Tron Lightcycle

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
New commuter lights, or total rubbish?

http://www.nightbrighttyre.com/

Can't see them working on slicks, purely for the knoblies....
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• Their website has no pictures at all - just a graphic animation. It makes me think that they're still at the ''concept'' stage. How else could you end up with something designed for visibility that's not actually visible? I don't really see how anybody can judge them without seeing them, say, at night under street lighting.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    can't see it working...we all have our own idea of what the best tyre is....can't see me switching to these just for the lights....

also...they reckon all other road vehicles have permanent running lights....even during daylight.....volvo's and saab's maybe, but my car doesn't.

Also, as said....what about on slick tyres for you road bikey types..

agree....it's a concept...doesn't exist.....never will.

A couple of winters ago, we put some glo-sticks in our spokes for off-road nightriding....

that looked cool on camera.....shuffles off and searches for Tron Lightcycles type game for phone........
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • interesting idea. would be nice to see how effective they are in reality
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Why on earth would you put lights in the tyre, which is a consumable item? The spokes are just a few centimetres further away....

Today I seem to be coming across more muppetry than usual. I think I need a beer.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Bit overcomplicated isn't it? Also all the visibility is to the side when it's front and rear you need.

Maybe for kid's bikes it has a place??
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Why on earth would you put lights in the tyre, which is a consumable item? The spokes are just a few centimetres further away....

True.

I guess when you get past the big kid reaction (i want a Tron light cycle) it doesnt make a lot of sense.

I still want a Tron Light Cycle but Santa aint brought me one yet. I assume its in the pile with my back to the future hoverboard.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Why on earth would you put lights in the tyre, which is a consumable item? The spokes are just a few centimetres further away....

Today I seem to be coming across more muppetry than usual. I think I need a beer.

This was my exact first thought. Attach the light to the wheel not the tyre, that way people can use what ever tyre they want and don't have to worry about it wearing out, changing batteries, etc ....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i am more concerned about the Left side drive system they seem to be developing.

the Reelight is a great idea.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/10/reelight-magnet/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i am more concerned about the Left side drive system they seem to be developing.

Tee hee, good spot! I didn't notice that.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    If you're going to bling your bike with lights, there is only one choice; http://www.monkeylectric.com/ (example here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT13ZcpwYtA)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Had a look at that Monkeyelectric site.....oh man I have got to get me one of those - what about the video option??? Imagine cycling down the street with your wheels as movie screens! blingety blingety blingety bling
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.