Question for male fixed riders

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I've got a rather nice Bontrager saddle that's thinnish and hardish but has seen many a comfortable mile with nary a complaint from the undercarriage.

Now I've converted the bike to fixed, and whenever I apply hard pressure in the 'brake' direction, I often twang a nadger to a most alarming level of stretch from where it's supposed to be - am I anatomicaly odd or is this a known fixie issue? :shock:
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you wearing lycra ? I only ask cos all my fixed riding is in full cycling kit and i've not twanged mine !
  • SimonAH
    Ah, no. Trousers and commando :oops: ...... Never had any issues geared or ss but I guess I'm going to have to lycra up (or tighten up) for fixed then.....

• Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Duct tape scrotum to your belly. Job done.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Norky wrote:

that's gonna be pleasant to remove...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Norky wrote:

You get used to it. Quickly.

Can't say I've noticed this, but then I ride with brakes. Have you considered looking at your saddle height?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SimonAH
    Asprilla,

My saddle position is really touchy, I have a height window and a fore and aft window of only a couple of mil for comfort and I've not touched it.

Actually I reckon the first reply has hit the nail on the head (or the nadge on the sack :D ) I reckon that they're always hanging out over the edge but with the fix the bike is trying to lift you off the saddle when you're leaning back rather than your legs trying to lift you out when you're leaning forward.

I guess I'm just going to have to invest in some of that black stretchy stuff after all, or some duct tape :shock:

• SimonAH
    Or just wait for the weather to cool down again :lol:

• SimonAH wrote:
    I guess I'm just going to have to invest in some of that black stretchy stuff after all, or some duct tape :shock:

In chanting toneDuct tape, Duct tape, Duct tape, Duct tape, Duct tape, Duct tape, ....

I'm inspired :shock: OT: never experienced this sensation irrespective of my attire
  • You could always go back to riding SS again?
  • SimonAH
    Nope, can't do that otherwise it would would make all the skin I've lost off my knuckles and my smashed pair of Oakley's from crashing on Sunday an empty gesture.......

• SimonAH wrote:
    Nope, can't do that otherwise it would would make all the skin I've lost off my knuckles and my smashed pair of Oakley's from crashing on Sunday an empty gesture.......

I thought pride came before a fall. :)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hi,

You don't leg brake. It's painful, can bugger your knees and for some reason hurts your knackers. Use your brake (if you don't have a brake, slap yourself on the wrist and install one) and you'll be fine.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't have bit's dangling riding any bike - just like having a slack chain on a fixed - will end in disaster............ :shock:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,682
    cougie wrote:
    Are you wearing lycra ? I only ask cos all my fixed riding is in full cycling kit and i've not twanged mine !

This. I ride a geared bike, but have experienced something similar. On the few occasions when I've ridden in jeans instead of lycra, it's all a bit like the national lottery draw down there if you catch my drift. Lycra is the way forward even if you wear something over the top - everything in it's place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Norky wrote:

There are some who'd pay good money to have that done to them
  • Norky wrote:

There are some who'd pay good money to have that done to them

Point them my way, could do with the moneys :oops:
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Get some lycra definitely... I've refused to go out without it since I sat on a bollock whilst wearing jeans. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.