MTB from Halfords - Build quality

2»

Comments

• '@ Disko stink

Yeah, I've heard quite a few bad stories about halfords, but also some good ones...so it seems it's a mixed bag.

It's a free build, so it's worht taking in case in turns out okay, then take it to a local bike jus to make sure everything is okay and in wokring order. It's also worth taking advantage of the free 6 week service at halfords, as hopefully they can put anything that is wrong with the bike, right.

Liam
  • the inner pad should be just rubbing (if it's a cable brake) it should just make a "zinging" noise as you spinn th ewheel but shouldn't slow it down . If the front wheel was not put in staright the calliper may need to be re-centered on the rotor.

Thanks for that. It is a cable brake. It doesn't make a zing noise, it's much more scrape-y, though that may be just it settling in, and the wheel definitely doesn't freely.

I'm delving into the Parktools website for tips on setting up a new bike. Interesting reading :)

I agree with going ahead with the six week check-up at Halfords. Even if it's rubbish and you have to go over the bike again afterward, at least you're covered if you have any problems with the bike; they can't just turn round and say 'well you should have brought it in for your free service'!

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lbknuckles wrote:
    Record your frame number and get the details on Immobilise.com registration site.
    Have done mine now, just tick the "dont want your spam box" !!! Its free
    Does that do any good? Nicked bikes are generally re-sold through dubious channels that aren't going to check the database.
    DiscoStink wrote:
    I noticed while i was out of the bike that the back wheel had a kink (sorry for not knowing the technical term for this) in it when the wheel spun round. After checking the rear rim there was a straight crack from one side to the next under a sticker.
    There is a seam in rims that looks a bit like cracks.

But yeah, Halfords is a mixed bag, and definitely you get the poor service at weekends. To be fair to them the majority of customers need little more than a monkey to deal with, and I believe the bikes are mostly pre-assembled and the monkeys don't have much else to do. Still, it's always worth double checking their work and that of who pre-assembled them (though I've heard for some bikes they are supplied in the box mostly pre-assembled from factory).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to find a Halfords where they care, my daughter works at a local one and has been fairly impressed by the staff.

HOWEVER depending on the bike they are not allowed (meant) to rectify obvious faults at PDI if it was built wrong at the 'factory' and are meant to let it go out defective, my daughter won't do that, but others stick to the company policy and wait for it to come back so a warranty claim can be submitted.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    tilt wrote:
    ... bikes (which let's face it aren't the most complex of machines anyway).

This is probably why Halfords (seemingly) employ such an inadequate bunch of people in their bike sections - it's the 'how hard can it be' syndrome.

Yup, bikes are simple, but there's still a certain amount of nonce and common sense that's required :-)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    shm_uk wrote:
    tilt wrote:
    Yup, bikes are simple, but there's still a certain amount of nonce and common sense that's required :-)
    Nouse?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    HOWEVER depending on the bike they are not allowed (meant) to rectify obvious faults at PDI if it was built wrong at the 'factory' and are meant to let it go out defective

If that is true, then is incredibly bad practice. Not to mention dangerous.
  • Un like some of the storys here, I know my branch actually trains its mechanics and takes pride in selling well built bikes, any one not up to the job gets binned, or doesnt even make it through probation. It depends on who the cycles manager is. Ours is spot on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    If that is true, then is incredibly bad practice. Not to mention dangerous.
    Not to mention illegal as they'd be knowingly selling defective and/or dangerous goods. Should think trading standards may be interested in this.

That said, I think it's a common practice, not just with bike stuff. I know a number of computer stores that will continue to sell duff components and just leave the repairs to the consumer to file a warranty claim. Funny enough a particular one that employs the same monkeys that Halfords employ ;)
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    At the end of the day it's your safety and you have to check everything over when you get a bikes (as you should before any ride on a mountain bike which gets a lot of stick).

i have no doubt that places like halfords have a much higher chance of little cock ups and oversights but even the more reputable places can do things wrong.

I had the wrong front disc mount fitted causing a constant rub that the oval holes could account for and when I took my stem cap off I found the top of my forks had about 2-3mm of slant on the cut on the steerer tube.

Minor things but things that make you wonder if there is anything else done wrong or not done up tight enough.

But yes, I would be checking the work of a large chain a lot more carefully than someone like my LBS who are actual enthusiasts.