Bikes on the underground

mediconabike
mediconabike Posts: 13
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Does anyone know if you're allowed to take a bike in a bike-bag on the tube?

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    If it's in a bag it's a bag. People take huge suitcases and friggin' cellos on board, so you shouldn't be worried about being stooped.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Been on the tube with a 100L backpack on so don't see why not...
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Are bikes not allowed on the tube ?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    You're not allowed to tak bikes on the deep level Tube lines. Only lines that are near the surface or above ground like the Circle, District and Metropolitan Lines. Probably something to do with bikes blocking emergency deep level exits if there was a fire or something. If the bike was in a bag it may be more easily disguised but you still may have problems, if it's a folder in a bag then you may be OK. I don't really know. I've sneaked mine onto the Northern Line before, on a Sunday night when there was barely anyone around but I got ticked off at the exit at London Bridge station....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 what headhunter said. I have also never had a problem taking a Dahon on the deep level tube lines - but always carry a bag to be on the safe side. Here is offical policy http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11701.aspx
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You're not allowed to tak bikes on the deep level Tube lines. Only lines that are near the surface or above ground like the Circle, District and Metropolitan Lines. Probably something to do with bikes blocking emergency deep level exits if there was a fire or something. If the bike was in a bag it may be more easily disguised but you still may have problems, if it's a folder in a bag then you may be OK. I don't really know. I've sneaked mine onto the Northern Line before, on a Sunday night when there was barely anyone around but I got ticked off at the exit at London Bridge station....

Yep, got ticked off when I got off the Northern Line at Waterloo after changing at Embankment. It was about 11pm, though. They said it was because it was a deep level station, but I had absolutely no idea, so the staff were good about it - said the guards at Tower Hill should have enquired about my journey before hopping on the tube there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    folded bikes allowed on any tube, any time.

normal bikes allowed only on sub-surface lines, and the 'open' bits of the other ones (where train leaves tunnel). and not in morning or evening peak, which ends at 7pm.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Robstar24 wrote:
    folded bikes allowed on any tube, any time.

normal bikes allowed only on sub-surface lines, and the 'open' bits of the other ones (where train leaves tunnel). and not in morning or evening peak, which ends at 7pm.

No bikes allowed on the DLR, even though it's above ground most of the way.