Rear rack/pannier advice...

type_grim
type_grim Posts: 54
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Afternoon all,

I own a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon Carbon.

80% of my riding is off-road. The other 20% is usually to work (10 miles each way).

When cycling to work, the distance is that short that i can get away with using a rucksack to carry my gear to and from work.

I have a ride coming up at the end of the month where i'll be cycling the Isle of Wight - all on road. We are staying overnight and so need a change of clothes etc.

I don't want to carry that kind of weight on my back over two days as i'm sure it'll do me no good.

I have been looking at panniers.

I'm not sure that with my frame, i can have the side cages but i have seen that there are racks on the market that can be mounted to the seat-post. I can then slide onto the rack a bag that sits over the rear wheel.

I just wanted some recommendations as to what will work on my bike?

The frame is carbon; will fitting this style of rack put extra stress on the seat tube?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Graham

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is this the FSR Stumpy?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH not worth it with a standard carrier, you will be using a hell of a lot of P clips and it will not be that secure and even getting it to say in one place will be fun.

also you may have issues compressing the seat stays.

so yes a seat post mounted one is your only option.

it putting stress on the post frame! no way near what the rider puts on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Is your seatpost carbon? Might be worth getting a metal one so that scratches from seat-post mounted rack aren't a problem.

will your mates also be on mountain bikes or will they be in road bikes/hybrids? I'd suggest swapping your knobbly tires for some slicks if they're not on mountain bikes. (Sorry if you've already thought of this.)
  • Most of the guys are on MTB's, although a few are on roadies...

I already own a pair of slicks for when i ride to work; so much more efficient!

I do plan on using those :D

My seatpost is alley (a Thomson number no less).

What do people think of the Topeak MTX range?
  • What about a trailer?