Worth getting new pedals

Finlab6
Finlab6 Posts: 127
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Recently started using my GT Avalanche for commuting. I have never riden with anything other than toe straps. What are the benefits of SPD and would it justify the outlay for pedals and shoes? If yes are there spd shoes that would be usable on a road bike aswell as I fancy getting into that when I'm a bit fitter?
MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    There is a big debate in the general forum at the moment about whether or not cleats in general give a power increase or not.

I ride with SPDs and I find that they are easier to get in and out of than toestraps.

I use MTB style SPDs on my road bike, hybrid and my MTB

Personally, power gain or not, I like the feeling of being clipped in
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    SZMZM42.jpg

I have used SPDs for so long I find it difficult to ride a bike without them but I accept that they're not for everyone and some people prefer flats :P

SPDs can be awkward to disengage in a hurry but multi-release cleats and experimenting with the tension can make it easier. Sometimes they cause knee problems.

Pure road shoes tend to be lighter than MTB shoes but because the cleat protrudes, they are not suitable for walking in.

If you want to give it a go, some M520 pedals can be had for less than £20 and something like MT21 shoes will be pretty much the same. Best to spend some time getting the cleat position comfortable (the adjustment range is generous) and practicing clipping in/out. There will inevitably be some comedy falls until you get used to them but a bit of tape on the bars with 'TWIST!' written on it helps.

Someone will be along in a moment to tell you that flats are better :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    anything is better than straps!

If you like being attached then try spds, you'll be amazed at how much easier life is than with straps. Or try some proper flats if you're not so happy being tied onto the bike.

As for shoes, if you want something that can be used on your road bike then go for a stiffer pair of mtb race shoes rather than the train type as they'll be more suited to road riding, then use a second set of pedals on your road bike so you don't need to switch cleats.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    t0pc4t wrote:
    There is a big debate in the general forum at the moment about whether or not cleats in general give a power increase or not.
    13 pages and counting :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    well it isn't quite the same debate, anything is better than toe-straps.

SPDs will hold you into place better, you can choose stiffer or more casual footwear to go with it, you can get out waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more easily.

The only disadvantage is the initial outlay and that you need your shoes (although short runs are still possible round town etc. in the wrong shoes)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    also look at 5.10/thin flats combo, it is the alternative to SPDs which a lot prefer
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    anything is better than straps!

If you like being attached then try spds, you'll be amazed at how much easier life is than with straps. Or try some proper flats if you're not so happy being tied onto the bike.
    ^^That is all you need to read of this thread. Oh, and this bit, otherwise you wouldn't know to only read that bit above. and this. Obviously.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Last time we were at Kirroughtree one of the girls in the group was doing mcmoab with toestraps. ****ing mental frankly. Terrible things. SPDs might seem more "attached" but it's easier to get out of them.
    Uncompromising extremist