Evans WC jersey at Ghisallo Chapel

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Looks like the folks who run the chapel have asked Cuddles for a jersey to display, and he's agreed. So they're doing a ceremony etc later this week.

He proving to be a very popular champion with everyone!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Certainly is.

It's easy being popular if you put in the effort of racing lots of big races, and coming across as honest and human, which he does.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He also does more than ride a bike, think about his pro-Tibet stance in Beijing and he does some behind the scenes charidee too.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    iainf72 wrote:
    Looks like the folks who run the chapel have asked Cuddles for a jersey to display, and he's agreed. So they're doing a ceremony etc later this week.

He proving to be a very popular champion with everyone!

Iain, where did you the info? I'll be nearby, so it would be good to take a ride up to see this
    www.dotcycling.com
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    dont touch me or I cut off your head
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    emadden wrote:

Iain, where did you the info? I'll be nearby, so it would be good to take a ride up to see this

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... &cod=31456

Doing a meet the fans afterwards, so if you do pop up, get some snaps
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    iainf72 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Thanks Iain... will try to get there... but its scheduled for 10.30am... It will be tight to ride out of Como to be there on time. If the weather is good, I'll give it a shot :-)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • I'm a bit disappointed in you all, this should be a learning experience for all.

I use to have old cycle sport magazines and I forget which bicycle maker or even what product it was that made a big deal about the Madonna di Ghisallo, seems I faintly remember it, meaning a Medal even being a headbadge or something. Maybe someone knows which company it was.

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/catholic- ... l/sku/6932 A bit here and I'm sure there is plenty in the Italian language on this, which I can read cause I read Spanish :wink: ....
    As the story spread, the Madonna del Ghisallo became known as patroness of local travellers. In more recent times, cyclists would often stop to rest and pray at the chapel, which is a local landmark, and is at the top of a steep hill. After World War II, Father Ermelindo Vigano, pastor at the shrine, proposed Ghisallo as the site of an Italian shrine for bicyclists, and she was given as patroness of cyclists on 13 October 1949 by Pope Pius XII. The chapel has become equal part religious shrine, part cycling museum, with artifacts and photos from the sport. There is an eternal flame that burns there in memory of the cyclists of are no longer with us, and services each Christmas Eve and the Feast of All Souls commemorate them.

If any of you have been to this Chapel/Museum, you should fill us in. This is real interesting.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Just watch he doesn't headbutt you
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Should be the one from the Monte Pasci stage from this year's Giro, complete with mud stains?

MG, demonstrating your warmth and compassion for others as usual :roll:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • moray_gub
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Should be the one from the Monte Pasci stage from this year's Giro, complete with mud stains?

MG, demonstrating your warmth and compassion for others as usual :roll:

What was that you were saying about focusing on the poster in an earlier thread :roll:

Anyway back to the issue at hand i am just pointing out the other side to Cadel Evans that is kinda being airbrushed out.That said he has worn the jersey with distinction
  • Kuota64
    Kuota64 Posts: 3
    Anyway back to the issue at hand i am just pointing out the other side to Cadel Evans that is kinda being airbrushed out.That said he has worn the jersey with distinction[/quote]

Nothing is being airbrushed out, it's a thread about donating a jersey, not an analysis of his personality which for better or worse, has been covered a length elsewhere.

Evans is donating a jersey, why is there a need to comment on how he has reacted to the press/public under pressure?

If you feel the need to be critical about someone doing positive then perhaps it says a lot more about you than them :roll:
  • moray_gub
    Kuota64 wrote:
    Anyway back to the issue at hand i am just pointing out the other side to Cadel Evans that is kinda being airbrushed out.That said he has worn the jersey with distinction

Nothing is being airbrushed out, it's a thread about donating a jersey, not an analysis of his personality which for better or worse, has been covered a length elsewhere.

Evans is donating a jersey, why is there a need to comment on how he has reacted to the press/public under pressure?

