The £154 Mmmbop thread

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited August 2010 in MTB general
So, by wednesday the entire internet will own an Mmmbop. Hands up if you've succumbed

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39113

(PS, stick it through Topcashback and you'll get a further 4% as cashback)

PS Cotic Soul and Revelation forks possibly for sale :lol:
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    My brother had an mmmbop in Edinburgh but it got nicked.

If you're serious about selling those forks i could be interested by the way
  • Northwind
    I probably will be, but need to actually build the thing and see if it works out for me. So a bit premature! Won't know if the Soul's for the sale until, oh, September probably but if it is then the Hemlock's getting Lyriks or 36s and the Mmmbop's getting the Rev Teams.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Northwind wrote:

PS Cotic Soul and Revelation forks possibly for sale :lol:

you are fooking nuts if you do. 8)

although for that money it's silly not to take a punt on it as an experiment if you haven't tried one and already decided one way or the other. but i wouldn't be getting rid of a main ride till i'd "had a go on one"
  • I would love to but i dont know how to build a bike so it would be rather useless :)
  • I would love to but i dont know how to build a bike so it would be rather useless :)

good excuse to learn...
  • Heh looking at a dj bike atm so theoretically money is tied up :x, plus i dont think the bits on my old lefty would quite fit.
  • It's very tempting, but the car has it's MOT due this month :(
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    No 20" version ? :cry: I would be greatly tempted but they've not got it in the right size.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    Northwind wrote:
    I probably will be, but need to actually build the thing and see if it works out for me. So a bit premature! Won't know if the Soul's for the sale until, oh, September probably but if it is then the Hemlock's getting Lyriks or 36s and the Mmmbop's getting the Rev Teams.

Fair enough, hope the build goes well
  • Northwind
    you are fooking nuts if you do. 8)

It's not getting ridden as much as it should really. But yeah, I'll be waiting to see how the new boy rides first before making a decision.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    can i have the soul?
  • Ordered mine sat PM.

This and the Joplin at £77 are 2 of the best deals I've seen in a very long time.

Blue 18"

I've not had the shipping confirmation email yet and keep expecting to get an email telling me it's no longer in stock :lol:

Hope not though because I've just ordered a load more bits for it too. :shock:
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I wonder how many they have and how long they will hold them at that price. If they still have them in a couple of weeks i will get one.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I may well get one if i can summon the monsy in time and my GT goes for enough, it will be a Blue 18 inch and will be all the stuff from my GT + a new headset, obv.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ohnomis
    ohnomis Posts: 9
    I'm new-ish to MTB, but hit the trails every weekend. Currently on a carrera fury as it was only 400 notes and well specced for the money, so definately getting my money's worth.

How easy or hard is it to build a bike??? This seems a deal too good to miss, and I have thought about building my next bike, but have also been checking out orange crush/p7, genesis altitude etc
  • ohnomis
    how about if i bought this frame, and transferred everything off the fury onto this? I know it probably deserves better components, but I could do that over time, in the meantime, would it be a decent bike and better than the fury? any help much appreciated...

its an 08 fury with the rockshox 318 fork, sram x7/x5, tektro hydro's and sun rims
  • whats wrong with the fury?
  • ohnomis wrote:
    how about if i bought this frame, and transferred everything off the fury onto this? I know it probably deserves better components, but I could do that over time, in the meantime, would it be a decent bike and better than the fury? any help much appreciated...

its an 08 fury with the rockshox 318 fork, sram x7/x5, tektro hydro's and sun rims

I have an 08 Fury myself. Nowt wrong with the components. In fact there's nowt wrong with the frame! But then there's nowt wrong with upgrading either :D

Sorely tempted myself, but I'm torn with building on the Fury or building an entire new bike. All depends on my wallet and my patience..
  • ohnomis
    nothing, absolutely nothing, its been perfect in getting me into mtb but will I soon outgrow this bike? so I'm thinking about my next step...

I'm an experienced snowboarder, and started riding this summer to fill the time between winters, and am really enjoying it, and have taken to it in a big way! I live in the north east, so I'm lucky that trails aren't too far away, and the gnarlier the better for me!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    That's £100 more than I am willing to pay for a frame :wink:
  • Northwind
    ohnomis wrote:
    nothing, absolutely nothing, its been perfect in getting me into mtb but will I soon outgrow this bike? so I'm thinking about my next step

Not really sure this is a good call for you, it might be, it might not... You've just got to ask what you want from the bike and whether the Fury will do that for you. An Mmmbop will be slacker and a bit stronger but that's not all good.

For me, it may be replacing my Soul, which does a fairly similiar job to a Fury. And it's been great but increasingly I want something that'll pedal to where I'm going reasonably well but then hurtle down it better, the Soul (and Fury) are allrounders but I'm not sure that's what I want any more.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • float
    float Posts: 16
    want this frame so bad. im not going to buy it as my avalanche is fine, but afterwards im going to kick myself for not getting one :(
  • hah i know what you mean i would love one and i thinki can afford one but i dont have any bits to put on it :p, and im not sure how much i would need to be able to get it rolling :x
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Great frame, great price.

But is only great if it suits.
  • Oh wow! Time to decide what frame size i want and get the necessary permissions to purchase and i feel a very satisfying but very slow build coming along!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.