Cycle Clubs near St.Helens?

sam_m
sam_m Posts: 61
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Anyone here a member of St.Helens Racing Cycle Club? (Or not a member but rides in this sort of area?).

If I keep getting out riding as much as I am at the moment, I'd be interested in joining a club, but just thought I'd see if anyone here was local.

:)

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    There is a newly formed club not far from your neck of the woods I think called the North Cheshire Clarion that seemed to sound like a nice bunch of friendly folk. Try searching on here as im sure it's not that long they were discussing on here.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Garz is talking about us !

Yes, we do try to be friendly and welcoming and we have some members in St Helens, Newton le Willows, etc
    Have a look on the website (below), feel free to turn up at one of our Saturday rides out of Winwick or the longer Sunday ones from South Warrington and have a look at us if you want.
    PM me on here, or send a Q to Giles our club sec via the website if you need any info.

Re your original question, I don't know much about St Helens CRC myself.
    I have done one of their/Wigan Wheelers' club TT's and people seemed friendly enough.
  • sam_m
    Cheers Andy - I'll do that.

If it's not a daft question, what would a beginner get out of joining a club? Do new faces turn up regularly, or do clubs tend to be full of more experienced riders?

:)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Joining a club gives you a chance to ride with others, both for social aspect of riding in a group and also to improve your technique and get fitter, etc by doing it with others.
    If you want to, you can start racing or TT'ing with support of other people you know.
    If you just want social rides with a natter and a caffstop, you can do that, you'll be shown new routes around your local area.

Personally I'd say you should try a club or two and find one which suits you - some are very competitive and for experienced racers only, others do gentle social rides, others are in-between : depends what sort of person you are, what you want to get out of it as to where you fit in.
    Most clubs should have a contact number or email address on their website so you can find a bit out about them first, then let you go along and try a couple of rides with them before you decide to join.
    If you like them and you fit in with them then join. If they're not for you, try another club.
  • sam_m
    Cheers Andy, that's helpful.
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
    Hi Sam what type of distances and speeds are you riding. I'm always pottering around St Helens, but sometimes a little slowly
    (to the point where i could walk faster, and bumping up a kerb is a big hill for me )
    I was also thinking about group riding but would prefer to get my speed and endurance up a little first.
  • sam_m
    No idea about speeds, as I've not forked out for a computer yet, but not particularly quick as I've not been riding regularly for very long.

Distance wise, usually about 10-20 miles 2 or 3 times a week, but hopefully I'll increase this soon once I'm more used to the bike.
  • I'm in St Helens if you fancy a social ride