Upgrade my bike

mrbez
mrbez Posts: 113
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

I have a completely stock Felt Q220 and I am looking to upgrade it.

I have no idea when it comes to this kind of things, and was looking for suggestions on what I should go for?

I don't mind used equipment.

I'm assuming forks, brakes and possibly pedals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ayything wrong with what you have, or just fancy better throughout? If the latter, it would be cheaper and easier just to get a new bike.
  • mrbez
    To be honest mate, this was my first bike. I paid £450 for it from Evans and have used it perhaps 5 times.

My mate paid £650 for a Kona Cindercone and that just felt so much better than mine. The build quality etc. I wish I would have had the £200 extra at the time but I didn't, so I would like to keep what I have and buy/sell to improve if possible?

Or is what I have not exactly very good?

Thanks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What sort of budget do you have, and which year Felt was it?
  • mrbez
    I bought it in October last year.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    You can end up spending hundreds, the fork, groupset, brakes, and wheels would all make a difference. What you would end up spending on new or used parts, you would be better buying a complete secondhand bike funded by the sale of yours...

You mention the build quality of the Kona ? then whats the point of upgrading yours as you may never be happy...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • mrbez
    I know what you mean.

Do you think I would be able to sell my bike? If so, for how much?

Craig.
  • Pudseyp
    Hi Craig, what did it cost ? around £350 ? if in good condition and you still have the paperwork, at a push £250 ?

At the £400-£500 price range there are plenty of nice bikes on ebay, such as Genesis Altitude and Cores, Boardman Sports, Cannondale F5. Rockhoppers, Trek's and Giants...if your patient you will in the end bag a cracker
  • mrbez
    I think it was £380 to be exact.

It has covered around 20 miles, and yes, very good condition.

It has dirt guards on also.

Do bikes sell on here often?

I have all of the original receipts from Evans. It was also serviced there a couple of weeks after I bought it.

Is it worth trading in at Leisure Lakes, or am I better buying a used bike to save a lot?
  • Pudseyp
    Leisure Lakes also do second as well so see how much they will give you...try on here in the classifieds to sell yours and see what prices are being asked for something you may like..