Bert as good as confirms Team Riis

13»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    You were right.

Change your sig to CALVJONES (1)

Unless that means something else.... *shudder*
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    You were right.

Change your sig to CALVJONES (1)

Unless that means something else.... *shudder*

frickin hell! :D :shock:

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    So..

Peta...

Maartens?

Someone odd like Steel? Did Cipo ever ride the Vuelta?

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    calvjones wrote:
    So..

Peta...

Maartens?

Miguel Poblet (1956), Pierino Baffi (1958), Alessandro Petacchi (2003)

Yeah, google, so what
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    So..

Peta...

Maartens?

Miguel Poblet (1956), Pierino Baffi (1958), Alessandro Petacchi (2003)

Yeah, google, so what

Would have taken me a long time to guess.....

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Pokerface wrote:
    There are lots of riders that RIDE all 3 GTs in one year.

There isn't. The list of riders who've completed all three in one season is surprisingly short, partly because the Vuelta used to finish a few days before the Giro, and partly because it's so physically demanding.

I've quickly looked for a list, which I've seen before, but can't find it but the number of riders who've completed all three in a season is less than fifty.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    arrieta... used to finish in the top 10 in all 3 IIRC
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Marino Lejarreta Arrizabalaga - El Junco de Berriz - did it 4 times, an all time record.

His best years in terms of GC placings were...
    5th, Overall, Tour de France
    10th, Overall, Giro d'Italia
    20th, Overall, Vuelta a España
    5th, Overall, Tour de France
    1st, Stage 14
    7th, Overall, Giro d'Italia
    55th, Overall, Vuelta a España
    3rd, Overall, Vuelta a España
    5th, Overall, Giro d'Italia (and one stage win)
    53rd, Overall, Tour de France

He also won 5 stages at the Vuelta, 2 at the Giro and one at the Tour. He also won the overall of the Tour once.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mididoctors
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Marino Lejarreta Arrizabalaga - El Junco de Berriz - did it 4 times, an all time record.

thats the one I was trying to remember
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    pb21 wrote:
    Has anyone even attempted all three before, who could in theory be expected to pull it off, Merykx maybe?

I was thinking Merckx and got a bit dizzy checking what he *did* achieve. According to Wikipedia he was asked by the organisers not to ride the Tour in 1973. So instead in 1973 he rode and won the Giro, then rode the Vuelta and won the race, the points classification, the combined classification and 6 stages. Oh, having already won Paris-Roubaix and Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

Bit of a comedown from the first Tour he rode in 1969 where he won the race (by 18 minutes), the points competition, the KoM, the combativity award, the team competition and 6 stages. When he was 24.

I know this is all old news to you guys but still. Bloody hell, eh?
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • mididoctors
    msw wrote:
    pb21 wrote:
    Has anyone even attempted all three before, who could in theory be expected to pull it off, Merykx maybe?

I was thinking Merckx and got a bit dizzy checking what he *did* achieve. According to Wikipedia he was asked by the organisers not to ride the Tour in 1973. So instead in 1973 he rode and won the Giro, then rode the Vuelta and won the race, the points classification, the combined classification and 6 stages. Oh, having already won Paris-Roubaix and Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

Bit of a comedown from the first Tour he rode in 1969 where he won the race (by 18 minutes), the points competition, the KoM, the combativity award, the team competition and 6 stages. When he was 24.

I know this is all old news to you guys but still. Bloody hell, eh?

yes he was quite a cyclist
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Nobody could even attempt all three in old days as they were in April, May and July. Its easier (but probably still impossible) with the races now being in May, July and September. With spacing like that Merckx and probably Hinault would have had a go.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Timoid. wrote:
    Nobody could even attempt all three in old days as they were in April, May and July. Its easier (but probably still impossible) with the races now being in May, July and September. With spacing like that Merckx and probably Hinault would have had a go.

They could attempt it in the old days, and some did it with some success.

Raphael Geminiani (1955): 3rd in Vuelta, 4th in Giro, 6th in Tour

Gastone Nencini (1957): 9th in Vuelta, 1st in Giro, 6th in Tour

Of course, in the 50s the Vuelta was all that big a deal. But more recently:

Eduardo Chozas (1991): V 11th, G 10th, T 11th
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    iainf72 wrote:

Seeing as how he never knew when his top riders were in the process of doping how does he now know they are not in the process of doping?
    Mañana
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Something lost in translation between Riis and Contador?

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/03082010/ ... andes.html
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I thought at first glance the one on the left was Ken Clarke! (apt- left of)
    Read somewhere that Dean may do Vuelta this year (3rd tour) as dropped out of Commonwealth games. Also O'Grady did all 3 a few years ago.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    So, anyone know who the secret sponsor was that now has stepped back?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I deduce it's Saxo Bank, who have decided to keep going for another year.

Ho-hum.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    calvjones wrote:
    Did Cipo ever ride the Vuelta?
    Cipo rode the Vuelta in 2002, won 3 stages then dropped out.
    I remember this because when he dropped out, it was reported he didn’t return to Italy but spent some time in Madrid wining and dining with Brazilian footballer Ronaldo. In 2002 Ronaldo was both European Footballer of the Year and World Player of the Year and had joined Real Madrid from Inter Milan that summer.

Cipo and he had become friends while Ronaldo was at Milan. About 4 years earlier, when Inter Milan had just won the Italian championship, and Cipo had just won a stage in the Giro, Cipo turned up on the podium wearing an Inter Milan blue and black striped team jersey, complete with the number ‘10’ and the name ‘Ronaldo’ on its back. For which Cipo was fined.
    Ronaldo supposedly gave Cipo the football jersey in return for Cipo having given Ronaldo a Cannondale racing bike.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Interesting snippet on Innerring today re the funding for the Schleck team. The paperwork/money needs to be in place now and there is a rumour that the Brothers Schleck have been approached by The Shack :?

Almost a B52s song there - The SchleckShack
    M.Rushton
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Vino saying he would like to have the Schlecks on Astana next year as their deal isn't done yet.

Now that would be an interesting turn! Imagine Andy in the Tour with Vino policing the peleton and Frank helping him up the hills. Would make things more interesting.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    donrhummy wrote:
    Riis was bluffing.
    No potential sponsor would step quietly back when it's been arranged Contador will be in the team.
    Unless the secret sponsor has in mind to help the Schlecks out with their finances instead.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pokerface wrote:
    Vino saying he would like to have the Schlecks on Astana next year as their deal isn't done yet.

Now that would be an interesting turn! Imagine Andy in the Tour with Vino policing the peloton and Frank helping him up the hills. Would make things more interesting.

As long as Frank didn't try to help Andy down the hills
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    So does this mean that Saxo Bank had the stronger team at the Tour??
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    I knew my £100 was safe;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/grand-t ... -the-cards

'A translation error'. Is that Spanish for PR hype? :wink:
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    knedlicky wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    Riis was bluffing.
    No potential sponsor would step quietly back when it's been arranged Contador will be in the team.
    Unless the secret sponsor has in mind to help the Schlecks out with their finances instead.
    It's possible that they didn't step back but that Saxo Bank renewed, and pushed them out. This is covered in the cyclingnews.com article, but it's incoherent (translation?).