Silly commuting time trials

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I don't get much SCR in my commute so it's usually just me against the clock. Today was a great one!

Despite a couple of traffic light stops, a favourable tailwind (given the evil headwinds every evening, the rarity of matching morning tailwinds is depressing!) and decent performance earlier this week meant I reckoned I should break the 30 minute barrier for my 9.5 miles for the first time in a while.

Despite the distraction of a minor altercation with WMV behind me who hooted me for overtaking the car that had just very obviously pulled in ahead of us (obviously he expected me to pull in behind the car and wait for his holiness to pass), I pulled into the carpark, checked the computer and............ 28 minutes and 29 seconds. First ever sub 29. Not only that, but on uploading the time to SCS I get an average speed of......
wait for it
20.01 miles per hour 8)

I'm happy with that for a hilly route and a heavy bike.

I daresay it might be a bit harder going home but an extended extended commute home via Wetherby and Otley will be my prize :D
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I was going to post this on monday, great minds and all that.

All time record on monday 20.8 for 19.97 miles. Well chuffed.

I think I might have finally cracked the hour, but as I wasn't really trying I didn't clock what time I left! D'oh! :roll:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • My all-time great is 32:30 for 12.5 miles. Average speed of 23.1 mph.

I'm so glad I don't have traffic lights....
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *grumble, grumble, grumble*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I struggle to get above 17mph on way in. Plenty of traffic lights, busses and junctions to hold me up. Slower on way back, as slightly more hills and traffic is always heavier.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • JonGinge wrote:
    *grumble, grumble, grumble*

Well I *do* have them, but only 10. :lol:
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    7.2 miles - best yet 23mins 56 secs which equates to 18mph

Lots of lights all badly sequenced + roadworks & traffic but I want to get a speedo now so that I can check top speeds and moving average..
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Gah, envious! On my short (7miles) commute in, I just can't do any better than 15.5mph average. Thats along Goldhawk Road, through Holland Park, Notting Hill, Oxford Street... Very busy, with much of it being stuck behind buses. The journey home (~25miles) from Blackfriars -> Putney Bridge and then through Mortlake, a circuit of Richmond Park and then back to Chiswick via H'Smith bridge, the best I've managed is 18mph average. Too much traffic, too many traffic lights....well thats my excuse anyway :P

I guess its good sprint training though? :)
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Rolf F wrote:
    20.01 miles per hour 8)

I'm happy with that for a hilly route and a heavy bike.

I daresay it might be a bit harder going home but an extended extended commute home via Wetherby and Otley will be my prize :D

Hat, sir.
    Sussex is kind of hilly, but not Yorkshire hilly. You are clearly more awesome than me :(
    PB on the long route is 17.3mph
    short commute 17.5mph

EDIT: whereabouts do you live? I have family in Otley and vaguely know the area.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    prawny wrote:
    I was going to post this on monday, great minds and all that.

'Silly Commuting Madisons' still hasn't been posted :lol:
    Norky wrote:
    EDIT: whereabouts do you live? I have family in Otley and vaguely know the area.

I'm in Calverley. My route is as per sig so there is a lot of downhill reducing my awesomeness but there is some steep up as well. I'd guess about 12 of the 28 minutes is climbing.

Home tonight via Wetherby and Otley as promised - so a total of 3:01:17 ride time today for 50.4 miles in total.
    Faster than a tent.......