Has the obvious question been discussed?

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
What FCN is somebody on a Boris Bike/Barclycle considering they weigh about the same as a small car and are geared like a rope pulley on a yacht?

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    prj45 wrote:
    What FCN is somebody on a Boris Bike/Barclycle considering they weigh about the same as a small car and are geared like a rope pulley on a yacht?

No, I don't think it has... I asked, in the depths of an earlier thread, but no-one followed up.

Cheers,
    W.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    prj45 wrote:

No, I don't think it has... I asked, in the depths of an earlier thread, but no-one followed up.

Cheers,
    W.

I'll guess at a flat 18.

Shopper with basket (not wicker, granted): 13
    You'll not be in cycling clothing: +2
    Same weight as a trailer: +2
    Flats: +1

Any advance on 18?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I pwned some bloke on a gobojo up constitution hill this evening (on the cycle path), I figure I was red shifted slightly as I went past him.

And he was wobbling somewhat!

Is it possible get negative SCR points off of somebody?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    surely needs to be higher - there is nothing bigger or slower out there. It should never be possible to scalp one.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • surely needs to be higher - there is nothing bigger or slower out there. It should never be possible to scalp one.

Erm...

Trikidoo-2.jpg

bakfiets-cargobike-long.jpg
  • surely needs to be higher - there is nothing bigger or slower out there. It should never be possible to scalp one.

Erm...

Trikidoo-2.jpg

bakfiets-cargobike-long.jpg

Notice how much happier the family in the second photo look? They're not colour co-ordinated and they don't have stupid hats on. :wink:

And is it the case that the expression Boris Bike was coined by the Guardian? That was where I saw it first. :)
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Something as immensely heavy as a Borisbike will coast down hills very fast indeed.

Does it warrant a different FCN going downhill vs flat/uphill?
  • dhope
    snailracer wrote:
    Something as immensely heavy as a Borisbike will coast down hills very fast indeed.

Does it warrant a different FCN going downhill vs flat/uphill?

Not many hills within 15 mins of a BB station if you're planning on getting there and back in the free 30mins
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I'd put it at about 15,

about the same as any other shopper/town bike. And is not likely to be that much heavier, my town bike is 50LB. And I'm sure there are plenty that are cheaper and nastier and heavier than that.
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    Is wrong that i'll still feel a sense of pride and manlyness when blasting past them?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    prj45 wrote:
    I pwned some bloke on a gobojo up constitution hill this evening (on the cycle path), I figure I was red shifted slightly as I went past him.

And he was wobbling somewhat!

Is it possible get negative SCR points off of somebody?

errrrrrrrrr I don't really think you should boast of pwning a boris bike........its really not going to get you much respect is it :)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    robz400 wrote:
    Is wrong that i'll still feel a sense of pride and manlyness when blasting past them?

very wrong - read The Hundredth Idiot's sig and substitute "Bobike" for brompton..... :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    okay, bigger certainly in that respect - but i still doubt heavier :D

these things are like chieftan tanks compared to a dune buggy of a roadie...

/tonguestillfirmlyincheek
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    will borisbikes mean the end of london couriers on single speed custom bikes? Why run your own bike and carry 5KG of locks when you can boris bike from job to job around central london for £35 per year and dock it close to every delivery?
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • MonkeyMonster
    tomb353 wrote:
    will borisbikes mean the end of london couriers on single speed custom bikes? Why run your own bike and carry 5KG of locks when you can boris bike from job to job around central london for £35 per year and dock it close to every delivery?

I would LOVE to see an alleycat race being done on loads of borisbikes
  • tomb353 wrote:

I would LOVE to see an alleycat race being done on loads of borisbikes

YES.

I would love to participate in...... erm....... a cycle-based treasure hunt on boris bikes.

Not an alleycat, they're illegal innit.
  • Has anybody explored the potential for Boris Bike racing yet? You've got identically specced bikes with given departure points. All you'd need is to agree a finishing line and you have a race. The weight of the bikes would of course favour the bigger, more muscular rider, so you 'd maybe have to divide racers into categories from featherweight to heavyweight.

There could be distance races - how far can you go, docking point to docking point for free?

And relay races where you go as far as you can for free, dock the bike and wait till you can begin a new session on a different bike.
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    I fully intend to hire them out simply to scalp people to embarass them.

I have a key fob, but I haven't ridden one yet. It must be possible to take a scalp. If you see some fool canning it to London Bridge from the city on one this evening, that will be me (if only there was parking right outside London Bridge station). Can't wait.
  • PBo wrote:
    read The Hundredth Idiot's sig and substitute "Bobike" for brompton..... :)

Good point - sig updated for the zeitgeist. :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Are we settling on 'Boris bikes'? I imagine that it will be shortened to 'Boris'.

