Ricco. Where will he end up?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Cyclingnews say he's been linked to 2 Pro Tour teams.

Obviously we know about Quick.Step but they also mention CdE.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    I'm surprised Lampre aren't after him.
  • Are Flaminia folding ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sky.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Hopefully obscurity
    M.Rushton
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In front of CONI again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Are Flaminia folding ?

Nope he's bought out his contract. With the 75,000 Euro he's not using for drugs this year.

Ahem.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Does anyone care?
    I hope the riders start voicing their opinions more often like they did at the Tour of Austria.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    astana :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Does anyone care?

Well, yeah. He's a weasel, but he's still a good rider. And a genuine threat, especially with a decent team around him.

Lots of people felt similarly about people like Vino and Basso - and look what they have done recently....
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    If he's serious about turning over a new leaf how about Garmin? :wink:

Maybe he can join team Schleck?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In a new interview on Danish TV, Riis said he thinks Rasmussen deserves another chance and that he’d be interested in having Rasmussen in his team next year.
    And to reporters, Rasmussen said it would be a dream for him to be on the side of Riis and Contador.
  • knedlicky wrote:
    In a new interview on Danish TV, Riis said he thinks Rasmussen deserves another chance and that he’d be interested in having Rasmussen in his team next year.
    And to reporters, Rasmussen said it would be a dream for him to be on the side of Riis and Contador.

The headline reads: Bjarne Riis officially past caring what fans think.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I'd like to see Rasmussen return, lets see if he can do it now. I hope Riis does sign him.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2010
    Ricco paid 75k euro to buy himself out of his current contract.

Doubt he'd pay that unless there was something in the works.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    As well as being cheats and liars, both riders have another thing in common: they cause friction on a team. Rasmussen famously had a bust up on the Rabobank team because he objected to a mechanic applying a layer of lacquer to his handlebars and his intense personality was too much for team mates.
  • Did the lacquer reflect the light badly off his all black riding kit? :lol:
  • iainf72
    Did the lacquer reflect the light badly off his all black riding kit? :lol:

He wasn't really one of them, I believe.

The Chicken and Contador are on fairly good terms and get on well I believe. The problem with him is he's done nothing do at least give the perception things have changed. The same as Ricco.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Rasmussen wasn't one of the men in black that Anne Gripper referred to. They caught two of them, the third seems blessed as he never gets caught up in scandal despite having more skeletons in his closest than Dennis Neilsen.

He currently rides for Radioshack.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The problem with him is he's done nothing do at least give the perception things have changed. The same as Ricco.

Ricco was busted for drugs, Rasmussen wasn't. Mind you, you at least have to be at home (or where you say you are) when you get the knock on the door from the testing agency......
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    Rasmussen famously had a bust up on the Rabobank team because he objected to a mechanic applying a layer of lacquer to his handlebars.

Was it because of the added weight? I read he was kinda obsessive about that (unpainted frames, etc)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    The problem with him is he's done nothing do at least give the perception things have changed. The same as Ricco.

Ricco was busted for drugs, Rasmussen wasn't. Mind you, you at least have to be at home (or where you say you are) when you get the knock on the door from the testing agency......

It's worth googling 'Rasmussen shoebox' as this wasn't his only transgression!

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pokerface wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Rasmussen famously had a bust up on the Rabobank team because he objected to a mechanic applying a layer of lacquer to his handlebars.

Was it because of the added weight? I read he was kinda obsessive about that (unpainted frames, etc)

Yeah pretty sure about the weight. He had the least bar tape possible and had those uber light bars.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    calvjones wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I always personally felt the bigger issue with him was the rumour of the 'shoebox', not related to his Rio Ferdinand-esque Mexican holiday 'error'. Certainly the thing that dented his reputation for me compared to the missed control.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Pokerface wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Yeah pretty sure about the weight. He had the least bar tape possible and had those uber light bars.
    Indeed, he was the worst weight weenie of all time, always only ever carried 1 bidon when climbing, pretty sure too he would change bolts for lighter ones, take stickers off things and ask for paint not to be applied to frames etc. etc. etc.
  • calvjones wrote:

I have read that one, and I'm not questioning if it is true or not, but, is it not the same kind of allegation as "I saw a fridge full off blood ready for transfusion at a later date"? It's someone's word without solid evidence of it actually having happened.

I don't condone doping, but he has served a ban and is entitled to the same as Basso, Vino, Millar etc....
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    He just didn´t want to have a bike heavier than himself.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Cycles Dauphin Racing Team :)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    calvjones wrote:

I have read that one, and I'm not questioning if it is true or not, but, is it not the same kind of allegation as "I saw a fridge full off blood ready for transfusion at a later date"? It's someone's word without solid evidence of it actually having happened.

I don't condone doping, but he has served a ban and is entitled to the same as Basso, Vino, Millar etc....

+1

Loved his attention to detail with his kit and equipment.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062

That would be scorn, mistrust and irony?

Oh! you meant that "second chance" thing...

I think what sank Rasmussen was his response in the media. If he'd been the tough guy who took it on the jaw (Vino) or the guy who calls the fair cop (Millar), he'd have offers now. His "deer in headlights wondering which way to run" performance must have left a sour taste in the mouth of people preoccupied more with the image of their brand than actual cycling.
  • iainf72
    Ricco to Quick.Step or Vacansoliel is the rumourage.

Do VS not want to go to any big races or something?