One armed racer!

Comments

  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 39,893
    What level is he at (got no sound in work!). There's a guy races in this part of the world with one arm, he was on the front a lot during the Welsh champs. I'm not sure how he manages to sort out gears etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just the local crit series (equivalent of E/1/2/3)

    Has a bar end shifter for the front, brakes are done on one lever with the rear set out a bit so it doesn't come on as hard...
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I believe this guy is a regular on French sportives - I saw him on the Marmotte in 2008 - inspirational

    TM8556.jpg
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    wow that is amazing..
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • He also did 2010. Spotted him on the telegraph. Then when i had finished my food at the end and was on my way back down Alpe d'huez around 7-8pm I saw him about half way up. He was having trouble and looked to be supported by a bystander. I really wanted to go and say somehting along the lines of how inspirational his riding was and to give him some verbal support - but didn't want to appear condescending and had no idea of his nationality (language) etc.

    The balance of the guy is amazing as he gets on the bike (leg over the back as everyone else) but have no idea how he takes drinks.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    What level is he at (got no sound in work!). There's a guy races in this part of the world with one arm, he was on the front a lot during the Welsh champs. I'm not sure how he manages to sort out gears etc.


    Sounds like Russ White - I know him well. He races for the British squad. Both sets of gears are on the same side (and both brake levers, etc). Russ is a good cyclist at any level - let alone on the paralympic scene.

    I'm also a 'disabled' cyclist and am off to the Paracycling World Championships in a few days. I see guys there with just one arm and one leg that still manage to kick ass. Racing with one arm isn't as hard as you might think - although you have to have massively strong legs to climb in the saddle all the time!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I know an ex-diver who lost his leg below the knee. He did LEJOG with a prosthetic lower leg.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Some amazing riders there. Kinda makes you feel a wuss when you don't ride coz it's a bit windy or you got a runny nose.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Brilliant, all of them. One leg :shock:

    Re the video, you'd think they could have at least got the arm that he lost correct.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 39,893
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    What level is he at (got no sound in work!). There's a guy races in this part of the world with one arm, he was on the front a lot during the Welsh champs. I'm not sure how he manages to sort out gears etc.


    Sounds like Russ White - I know him well. He races for the British squad. Both sets of gears are on the same side (and both brake levers, etc). Russ is a good cyclist at any level - let alone on the paralympic scene.

    I'm also a 'disabled' cyclist and am off to the Paracycling World Championships in a few days. I see guys there with just one arm and one leg that still manage to kick ass. Racing with one arm isn't as hard as you might think - although you have to have massively strong legs to climb in the saddle all the time!

    Sounds about right, he was one of the driving forces in the bunch at the champs once the break had gone.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    What level is he at (got no sound in work!). There's a guy races in this part of the world with one arm, he was on the front a lot during the Welsh champs. I'm not sure how he manages to sort out gears etc.


    Sounds like Russ White - I know him well. He races for the British squad. Both sets of gears are on the same side (and both brake levers, etc). Russ is a good cyclist at any level - let alone on the paralympic scene.

    I'm also a 'disabled' cyclist and am off to the Paracycling World Championships in a few days. I see guys there with just one arm and one leg that still manage to kick ass. Racing with one arm isn't as hard as you might think - although you have to have massively strong legs to climb in the saddle all the time!

    Sounds about right, he was one of the driving forces in the bunch at the champs once the break had gone.

    I think he rides for Forza Cycles. He was the British National Champion last year (and the year before). This year it went to a tandem crew. He'll be riding in the World's (albeit in a different category to me) in Canada in a few weeks.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    unixnerd wrote:
    I know an ex-diver who lost his leg below the knee. He did LEJOG with a prosthetic lower leg.

    I have an artificial leg (below knee). Piece of p!ss riding really. It's the above-knee amps that are really impressive to me. Or the guys who have one leg and NO prosthetic. I race against some of them and they STILL can ride away from me :oops:
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    What level is he at (got no sound in work!). There's a guy races in this part of the world with one arm, he was on the front a lot during the Welsh champs. I'm not sure how he manages to sort out gears etc.


    Sounds like Russ White - I know him well. He races for the British squad. Both sets of gears are on the same side (and both brake levers, etc). Russ is a good cyclist at any level - let alone on the paralympic scene.

    I'm also a 'disabled' cyclist and am off to the Paracycling World Championships in a few days. I see guys there with just one arm and one leg that still manage to kick ass. Racing with one arm isn't as hard as you might think - although you have to have massively strong legs to climb in the saddle all the time!

    Sounds about right, he was one of the driving forces in the bunch at the champs once the break had gone.

    I think he rides for Forza Cycles. He was the British National Champion last year (and the year before). This year it went to a tandem crew. He'll be riding in the World's (albeit in a different category to me) in Canada in a few weeks.

    Correct all round. I have regularly trained with Russ at the 'drome in the winter. I can outsprint him for the first 50m then I'm toast.
    I guess you will also be racing with Simon Richardson? He can shift a bit too....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Correct all round. I have regularly trained with Russ at the 'drome in the winter. I can outsprint him for the first 50m then I'm toast.
    I guess you will also be racing with Simon Richardson? He can shift a bit too....


    I know SImon well. In fact, sat with him on the plane to the last World Cup race in Spain several weeks back.


    However, he had a bit of a falling out with the GB squad and is no longer riding with them and won't be going to the World's. (In fact - in Spain he spent most of his time hanging out with MY squad - Ireland)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Correct all round. I have regularly trained with Russ at the 'drome in the winter. I can outsprint him for the first 50m then I'm toast.
    I guess you will also be racing with Simon Richardson? He can shift a bit too....


    I know SImon well. In fact, sat with him on the plane to the last World Cup race in Spain several weeks back.


    However, he had a bit of a falling out with the GB squad and is no longer riding with them and won't be going to the World's. (In fact - in Spain he spent most of his time hanging out with MY squad - Ireland)

    Totally OT, but there is a pretty high chance I will be moving to Dublin within the next 3-4 months. What clubs would you recommend? I'll probably find somewhere to live in the North as the office is in Santry.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:
    Correct all round. I have regularly trained with Russ at the 'drome in the winter. I can outsprint him for the first 50m then I'm toast.
    I guess you will also be racing with Simon Richardson? He can shift a bit too....


    I know SImon well. In fact, sat with him on the plane to the last World Cup race in Spain several weeks back.


    However, he had a bit of a falling out with the GB squad and is no longer riding with them and won't be going to the World's. (In fact - in Spain he spent most of his time hanging out with MY squad - Ireland)

    Totally OT, but there is a pretty high chance I will be moving to Dublin within the next 3-4 months. What clubs would you recommend? I'll probably find somewhere to live in the North as the office is in Santry.


    Don't have a clue mate. I live just outside Manchester! :oops: I just meet the squad whenever we compete and do all my training via the phone/online or at camps!