Please help me choose a new bike.

iainmoss
iainmoss Posts: 88
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I'm looking for a new bike for my 12mile, relatively flat commute. I'm in search of reliability & low maintenance.

My criteria:
1. Belt drive.
2. disc or hub brakes.
3. hub gears (at least 8-speed)
4. rear rack & mudguard mounts.
5. £1k or less.
6. Road orientated.

So far, my ideal bike is the Spot 'Sprawl' http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/sprawl/ but it is not viable at over £2k. Next best thing seems to be Trek's 'Soho' at £800 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I think you'd be lucky to get that for a grand!

I'd probably have one too....
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Sounds like the belt drive requirement is really going to limit your options. Can't offer any suggestions on bikes, but needing a belt drive seems a bit over the top. Keeping a chain running smoothly is no bother, plus you won't have any problems with spares should you ever need them.
  • Sounds like you need Roastie's Such. Shame it's not in production yet.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or a Trek District (£750) and lace in an alfine hub?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Double posted.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • iainmoss
    SimonAH wrote:
    Or a Trek District (£750) and lace in an alfine hub?

I'm not sure about fitting a hub gear to a carbon frame like that of the District; don't the hubs need some sort of torque arm?

It seems to me that the Trek Soho is pretty much exactly what I want. I'm only turned off by the fact it has roller brakes! I guess an upgraded fork will allow a disc brake up front.

Hmmmm....
  • Cotic Road Rat. Ticks all your boxes minus the belt drive.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Thorn with a Rohloff hub. Doesn't have a belt drive but I can't imagine how much that would suck if it broke down halfway to work. At least a chain is always sortable!
  • iainmoss
    I've long wanted a Thorn but it doesn't suit the budget, certainly not with a Speedhub.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    2nd hand? I got my Thorn Brevet off ebay as a bit of a bargain.
  • AndyI
    AndyI Posts: 156
    Have a look at the Norco ceres. I think it ticks all of your boxes. Only problem, I'm not sure if there's a UK stockist or whether you'd need to import one from Canada. Try some UK 8) Norco dealers, they may be able to help. i think the list is £750 or thereabouts.
    A racing mind in a touring body.
  • AndyI
    AndyI Posts: 156
    This is the 2011 version if you can find one:
    http://www.norco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ceres-11-grn.jpg
    A racing mind in a touring body.
  • iainmoss
    AndyI wrote:
    Have a look at the Norco ceres. I think it ticks all of your boxes. Only problem, I'm not sure if there's a UK stockist or whether you'd need to import one from Canada. Try some UK 8) Norco dealers, they may be able to help. i think the list is £750 or thereabouts.

Thanks AndyL- that Norco looks like just what I want. I'll see if I can find one!