Who wants to value my bike...

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Cycle to work scheme is ending, now we get to the fun bit of the fair market value, who wants to give this a go?
I was wondering if you could give me some indication of the fair market value of an ex-rental road bike, one year old with approximately 4000 miles on the clock? I'm coming to the end of my cycle to work and have been asked to give some input. The bike has been fairly well maintained, but has some wear and tear.

The precise model is a BeOne Mistral, which cost about £600 new, this is no longer the most up-to-date model of this bike.

Comments

• lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I'll give you a fiver, but only if it's had a full service...
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • lardboy wrote:
    I'll give you a fiver, but only if it's had a full service...

No servicing, ever (except done by me). I'm not even washing it until the value has been decided. ;)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    For Cycle to work purposes £45

Reality - £150
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Reality - £150

I'm not sure I like your reality. :cry:
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Well, my employer uses cyclescheme.co.uk and the final payment was 5% of the voucher value + VAT, IIRC. That would make it £35.25.

HTH,

_
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Second hand bikes aren't worth much.

Remember also that work only own bits that haven't been replaced. My scheme runs for 3 years, I may way just give them the frame back if it's not broken. So far I've not replaced bars, stem, fram forks headset BB and brakes. Bars are going to get changed in the new year maybe stem too and I don't think the BB will last much longer. 8000 miles now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Realistically, you could probably get £200-£300 for it on eBay or similar, but the Cycle to Work scheme would probably value it around £40.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    prawny wrote:

It seems to me that second hand bicycle prices are very high.
    Realistically, you could probably get £200-£300 for it on eBay or similar

I would have thought a bit lower as the Beone brandname isn't as well known as a Trek, Giant or Specialized
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I recently took ownership of a Cyclescheme bike. The voucher was for around £950, and I paid them £57. That's 6%, so I'd go with £36 for your BeOne.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I paid £26 on a £500 voucher
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    prawny wrote:

It seems to me that second hand bicycle prices are very high.
    Realistically, you could probably get £200-£300 for it on eBay or similar

I would have thought a bit lower as the Beone brandname isn't as well known as a Trek, Giant or Specialized

True, but I did see a fairly new BeOne Race sell recently on eBay for about half the RRP (I was looking for one at the time) which is what I based the valuation on. BeOne bikes compare very well to their bigger name rivals so somebody who knows their bikes would happily pay that I reckon.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    30 quid and be done with it.

How are the bottom bracket and wheels?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    prawny wrote:

Remember also that work only own bits that haven't been replaced. My scheme runs for 3 years, I may way just give them the frame back if it's not broken. So far I've not replaced bars, stem, fram forks headset BB and brakes. Bars are going to get changed in the new year maybe stem too and I don't think the BB will last much longer. 8000 miles now.

Is that entirely accurate?

The hire agreement talks a lot about you being responsible for the maintenance...I guess I would have thought that say you only go through a BB in the year....you have to return it with a functional BB...at a 'maintained' standard?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    cee wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Is that entirely accurate?

The hire agreement talks a lot about you being responsible for the maintenance...I guess I would have thought that say you only go through a BB in the year....you have to return it with a functional BB...at a 'maintained' standard?

I may be completely wrong, but that's the way I was thinking about it. Good job I'm a hoarder and have kept all the knackered bits just in case :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Don't get me wrong, the bike's in fine fettle. I've done plenty of maintenance on it. Wheel bearings were upgraded when replaced, run true and are altogether great. Bottom bracket seems fine. I'm not going to wash it in case I need to get it valued, which the accountants seem keen on.

Edit: Liking the shopping list, but come on, why no gift wrap?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dunno, but im only really going to be buying the frameset
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    dunno, but im only really going to be buying the frameset

You *should* get it gift-wrapped. It'd be like Christmas!
  • spasypaddy
    :lol:
    maybe we'll see. i havent decided for certain whether thats the frame for me or not yet
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    spasypaddy wrote:
    :lol:
    maybe we'll see. i havent decided for certain whether thats the frame for me or not yet

I've just checked; it is. Do it!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • spasypaddy
    well you didnt check very well because its the wrong size :lol:

i need to do some more research before blowing 2.5k on a frame and i need to save the money first!
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    No pics = WTFaiL :shock: