Alternate routes Mayfair - Ealing

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
So.

I have homeward route fatigue.

I currently go either through the park or through knightsbridge to HSK, and then head along chiswick HR then up past Acton town, or to Notting Hill gate through the park, then shebu and uxbridge road. Or I go HSK - Shebu - Uxbridge road.

I'm happy to add on more miles, any alternate route suggestions?

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Come via my house!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    My alternative long route home is down the Embankment / NKR / Putney bridge / Barnes / Kew / Kew Bridge then up to Ealing as required. Lots of nice river views.
    <a>road</a>
  • My alternative long route home is down the Embankment / NKR / Putney bridge / Barnes / Kew / Kew Bridge then up to Ealing as required. Lots of nice river views.

That is very close to my suggestion.

Drop down onto the Embankment to show the boys how it is done :twisted:

Then Putney Bridge, Richmond Park, turn right as you leave Richmond Park and then over Kew Bridge and onto Ealing
  • My alternative long route home is down the Embankment / NKR / Putney bridge / Barnes / Kew / Kew Bridge then up to Ealing as required. Lots of nice river views.

Then Putney Bridge, Richmond Park, turn right as you leave Richmond Park and then over Kew Bridge and onto Ealing

Interesting, I hadn't thought to cross the river.

I may well try that this week... Not sure I want to go to richmond park though, I've developed a real hatred of it.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Yeah if you go to Richmond Park that is seriously out of the way. My route is about 2-3 miles further I reckon. Through Barnes Common you could almost think you were deep in the country
    <a>road</a>
  • Yeah if you go to Richmond Park that is seriously out of the way. My route is about 2-3 miles further I reckon. Through Barnes Common you could almost think you were deep in the country

Yeah, I meant I'd try yours :D

Richmond park = no.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Barnes *is* rather odd for its sudden - you are now in the wilds - and now you're back in normal london...

I'd go with that too - drop down from hyde park corner through vic (perhaps) to enbankment and then jobs done - fairly easy cross matching routes once down there...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It's my route home. I likes it. Some fast bits and through Barnes is rather pleasant. :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Lately most of my rides home have been necessary to get back quickly - otherwise I hang a left after racetrack go through putney over the shittest bridge in the world (TM) and then through bit of barnes "outback" and then right and up to hammersmith...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Hmm, I think I've been through this 'Barnes' place before, I recall a nice pub, and a pond.

I like it already!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Hmm, I think I've been through this 'Barnes' place before, I recall a nice pub, and a pond.

I like it already!

The Sun, perhaps? The pond'll be a bit of a dried up puddle at the moment, but it is a nice spot, if a bit posh in a west London kind of way.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    My alternative long route home is down the Embankment / NKR / Putney bridge / Barnes / Kew / Kew Bridge then up to Ealing as required. Lots of nice river views.

Interesting, I hadn't thought to cross the river.
    Battersea power station awaits...
  • AHA!

I avoided Battersea Power Station. I laughed triumphantly at its hollow facade from the north or 'correct' side of the river. The homing device must only function when I've had a few beers.

Nice detour actually, couple of minor nav-fails, nearly ended up on hammersmith bridge which would have been a tad annoying. Then went most of the way to Richmond. Ah well. I will try it again, perhaps tomorrow!

Was I meant to go past Barnes pond?

:D
  • I'd probably go past Barnes Pond and the Sun, Barnes High St left along the river on your right under Barnes Bridge, the Terrace and the White Hart (?) then carry on along Mortlake High St then past the brewery into Lower Richmond Road, turn right at the cemetry onto the South Circular, scoot through Kew, perhaps stop and watch a bit of cricket on the green, over the bridge turn left into Brentford, turn right at MacDonalds, Ealing Rd, across the A4 up South Ealing Rd and you're almost home... :)
  • I'd probably go past Barnes Pond and the Sun, Barnes High St left along the river on your right under Barnes Bridge, the Terrace and the White Hart (?) then carry on along Mortlake High St then past the brewery into Lower Richmond Road, turn right at the cemetry onto the South Circular, scoot through Kew, perhaps stop and watch a bit of cricket on the green, over the bridge turn left into Brentford, turn right at MacDonalds, Ealing Rd, across the A4 up South Ealing Rd and you're almost home... :)

That's exactly what I did! :D

I felt that I could have cut through somewhere to take out the south circular bit though.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2010
    During the team SCR madness my route was, embankment, parliament square, embankment, left on battersea bridge, immediately right at bottom (lovely hidden bits on London down there) up through Battersea, Wandsworth, Putney (south circ is very nice to ride along here), possibly up round RP, Richmond and then on up into Westerly west west London.

Lovely ride although Wandsworth is a bit motorway like, good fun though!

Can average over 16mph doing that route, very few traffic lights.

For a bit of a shorter route carry on at battersea bridge, turn right onto lillie road, up into brompton cemetery (lovely) and then across fulham and onto King Street and CHR.
  • I've never found an easy alternative, and that S Circ bit can be fun - its short, fast, no potholes, and there's some sport to be had if you time your approach to the lights at Kew Green...you can see them from long way off. :P Just make sure that there's nothing coming towards you from Kew Bridge.

