Your local shop thread, good, bad, ugly etc.

13»

Comments

• best:quest adventure in worthing,absolutly brilliant service and their workshop prices are so cheap

good:bike shop in gillingham high street:don't really do high end stuff but always helpfull

rubbish:must go to bikehut in worthing,stafed by 3 year old who don't have a clue,the day I went in there some bloke had taken his giant glory in and was so disgusted with them he hopped on his bike with the words fu##ing bast##ds as he rode though the bike departement
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i only really use one bike shop as it's right next door to my work.

it's tredz in cardiff and they're awsome. really good guys, they've helped me out with loads, shown me how to do stuff to my bike that i didn't know how to do so i wouldn't have to keep hassling them to do it. they have quite a wait on service stuff but they only have 1 guy there as a mechanic so that's understandable. they're not the cheapest but they will match prices. i've bought loads of parts and stuff from them and a few mates ahve bought bikes from them and everyone has said how good they are :D
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    Bikelove, Queen Margaret Drive Glasgow...
    Can't prsaise highly enough. Karl works on the UCI circuit as a mechanic as and when time allows...Says it all... Wouldn't trust anyone else with our bikes
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • I've used most of the shops in York but these are the main..

Cycle Heaven Just 5 mins away from me it should be my obvious place for my LBS of choice but it isnt i only ever use them when i have too. Had a few things done there and although the work was done well its pricey and there more intersted in people looking to buy bikes etc.... Also they focus mainly in commuters/hybruds YUCK!

Fulford Cycles Is where i bought my P7 and got it built, great set of guys, really good value for money, will help you with anything and there really quick had my P7 built in a day!

York Cycleworks My LBS of choice, the guys are fantastic in here, doesnt matter if your spending £5 or £500 they have so much time for you and will help with anything. There advice is top notch and they have some mouthwatering Treks and Marins in too![/b]
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Great (In no order) -
    Beyond Mountain Bikes (Cranleigh ish), Freeborn Cycles (Horsham), Cycle Kingdom (Fleet), and Action Bikes (Woking) - Great service, great knowledge and a really good attitude to cyclists in general, regardless of what you ride. Good prices too. Action Bikes in particular, as the guys that work there are so easy to get on with :) They all get internet cookies from me.

Good -
    Evans (Woking) - If I'm in Woking and Action Bikes doesn't have what I'm after, Evans usually do. Used to be a cute girl that worked there too, so that made visits more frequent!

Bad -
    Cycleworks (Guildford) - I'll use as a last resort, as I personally find the service in there to be pretty shocking. That said, I don't own an Orange 5, so I'm not in the 'cool kids club'. I think there is 1 guy in there that is helpful, but I forget his name.
    Bikehut/Halfrauds in Farnborough - massive last resort, but we all know the majority of bikehuts are pretty dire. Always happy to give out bike boxes though, which I require quite often.
  • +1 for the Bike Shed in Exeter. Chaz is an outstanding wheelbuilder. Outstanding mechanic in fact.

Bill and Keith also have excellent knowledge of all things bike....no matter what the flavour. One criticism I would have is a lack of components. Nice selection of high-end bling but not enough low to mid stuff. But I suppose that's what CRC and Merlin are for...and they know that.

Sidwell Cycles is also good but don't have a great array of bikes on display. Component stock is good though.