If you feel the need to be critical about someone doing positive then perhaps it says a lot more about you than them :roll:[/quote]

Where was i critical about him donating a jersey ?
    You are new round here right ......in time you will get how this developing thread thing works.
  • Kuota64
    Been reading the forum for years, just had a spare moment to finally sign in and post. Quantity of posts is not an indication of quality I'd suggest.

So we'll change 'about' to 'when' shall we? Point is you felt the need to raise a criticism about someone when they did something positive..and there was no need or relevance in the context of this thread

If someone donates to charity, should I then point out that they yelled abuse at someone while driving down the road as if it's relevant?

Your condescension is not required. Like I said, you derailed a 'positive' thread because of your own attitude towards a pro rider. If that's what you consider appropriate thread development don't be surprised when someone comments :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kuota, glad you joined to post. I would suggest not reading and so not replying to any post made by the guy above you with the dodgy avatar as inevitably she has something annoying to write, unrelated to the topic and totally designed to provoke a reaction.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "It is a great honor to wear the jersey of the World Champion, but it is also a great honor to give it away. I always train here ahead of the Giro di Lombardia, and I always stop at the top of the climb, a little out of curiosity, a little bit to catch my breath, and to fill my bottles at the fountain."

"Inside the church, there is the bike of Fabio Casartelli. I began racing in Italy when he died in the Tour de France descending off of the Portet d'Aspet. It was 1995. His accident affected me deeply. When I saw his bike hanging on the wall, it made a huge impression."

"I handed over the jersey today and Don Luigi prayed that this offering will protect me, help me, and he said maybe it would help me to avoid falling. Maybe it would have been better for me to give the jersey away before the Tour de France. He also said that there is glory in everything in the world. His words moved me."

"It is great to keep company with the genuine heroes of cycling, from Binda to Bartali, Coppi to Magni. The rainbow jersey is an important symbol. This cathedral for cycling certainly deserves it."

-Cadel Evans
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Kuota64 wrote:
    Been reading the forum for years, just had a spare moment to finally sign in and post. Quantity of posts is not an indication of quality I'd suggest.

So we'll change 'about' to 'when' shall we? Point is you felt the need to raise a criticism about someone when they did something positive..and there was no need or relevance in the context of this thread

If someone donates to charity, should I then point out that they yelled abuse at someone while driving down the road as if it's relevant?

Your condescension is not required. Like I said, you derailed a 'positive' thread because of your own attitude towards a pro rider. If that's what you consider appropriate thread development don't be surprised when someone comments :wink:

If you think of the Pro Race forum as a large room full of people talking, MG is the guy that isn't really taking part in your discussion but is standing just within earshot so he can but in and criticise your comments.

I'm sure he's a pretty cool guy in person.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    It's not so great, i'm sure he's got dozens of those jersey's :wink:
  • moray_gub
    edited August 2010
    Kuota, glad you joined to post. I would suggest not reading and so not replying to any post made by the guy above you with the dodgy avatar as inevitably she has something annoying to write, unrelated to the topic and totally designed to provoke a reaction.

Pretty sure he can get by without you holding his hand but he maybe ought to know that there is one little crucial diffrence between myself and frenchletter at least without claiming to know it all i know a bit about pro cycling and how it works, old frenchie comes out with man love drivel and post pictures and his knowledge of pro cycling is laughable oh and he changes his avatar to depict what ever drug fuelled rider he is in love with at that particular time.
  • moray_gub
    Kuota64 wrote:

two points

1 )You still havent answerd my question on when i criticised him for donating a jersey i await a response to that.

2 ) So basically in summary with you want to dictate how threads go and how they develop..........aye good luck with one.
  • Kuota64
    Ok, my final words on the topic since I don't see the point of endless debate.

I'll point out too that I don't need my hand held, not that I think that was the intention....

Back to my original post and follow up.. I may have been less than clear initially, but I thought I clarified that I didn't say you crticised him for donating a jersey, I said that you derailed the thread by criticising the man. In the context of a thread about him doing something positive you felt the need to insert your own negativity by pointing out some previous action which is completely unrelated. Something that wasn't being airbrushed out as you claimed, but wasn't raised or relevant to the discussion IMHO! I acknowledge that yes, you did say he's done the jersey proud.