I felt that I could have cut through somewhere to take out the south circular bit though.

You can. Take the next right after the brewery (Williams Lane). Cycle along it until you reach thispath that allows you to get onto the A316. Stay on the path as you cycle over Chiswick Bridge(all legal), then cross over the A316 at the lights and head down Hartington Road and after 1 mile you arrive at the north side of Kew Bridge.
  • Ooooh interesting, thanks Coopster!

And I'll try that one too prj45.

How do you tell which bridge is which? Are they helpfully labelled somewhere on the bridge?

You can. Take the next right after the brewery (Williams Lane). Cycle along it until you reach thispath that allows you to get onto the A316. Stay on the path as you cycle over Chiswick Bridge(all legal), then cross over the A316 at the lights and head down Hartington Road and after 1 mile you arrive at the north side of Kew Bridge.

I'll try and remember that next time, but doesn't it involve carrying the bike up some steps to get on to the bridge? This is OK if you want to practice for the cyclocross season <shudder> or if you have spd shoes...Not sure I'd fancy it with Look cleats though...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited August 2010
    I'd probably go past Barnes Pond and the Sun, Barnes High St left along the river on your right under Barnes Bridge, the Terrace and the White Hart (?) then carry on along Mortlake High St then past the brewery into Lower Richmond Road, turn right at the cemetry onto the South Circular, scoot through Kew, perhaps stop and watch a bit of cricket on the green, over the bridge turn left into Brentford, turn right at MacDonalds, Ealing Rd, across the A4 up South Ealing Rd and you're almost home... :)

I'll try and remember that next time, but doesn't it involve carrying the bike up some steps to get on to the bridge? This is OK if you want to practice for the cyclocross season <shudder> or if you have spd shoes...Not sure I'd fancy it with Look cleats though...
    Nope, that path isn't down by the river. Should be fine.

Of course, if it were me I'd be tempted to nip down to the river, turn right and end up in The Ship...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • You can. Take the next right after the brewery (Williams Lane). Cycle along it until you reach thispath that allows you to get onto the A316. Stay on the path as you cycle over Chiswick Bridge(all legal), then cross over the A316 at the lights and head down Hartington Road and after 1 mile you arrive at the north side of Kew Bridge.

No, I think you are thinking about the route onto the Bridge from the tow path.

This route is a weave between the metal poles and a couple of switch backs. No need to dismount from the bike.

n.b. If you reach the river or a pub named *The Ship, you have missed this cut through or taken the right before the brewery.

*or in need of a pitstop
  • JonGinge wrote:
    I'd probably go past Barnes Pond and the Sun, Barnes High St left along the river on your right under Barnes Bridge, the Terrace and the White Hart (?) then carry on along Mortlake High St then past the brewery into Lower Richmond Road, turn right at the cemetry onto the South Circular, scoot through Kew, perhaps stop and watch a bit of cricket on the green, over the bridge turn left into Brentford, turn right at MacDonalds, Ealing Rd, across the A4 up South Ealing Rd and you're almost home... :)

Nope, that path isn't down by the river. Should be fine.

Of course, if it were me I'd be tempted to nip down to the river, turn right and end up in The Ship...

:? Sadly, I'm really not one for pubs...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    How do you tell which bridge is which? Are they helpfully labelled somewhere on the bridge?

In the main, but I don't think Battersea bridge is. It's this one though:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=B ... 7,,0,21.42
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    There ought to be some sort of mnemonic.

Going upstream, the order is:

Westminster
    Lambeth
    Vauxhall
    Chelsea
    Albert
    Battersea
    Wandsworth
    Putney
    Hammersmith
    Chiswick
    Kew

I've left out the rail bridges obviously.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • prj45 wrote:

In the main, but I don't think Battersea bridge is. It's this one though:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=B ... 7,,0,21.42

Ah, well, of course it's not the one nearest battersea power station.

That would be way too easy.

Grumble grumble.

:wink:
  • rjsterry wrote:
    There ought to be some sort of mnemonic.

Going upstream, the order is:

Westminster
    Lambeth
    Vauxhall
    Chelsea
    Albert
    Battersea
    Wandsworth
    Putney
    Hammersmith
    Chiswick
    Kew

I've left out the rail bridges obviously.

Gah.

What's wrong with a whole lot of helpful signs? Hmmmmm? I'm going to write to my MP.

Yours sincerely,

Outraged of Ealing.
  • fishz
    fishz Posts: 20
    As you cycle west along the Thames (after the pond/green) you'll come across a rail bridge over the river. Walk your bike across that and follow the rail line north - there's a path going all the way up to Chistwick rail station. Cross the station footbridge and you have really easy access to Kew bridge via some quiet and pleasant roads, or there are options for getting up north to Chiswick proper. This is part of my daily commute, and is particularly nice away from the traffic, but the path isn't noted as a cycleway...