Want to be faster. Time to dig out the road bike

SamWise1972
SamWise1972 Posts: 220
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been riding my single speed roadie (chrome steel, 75ish gear inches I think) for a while now in town, and really enjoying going faster. I'm at the point where I'm always over 20 mph really, and can sprint up to 30 (just about!) in the right conditions, but with gears, I'd be faster. I have an early 80's roadie (Gazelle Trim Trophy) in the garage, which has been waiting for me to get the right size seatpost, and sort out a wheelset. I rode it a good bit 5 years ago when I bought it (£20 on eBay) and really enjoyed it, but it had a couple of issues; period seatpost with a seperate clamp was on, so when I put on a Flite I had lying around, I put in a microadjust post that I thought was the same size. It wasn't, and I've lost the original, so saddle slop is an issue. Then I killed a rim truing the wheel (old aluminium), so I dropped in a set of 27" wheels I had laying around, but those are starting to pop spokes, and will continue to do so, due to age.

So, order a seatpost, dig around and find a set of 700c's I'm sure I can put something together. It's blue with yellow bar tape, and I think I have a set of decent yellow striped tyres, so I can look awesome too. It's about 22lbs, which was good back in the day, but the combination of that and the downtube shifters means, for me, that modern roadies are definite scalps. Thing is, it's the same technology as my SS in all ways, and I'm already stuffing everyone on that, so it's going to time trialling all the way I guess.

Watch out for me, because if you see me, I'm racing, and this will probably be the only one doing the rounds! :)

P1260006.jpg

Comments

• Nice! Liking the colour scheme - very like my Orbea, only the wrong way round.
  • Think how much more awesome with yellow tyres! If you don't mind (or even LIKE) riding vintage, eBay can yield some real bargains.
  • Think how much more awesome with yellow tyres! If you don't mind (or even LIKE) riding vintage, eBay can yield some real bargains.

I quite like the gum-walls. Kinda wish I'd hunted for some of those for mine.
  • They do have a vintage look. However, these are the tyres in question. They came on this bike, but of course, it needed white Rubinos for ultimate pose factor, so these have been sitting in the garage. I think they'll add a large slice of win.

P1260004.jpg