Bike advice and panniers and trailers

bbrown
bbrown Posts: 15
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys,
Looking for some advice here. I like the idea of doing some light touring and i was wondering about panniers vs trailers.

I have also been thinking about a planet x kaffenback vs a genesis equilibrium. Not sure about putting panniers on the genesis so i was thinking about a trailer for that. Problem is that i use my existing bike (that will become the new bike) for all sorts in the winter ranging from sportives, club runs, commuting etc, so i dont really want a touring specific bike.

Also as ive never really tried touring before im reluctant to commit fully and thought i would try it like this first.

Just be interested in your thoughts.

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I don't know all your circumstances but if you are doing light touring there is no way you'll need a trailer. I have travelled a great deal for work and pleasure and so am well practiced at packing and when I go on a week-long tour all I take is a Carradice Super-C saddlebag (23 liters) and a Carradice Super-C handlebar bag. I should add that when I go that light I am usually B&B-ing. For camping trips I take a pair of Super-C rear panniers, and bundle the light tent/bivvy bag and sleep mat on the rear rack.

The only time I have needed front panniers is on full-on expeditions in deserts where I needed the extra capacity to carry spare water.

I really do not think you'd need a trailer. It is so much simpler and easier to use panniers/saddlebags.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You won't need a trailer unless you literally plan to take the kitchen sink ...............
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • I can recommend bikebin's as great solid panniers, you would need some kind of soild rack on back of your bike, helps if its a hardtail. You can also get soft type panniers and these range from not waterproof types , to types with waterproof rain covers to types that are fully waterproofed. Lots of options and deals to be had, if your savvy enough.

It sounds daft but the best advice is to just look up different cycle touring websites and gain info thatta away into other options and ways to transport stuff on your bike, this ranges from people who just make some makeshift stuff and bungee to back of their bike to the ultra slick kit you can get thats out there.

Most tourers go with a hardtail bike, rack on back usually a rack that is fully attached to bike is far stronger, I have had the topeak racks that hang from your seatpost and they do tend to move about abit! but none the less for some they are a valid option, two bags attached to back, tent stuff etc on top of these bags, a pair of slightly smaller bags on the front - I hang mine from a rack I have on the front also as I like my bags to be higher up rather than typically over the wheels, a barbag which effectively is like a larger purse to put smaller bits n bobs in that you might typically use thru the day and valubles you want to take with you when off the bike. And then I have one of those triangle shaped frame bags on my bike also and in ther I typically put different tools that might get used if bike needs some TLC.

I think I'm put off trailers because they are just something more to worry about when shifting bike around by other means of transport - and the one thing I have learned here is people don't treat your stuff with the same respect you do and dont hang around either whilst you lump stuff about.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.