OT: Wedding gifts

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Okay, so I've been stuck on this for a while, and I'm looking for a bit of inspiration.

What do I buy a mate and his fiance for their wedding?

I can't find anything suitable on their wedding list, it's either stuff that's cheap and tacky (which I've already had a go at him for), or bedding. Yes - it's her wedding list ;)

I've known him for a good number of years, so cost not so much a factor - although obviously sanely priced things :)
Harder is that it has to be small/tough enough to be taken out there, as they're getting married in America.

Help! :)

Comments

  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Vouchers from Argos, John Lewis/Waitrose, Debenhams etc. No excess luggage charges then :)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Vouchers from Argos, John Lewis/Waitrose, Debenhams etc. No excess luggage charges then :)

    But presumably surprisingly more hard to spend in America? :)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Vouchers for Walmart.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You weren't full on details Mr. I assumed they were going there to get married then returning :P

    If they live there, what about ordering something from Amazon for delivery to their home? Or, a large stash nicely wrapped that you slip into his pocket at an appropriate moment. That would help with post-wedding life for a day or so :).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,301
    Not sure if this fits within your idea of sanely priced, but tickets for an event of some kind would be easy to carry. These could be for a concert or similar if you know something that both bride and groom like. Alternatively, it could be something like an evening balloon ride over somewhere scenic (USA or UK), or some other kind of 'experience'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,811
    Aidy wrote:
    What do I buy a mate and his fiance for their wedding?

    I can't find anything suitable on their wedding list
    , it's either stuff that's cheap and tacky (which I've already had a go at him for), or bedding. Yes - it's her wedding list ;)


    I'm not sure how to say this but "Are you a frickin' woman?"

    Hey, I did know how to say it!

    It's their list, pick anything at all close to your budget, buy it and move on
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Or, a large stash nicely wrapped that you slip into his pocket at an appropriate moment. That would help with post-wedding life for a day or so :).

    I'm sure married life is going to be painful, but I'm not sure presenting him with drugs to deal with it will go over particularly well ;)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Slaps TWH with a rolled up newspaper borrowed from LiT.

    I heard that.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Or, a large stash nicely wrapped that you slip into his pocket at an appropriate moment. That would help with post-wedding life for a day or so :).

    I'm sure married life is going to be painful, but I'm not sure presenting him with drugs to deal with it will go over particularly well ;)

    I try and help and get knocked back :roll:

    How about a large stash of cash?
  • His and hers Litespeed's, shipping will probably be cheap direct from the manufacturer in Chattanooga.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,301
    Aidy wrote:
    What do I buy a mate and his fiance for their wedding?

    I can't find anything suitable on their wedding list
    , it's either stuff that's cheap and tacky (which I've already had a go at him for), or bedding. Yes - it's her wedding list ;)


    I'm not sure how to say this but "Are you a frickin' woman?"

    Hey, I did know how to say it!

    It's their list, pick anything at all close to your budget, buy it and move on

    Indeed. If they like cheap and tacky, then that's up to them. Oh, and if you do get something off the list, check with the shop that someone else hasn't already bought it - don't just order it and not tell anyone, as they will then end up with duplicates (you'd think a wedding list would be pretty straight forward, but apparently still too complex for some).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    His and hers Litespeed's, shipping will probably be cheap direct from the manufacturer in Chattanooga.

    I already "convinced" him to buy one last year - and drove him 500 miles to collect it.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    In America - get them a tandem bike friday that also separates out to become a single bike when required. This one http://community.bikefriday.com/travelerqsport - awesome!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    not meant as a dig, but don't be an ass and decide that you are the special one that is too good for the list. There's always one or two and they are usually the ones that shouldn't chose anything.

    The whole point is that they've picked stuff they want/need, and avoiding the useless, bad taste or recycled gifts is the point of a list.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    davmaggs wrote:
    not meant as a dig, but don't be an ass and decide that you are the special one that is too good for the list. There's always one or two and they are usually the ones that shouldn't chose anything.

    The whole point is that they've picked stuff they want/need, and avoiding the useless, bad taste or recycled gifts is the point of a list.

    I have spoken to him about this, and he is good with off-list gifts.
    Apparently I'm not the only one who feels the same way.