I never said I wanted to dictate how threads go, wouldn't dream of it. Like everyone else, yourself included, I inserted my own opinion in the discussion. You disagree with the point I was trying to make, unsurprisingly since it differs from your own, so be it.

Let's move on, nothing to see.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Careful there Kuota64.

Moray Gub is the forums' unofficial moderator.

Basically he contributes little in the way of adding value to the forum topic. He much prefers to anaylse the posts and critique them.

In time, you'll learn you can just ignore him. It's actually quite convenient for me that MG uses such a distinctive avatar. It makes it so much easier to just skim over him thoughts.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Kuota64 wrote:
    Ok, my final words on the topic since I don't see the point of endless debate.

I'll point out too that I don't need my hand held, not that I think that was the intention....

Back to my original post and follow up.. I may have been less than clear initially, but I thought I clarified that I didn't say you crticised him for donating a jersey, I said that you derailed the thread by criticising the man. In the context of a thread about him doing something positive you felt the need to insert your own negativity by pointing out some previous action which is completely unrelated. Something that wasn't being airbrushed out as you claimed, but wasn't raised or relevant to the discussion IMHO! I acknowledge that yes, you did say he's done the jersey proud.

I never said I wanted to dictate how threads go, wouldn't dream of it. Like everyone else, yourself included, I inserted my own opinion in the discussion. You disagree with the point I was trying to make, unsurprisingly since it differs from your own, so be it.

Let's move on, nothing to see.

Clearly you haven't met Bikingbernie yet :)
  • moray_gub
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Careful there Kuota64.

Basically he contributes little in the way of adding value to the forum topic. He much prefers to anaylse the posts and critique them.

In time, you'll learn you can just ignore him. It's actually quite convenient for me that MG uses such a distinctive avatar. It makes it so much easier to just skim over him thoughts.

I suppose this is where i differ from you i havent got my head up my arse in self importance thinking that i am somheow better than others.Anyway you didnt ignore me on Thu Aug 5, 2010 @ 2:03 am
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Careful there Kuota64.

I suppose this is where i differ from you i havent got my head up my ars* in self importance thinking that i am somheow better than others.Anyway you didnt ignore me on Thu Aug 5, 2010 @ 2:03 am

Sorry Kuota didn't anyone tell you? We all paypal into a Bikeradar account and they hire Moray to roam the threads to make sure we don't get above ourselvesor degenerate into cyclingnews.com

Either that or Positive Strategies pay him. Or both.

Strava is not Zen.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Careful there Kuota64.

I just treat him/her as a complete bonehead.
    I relate to him as the guy who attempts to Police the forum like a Plod and fails hopelessly.
    Water and a Ducks Back come to mind.

I wanted to say that Cadel is virtually a Local Boy who speaks the Lingo fluently.
    His wife's family come from the area where he won the WC just over the border from the Ghisallo.
    We taka da p*ss but he aint a bad rider is he and he gets there or there about but I'm still not a fan. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • moray_gub
    deejay wrote:

Oh the absolute irony in that statement.
  • moray_gub
    calvjones wrote:

Sorry Kuota didn't anyone tell you? We all paypal into a Bikeradar account and they hire Moray to roam the threads to make sure we don't get above ourselves

In a lot of cases in here that would be a thankless task given the amount of i know best types in here.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Sorry Kuota didn't anyone tell you? We all paypal into a Bikeradar account and they hire Moray to roam the threads to make sure we don't get above ourselves

In a lot of cases in here that would be a thankless task given the amount of i know best types in here.

I know I've asked this before, but why do you (virtually) hang out with people you by-and-large seem not to like? Genuine question.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    Moray Gub wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Oh the absolute irony in that statement.

I usually read deejay's posts 3 or 4 times in an effort to try and understand what on earth he's on about before giving up. I'm thinking of taking out a civil prosecution against him for time theft.