"How did you get here?"

"Borised it over"

Gobojo is awful. Sounds like a form of tramp....or something Piers Morgan would come up with.
  • dhope
    Has anybody explored the potential for Boris Bike racing yet? You've got identically specced bikes with given departure points. All you'd need is to agree a finishing line and you have a race. The weight of the bikes would have course favour the bigger, more muscular rider, so you 'd maybe have to divide racers into categories from featherweight to heavyweight.

There could be distance races - how far can you go, docking point to docking point for free?

And relay races where you go as far as you can for free, dock the bike and wait till you can begin a new session on a different bike.

Or start west and go furthest east with no more than 2 bike switches? Picking a good route, knowing the BoJoDock locations and not switching bikes too early would all play a part...
    Could be overcomplicating things
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    Sewinman wrote:
    Are we settling on 'Boris bikes'? I imagine that it will be shortened to 'Boris'.

"How did you get here?"

"Borised it over"

Gobojo is awful. Sounds like a form of tramp....or something Piers Morgan would come up with.

Ah, I like Gobojos
    and the docks can be Gobojodos
    If you find a broken one it'd be a Brogobojo
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Sewinman wrote:

"How did you get here?"

"Borised it over"

Yeah, Gobojo is dreadful, it doesn't incorporate 'bike' and I don't know where the 'go' comes from.

I think Boris Bike is the way forward, although I can't see it being shortened to Boris - perhaps BoBike.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Sewinman wrote:

"How did you get here?"

"Borised it over"

Yeah, Gobojo is dreadful, it doesn't incorporate 'bike' and I don't know where the 'go' comes from.

I think Boris Bike is the way forward, although I can't see it being shortened to Boris - perhaps BoBike.

Bojobike is worryingly snappy.

Cheers,
    W.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Given that Ken Livinsgtone started the whole thing off shouldn't they be BoKens which will be amended to BroKen when they are in for maintenance. Incidentally I tried one on Monday and they aren't half bad except for the low gearing.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    dresbo wrote:
    I fully intend to hire them out simply to scalp people to embarass them.

I have a key fob, but I haven't ridden one yet. It must be possible to take a scalp. If you see some fool canning it to London Bridge from the city on one this evening, that will be me (if only there was parking right outside London Bridge station). Can't wait.

Like this :) :twisted:
  • And relay races where you go as far as you can for free, dock the bike and wait till you can begin a new session on a different bike.
    Circuits of the boundary?

Boris bike pub golf of the boundary bike docks? - soft drinks and red bull only, of course.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    dhope wrote:
    Has anybody explored the potential for Boris Bike racing yet? You've got identically specced bikes with given departure points. All you'd need is to agree a finishing line and you have a race. The weight of the bikes would have course favour the bigger, more muscular rider, so you 'd maybe have to divide racers into categories from featherweight to heavyweight.

Or start west and go furthest east with no more than 2 bike switches? Picking a good route, knowing the BoJoDock locations and not switching bikes too early would all play a part...

How about a N-E-S-W between the docks challenge?

Furthest North: Angel
    Furthest East: Whitechapel
    Furthest South: Oval
    Furthest West: Olympia

Meet at Angel, ride to East, then South, then West and back tyo Angel in the shortest time, and as few changes as possible. Enforced change at the checkpoints, to register times on the system.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • lardboy wrote:
    dhope wrote:

How about a N-E-S-W between the docks challenge?

Furthest North: Angel
    Furthest East: Whitechapel
    Furthest South: Oval
    Furthest West: Olympia

Meet at Angel, ride to East, then South, then West and back tyo Angel in the shortest time, and as few changes as possible. Enforced change at the checkpoints, to register times on the system.

Doing a quick cyclestreets.net route plan, the N-E-S-W-N looks tantalisingly close to a 2-hour ride. Doing each leg in under 30 minutes would merit a BoBi Dazzler award :wink:

N - E http://www.londoncyclehire.org/journey/196175/
    E - S http://www.londoncyclehire.org/journey/196180/
    S - W http://www.londoncyclehire.org/journey/196185/
    W - N http://www.londoncyclehire.org/journey/196194/
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    No changes would be the ideal, but with the spinny gear, I reckon you'd be pushing it to get under 30 mins for each leg. Perhaps late at night, with emptier roads and a flexible attitude to red lights...
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits