Criterium or Kermesse?

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,223
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Not sure of the best place to post this but with people's knowledge of languages as well as racing on here thought I'd put it here. So what exactly is the difference between a criterium and a kermesse? In Britain we call circuit races crits but French have short stage races called criteriums (Dauphine, International etc.). Obviously Belgium call circuit races kermesses and to add to the confusion when I rode Isle of Man week they had circuit races in all the main towns, some were called crits and others kermesses. Can someone help my confusion? :oops:

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    In Flemish/Dutch a 'kermiskoers' (kermesse) is a small local race, with small local pro teams, often on a circuit or loop. I reckon traditionally held when there was the annual 'kermis' (funfair) in the village. The kind of races Kenny van Hummel excells in.

A ''criterium' is a race on a (very small) circuit. For the pros most of those are post-Tour de France spectacles where big riders get paid to ride and win, and others paid to ride and lose. For amateurs/juniors criteriums are proper races.

So a kermesse is a proper race (well, sometimes money changes hands, like in all races), while a criterium isn't - at least not the post-TdF pro ones.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Thanks FJS, so where does Criterium International etc. come in then? :wink: A friend of mine rode in France for a bit and didn't realise the post Tour crits were 'fixed'. He ended up beating the local TdF hero and wasn't popular :lol:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pross wrote:
    Thanks FJS, so where does Criterium International etc. come in then? :wink: A friend of mine rode in France for a bit and didn't realise the post Tour crits were 'fixed'. He ended up beating the local TdF hero and wasn't popular :lol:

I'm not sure of the etymology of Criterium International, Criterium du Dauphine Libere, etc. I guess it refers to the same as 'tour' does, something loop-like. Different from 'fleche' :wink:

The Flemish and Dutch post-Tour crits have huge budgets - Contador or Schleck don't come ride for free - they'll definitely make sure that who they want on their podium photos ends up there too.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    a crit in literal speak is a test mixed with a judgment

EG

the testing judgement of the Dauphine

the international test that judges cyclists

but has mainly come to mean short course test
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    similar to the event that judges the criteria needed to win
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    "Whats the criteria?" we need a criterium to judge that.