In Praise of the Humble LBS

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Dropped the commuter off unannounced at the LBS just before closing time to see if they could true the rear wheel (3yr old in bike seat has taken its toll). Mechanic fully booked tomorrow, but "don't worry man, we'll fit it in. Hey - headset feels a bit loose, we'll tweak that for you too". In the past they have lent me expensive tools, been free and easy with gear cables and water bottles, dished out tea and biscuits and always been an excellent source of fettling advice. I have never bought a complete bike from them, but have spent my fair share on components. I do sometimes buy online, but PG Tips and a natter can be worth paying a bit more for, even if you don't get a pack of Harribo. Anyway, it is great to experience good customer service and I hope that my LBS continues to thrive in difficult times.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,636
    What shop is it? I live in Kingston and Evans are a bit meh...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gussio
    pangolin wrote:

Bicycle. They are at 120a Sheen Road. Give them a whirl...

You also have Sigma on the other side of Kingston Bridge, but don't expect too many bargains there.
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    I live in milton keynes and we have a lot of very good LBS in fact its hard to choose, you can almost pick by speciality!!
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)
  • I really wish I had a decent lbs. It was quite exciting to have one open up down the road even if the fact that they claimed to be in Greenwich when they're actually in Deptford should have given me a clue about what their values were.

Last time I went in there I asked if they had a 130mm stem. Not having one, they tried to sell me a set-back seat post with a load of patronising bull about correct saddle height. If I'd wanted to be patronised I would have got down on my knees just so they could talk down to me. And if I'd wanted a different seat post I would have asked for...er...a different seat post.

Oh, did I mention it: they're cycles.uk, Creek Road, SE8?
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I have a great lbs

similar experience that they mega busy, and changed wheels, cassette, crankset and bottom bracket all ready for me the next day when my bottom bracket died.

I spend bits in there, got two bikes from there through C2W but i think its invaluable to have a lbs that are friendly and give good service. Had two spokes break in last month and repaired them with no problem

they even had a look at my old wheels for me and changed the bearings and trued them up a bit and didnt charge, well the wheels were almost dead lol
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have an excellent LBS - recently front mech cable broke on my way in to work - fixed it for me straight away even though they were busy and charged 2.50p - plus they make excellent coffee
  • My colleague got a quote yesterday at his LBS to supply and fit handlebar tape...£35! :shock:

I got him to order it online for £6 and said I'll do it for him in my lunch break. I've done dozens before and pride myself in the job I make of it!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have an excellent LBS - recently front mech cable broke on my way in to work - fixed it for me straight away even though they were busy and charged 2.50p - plus they make excellent coffee

This reminds me (and sorry for not using the right thread) - are brake cables stronger than gear cables? I sometimes worry when plummeting downhill on my fixie that the cable on my only brake might snap and leave me facing certain death...
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    My colleague got a quote yesterday at his LBS to supply and fit handlebar tape...£35! :shock:

I got him to order it online for £6 and said I'll do it for him in my lunch break. I've done dozens before and pride myself in the job I make of it!

£35???? That's not even funny!

My lbs are also very helpful with last minute repairs. They will also fit any component you buy off them free of charge, bar tape fitted while you wait - £8. A nice bit of piece of mind for the mechanically less gifted!
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Gussio wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

Bicycle. They are at 120a Sheen Road. Give them a whirl...

You also have Sigma on the other side of Kingston Bridge, but don't expect too many bargains there.

I used to live close to Bicycle and popped in for an innertube, found them to be very friendly and helpful.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It does depend on the staff, we had a customer come in asking to do a puncture for them, they'd been to another lbs where they'd been told 48hrs despite the staff sitting around reading mags.

He got it fixed whilst the kettle was boiling...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It does depend on the staff, we had a customer come in asking to do a puncture for them, they'd been to another lbs where they'd been told 48hrs despite the staff sitting around reading mags.

He got it fixed whilst the kettle was boiling...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    biondino wrote:

This reminds me (and sorry for not using the right thread) - are brake cables stronger than gear cables? I sometimes worry when plummeting downhill on my fixie that the cable on my only brake might snap and leave me facing certain death...

I'm fairly sure they are a heavier gauge cable, so don't worry. I've pinged the head off a couple of gear cables, but never managed the same with a brake cable. Mind you if it's damaged then that's a different story.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    rjsterry wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I'm fairly sure they are a heavier gauge cable, so don't worry. I've pinged the head off a couple of gear cables, but never managed the same with a brake cable. Mind you if it's damaged then that's a different story.

I should check really! There's no reason why it would be damaged so I reckon I'm alright. And you do hear pleasingly few stories of spontaneous brake failure, which is good.
  • Gussio
    Gah! Turns out that the wheel was buckled because the rim had cracked and a spoke was ripping through :? Still, the replacement wheel cost me less than a month of Tube travel 8)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Neither of my favourite local bike shops are still there, really. Alan Dent sold up and moved away. And Smalley's shop is still there, but it's part of a slightly larger group (Leisure Lakes) and doesn't have the vibe it had 20 years ago. They do have a decent mechanic I think. The guy I recall from years ago, Colin, is a mobile "Doctor Bike" these days.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I really wish I had a decent lbs. It was quite exciting to have one open up down the road even if the fact that they claimed to be in Greenwich when they're actually in Deptford should have given me a clue about what their values were.

Last time I went in there I asked if they had a 130mm stem. Not having one, they tried to sell me a set-back seat post with a load of patronising bull about correct saddle height. If I'd wanted to be patronised I would have got down on my knees just so they could talk down to me. And if I'd wanted a different seat post I would have asked for...er...a different seat post.

Maybe a bit out of your way, but BC Bikes on East Dulwich Road is supposed to be pretty good. I had a decent chat with them a while back and I've heard good things about them from other people.
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    I really wish I had a decent lbs. It was quite exciting to have one open up down the road even if the fact that they claimed to be in Greenwich when they're actually in Deptford should have given me a clue about what their values were.

Maybe a bit out of your way, but BC Bikes on East Dulwich Road is supposed to be pretty good. I had a decent chat with them a while back and I've heard good things about them from other people.

Arrgh, East Dulwich Road! Someone tried to kill me on the little roundabout at the bottom of the road last week and I got so angry that I ran out of words for fat, stupid and ugly in a running battle up the hill. And then I didn't get on a bike for 4 days because really don't like getting so murderously angry. But through the red mist, yes, I remember passing the shop - on the left on the way to Nunhead. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have a look-see when I'm next out that way - I've got to go down there soon anyway.
  • pangolin wrote:

you've also got a number of small shops in the area. normally at least one in every old village.

I live not far from Birdy bikes in hampton so pop around there.

there is also Walden's cycles in london road in kingston. though i've never been.
  • biondino wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I should check really! There's no reason why it would be damaged so I reckon I'm alright. And you do hear pleasingly few stories of spontaneous brake failure, which is good.

You worry too much.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Gussio wrote:
    Bicycle. They are at 120a Sheen Road. Give them a whirl

Bicycle in Richmond are a great bunch of guys who know their stuff - It's my LBS and aren't I glad....

Also they are getting a Sat morning ride together - 0900 hrs start from the shop, next one going out next sat (14th) - caters to all comers - apparently
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?