saw r's

F@RRR
F@RRR Posts: 62
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
not ridden for years suffering a bit from a pain in the backside whats best a gel saddle or padded shorts ?

thanks
Kev
blk-weight.png

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Why not both?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Padded shorts are mostly intended to keep you...dry. Gel seats can be very comfortable at first but the gel tends to disperse after a while and of course they weigh a ton and look sh*te :)

Even though they look like padded razor blades, lightweight saddles get their comfort from springy rails. A Charge Spoon suits many people, and SDG's Bel-Air RL (RT even more comfortable) get good reviews.

Some decent liner shorts (worn commando & with baggies) and one of the above is the way to go.
  • F@RRR
    bit worried about going down the lightweight springy seat route as i'm well on the wrong side of 20 stone :oops: and dont want to bend them . . did that years ago with my stock saddle on my marin bear valleyand i was only 16 stone then :(
    blk-weight.png
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lightweight saddles not only flex in the rails, but they actually flex far more in their chassis.
    Particularly ones with a split at the back.
  • Commando... err...not sure I'm quite that hardcore as yet!
    Chris St Clair
    2010 Land Rover Experience Pro
    2007 Fox Talas 32 R front fork
  • Anonymous
    I think they mean commando, underneath the padded shorts.
  • Exactly - ...shudders...

I find briefs work ok - don't seem to rub, but I can understand that boxers would!
    Chris St Clair
    2010 Land Rover Experience Pro
    2007 Fox Talas 32 R front fork
  • Anonymous
    seriously though, nothing underneath padded cycling shorts, or you'll soon be chafed to death.
    It's a lesson you only need to learn once. :shock:
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Time in the saddle is the only way to get over the pain... :cry:

I wouldn't worry about bending the rails if you get a good quality lightweight saddle. I was 19.5 stone when I started riding again, have an old school Selle Italia, flight titanium on my hardtail and never did that any harm.

Now have a Fizik lightweight with manganese (I think) rails on the Anthem, but am down to a fly-weight.... 18 - 18.5 stone. :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • F@RRR
    problem solved . turns out the saddle clamp was cream crackered and the saddle was moving back and tilting down to far even when tightened to the point i thought the bolt was going to sheer! new seat post fitted and it was slightly longer so i've raised it by about 35mm . added a pair of padded lycra's under my baggies and completely pain free arse :D
    blk-weight.png