New stage race in Colorado

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited August 2010
    To quote Rockmount: Who gives a sh!t?
    Here in the UK we have access to all the major European races, such as the Giro.
    I see the UCI have set this one against La Vuelta.
    Good luck with that.
    Home grown teams only need apply.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Might not be the brightest move in the world to associate him with your race at the moment.

I used to like the Coors Classic in the 80's. But it was a chipper really. But like the ToC, I enjoyed it when it was in Feb, but when it clashed with Giro, no contest. Perhaps that was the average racing (aside from 1 stage)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Who gives a sh!t?

Jeez, chill out. Don't shoot the messenger!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If he's going to ride it, doesn't that mean he'll have to have a license and be in the testing pool for another year? Or are the UCI going to let him dip in and out whenever he feels like it like they did with the TDU?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    afx237vi wrote:
    If he's going to ride it, doesn't that mean he'll have to have a license and be in the testing pool for another year? Or are the UCI going to let him dip in and out whenever he feels like it like they did with the TDU?

Didn't they do that with Cipo as well?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    iainf72 wrote:
    Might not be the brightest move in the world to associate him with your race at the moment.

I used to like the Coors Classic in the 80's. But it was a chipper really. But like the ToC, I enjoyed it when it was in Feb, but when it clashed with Giro, no contest. Perhaps that was the average racing (aside from 1 stage)

I dunno, there was decent racing in more than one stage of the Giro.

Seriously though, why do two races have to go "head to head" if they're on at the same time? Like the Giro and ToC, I was able to watch them both. More cycling on, result.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    DaveyL wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Didn't they do that with Cipo as well?

In the Tour of California? Probably, but they shouldn't be doing it for anyone.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

Shouldnt make much odds to you given that as a cycling fan you dont even watch much of the TDF .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    DaveyL wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    . More cycling on, result.

+1

at least some of us can see the positive side of more racing on TV
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited August 2010
    And here's a pic of a previous stage winner of the last big stage race to go through Colorado:

american_flyers.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hope they have an evil russian dude.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Pokerface wrote:
    And here's a pic of the previous winner of the last big stage race to go through Colorado:

american_flyers.jpg

wrong brother.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    deal wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    And here's a pic of a previous stage winner of the last big stage race to go through Colorado:

american_flyers.jpg

wrong brother.

Yeah - but no one would have recognized the other brother :oops: Fixed the description.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sounds like a good thing for cycling in the USA, but i'm also surprised they want to be associated with LA at the moment. Maybe without his name it simply wouldn't have got enough publicity?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sounds like a good thing for cycling in the USA, but i'm also surprised they want to be associated with LA at the moment. Maybe without his name it simply wouldn't have got enough publicity?

I suppose he's still OK until the full findings of the investigation are revealed. By that time, the sponsors will be on board and Colorado will have a race (and it's a good place to have one). This has to be a good thing, and would prove popular with riders wanting to do altitude training, if it wasn't in August.

Anyway, it seems that cycling has become a political issue in Colorado

http://www.denverpost.com/election2010/ci_15673894

(Link originally posted by Le Commentateur in Cake Stop)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Just what we need.
    Another race to play second-fiddle to the Tour of California.
    Which was, in itself, a boring non-event.
    One for the baseball-cap-backward Texas long-horn brigade......................they're welcome to it!
  • afx237vi
    Moray Gub wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

+1

How do you know it's going to be on TV? That wasn't the case for Missouri, Utah or Georgia.
  • DaveyL
    It doesn't matter if it's on telly. Thanks to Matt Rendell's advice, I can just imagine the race in my head while it's on.

I see myself getting a late call-up and taking the overall with a Swashbuckling attack on the queen stage.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

+1

How do you know it's going to be on TV? That wasn't the case for Missouri, Utah or Georgia.

Ok changed that for you

at least some of us can see the positive side of more racing
  • moray_gub
    Just what we need.
    Another race to play second-fiddle to the Tour of California.
    Which was, in itself, a boring non-event.
    One for the baseball-cap-backward Texas long-horn brigade......................they're welcome to it!

In an era where races are folding quicker than an England defence against Germany i would have thought any new race is welcome.
  • afx237vi
    Any new race on the calendar is a good thing, but there's hardly a lack of choice for teams at this time of year. This week alone we have Poland, Burgos, Denmark and Paris-Correze.

When a team like Cervelo is spread so thin that it can't even send a team to the two new Canadian races, an abundance of racing is not always a good thing. The Tour of Colorado needs the top pro teams more than they need the Tour of Colorado.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    Any new race on the calendar is a good thing, but there's hardly a lack of choice for teams at this time of year. This week alone we have Poland, Burgos, Denmark and Paris-Correze.

When a team like Cervelo is spread so thin that it can't even send a team to the two new Canadian races, an abundance of racing is not always a good thing. The Tour of Colorado needs the top pro teams more than they need the Tour of Colorado.

I seem to recall a year or two ago that there was talk on this forum about this and that race folding over in Europe for whatever reasons. As for all the NEW tours that seem to be springing up. Hey, look how popular the TDF is. Who wouldn't want something like that
    happening in their country. I doubt all the NEW ones will survive but at least it's being tried.
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:

If this race was in Europe it would be welcomed but as its in the States the old predjudices start flowing again.
  • afx237vi wrote:

Hey, you missed out the 2 weeks of all singing and dancing Volta a Portugal.
    Great little race this, with a lot of lumpy bits.
    Pity the UCI didn't put a bit of effort into cleaning this race up a bit and pushing it up the catagory scale.
    Unlike the flash in the pan US races, that, as Moray so quaintly put it, tend to "fold quicker than an English defence against Germany", this race is established.

It also gets plenty of tv/net exposure.

Still, if you are going to try and launch a new US race, it might as well be in Colorado.
    It should be as punchy as Utah, which although considered by many to be the best stager in America, fails to attract the attention that inflates California.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    It would be better, from a spectator view, to have one on the east coast. Pennsylvania would have easy travel from NYC, Boston, Philly, Baltimore and DC.