Clickiest freewheel

2»

Comments

• PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Oh, and just for info my DT Swiss ONYX freehub makes absolutely no noise whatsoever at the moment as the spring snapped the other night and i'm hopeing to find a little packet from CRC in the post pretty damn soon..........
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have Pro 2s on one bike and Pro 3s on the other and the Pro 3s are quite noticeably louder.

In my defence, I got neither for their clickyness so am not a sheepscnut - well, not for this reason anyway... :lol:

AFAIK there isn't any difference in the freehubs between the 2 and 3, so the difference in noise will be down to the amounts of grease in them.
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    Why do some hubs click? What is the purpose of the clicking?

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They click to drive away evil spirits, and to help bring money from the bank account of some people.

Apart from that, clicking is a side effect of the ratchet used in the freehub.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    MattMTB wrote:
    Why do some hubs click? What is the purpose of the clicking?

Cheers

What yeehaa said (the second part...).

It's the pawls in the freehub, like a ratchet - there is no purpose of the clicking, it's simply there :lol:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    My view is that anyone who buys a hub based on how loud it clicks is a sheepscnut.

So you go for colour then :P

Given the same peformance I would always go for the loudest rear hub, having said that I went for a spindoctor because of the solid/nutted axle option and easy change bearings etc.. I have a fromula on another bike which is far too quiet I find it harder to judge speed and be spured on to pedal.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    the halo supadrive hubs are pretty mental...

Mines quiet... Mind you, only one ride old....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • shieldsy94
    shieldsy94 Posts: 342
    ive got a supa drive hub and its awesome, it engages near enough instantly and the sound is amazing :), its an amazing hub that drowns out the sound of everyone elses pro 2 common hubs, and its the same price :). if you want a loud hub thats fairly cheap, get a supa drive.
  • shieldsy94
    shieldsy94 Posts: 342
    ratty2k wrote:
    the halo supadrive hubs are pretty mental...

Mines quiet... Mind you, only one ride old....

It gets quite loud after a lot of hours of riding.