much. I now use time, similar retention system, more robust pedal.

Saying that, t here are new CB pedals due to come out (if not already in the shops) that supposedly need less servicing.

shimano Multi release cleats are great for getting used to clipless, they don't need more foot movement, they need less. there can be incidents of pulling your foot out of the system but that is the only drawback.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    In all the crashes I have had with spds (I've had a fair few, including one over the bars yesterday), my feet have released. Both with standard and multi directional.

Don't let it put you off.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    When I got my bike it came with a set of CB Acid pedals on, first ride out had a fairly minor crash as I couldnt release and landed on my ribs (out for 2 months) causing heavy bruising.

Went to flats for 7 mths as I coudlnt get to grips with the CB's.

Just recently tried some shimano SPD's and couldnt be happier can release much quicker and easier if I need to and thus feel more confident and a lot more stable on the bike.

Shimano have 4 degrees of float with adjustable tension release.
    CB's have 6 degrees of float with either a 15 or 20 degree release angle, there is no tension adjustment.